Choosing Who Will Baptize Who?

LavenderStar

Hello everyone,

There is something that has been on my mind a lot lately, and although I know I'm overthinking this, I would really like some advice from anyone willing.

Well, my husband, teen daughter, and myself are set to be baptized in a couple of days. And I'm not sure who I want to baptize myself, and my daughter. :o

My husband wants an older "brother", which makes sense to me. Someone who is bigger and, well, not a 19 year old (very nice) young man who may tear a muscle trying.

BUT, I would feel really bad if none of the elders get to baptize. I'm sure they want to come from their mission with baptisms under their belt..something to tell their families and be proud of :).

But, then that brings me to more "problems". I don't want ONLY one elder to baptize; I would be afraid the other one might have his feelings hurt.

I'm a woman...but for any man reading this...am I correct assuming this??:confused:

Well, both elders are so different, and I think that is great for their mission. But, honestly, I would prefer a certain one: Elder "A"- just because he is more of a "cheerleader" (in the most masculine way possible...he is pretty masculine ;) ) and, being how nervous I am, I would feel so much comfort with him (he is always like "you can do this!"...like before my interview, and first time I prayed out loud, basically anytime I'm nervous).

BUT, the other elder: Elder "B"- he is the real backbone of them two. He sets the appointments, brings our families together with others, is always the one talking/teaching the most, etc. Yet, I also think he would be the most hurt if we ask his companion and not him to baptize (again, I may be completely wrong there). And he is definitely not any type of cheerleader/motivator. He's more timid.

So, basically to add to that there, is the fact that as soon as I told my teen daughter I wanted Elder "A" to baptize me, and Elder "B" can baptize her...she quickly went ballistic and said she wanted Elder A. I asked her about 200 times who she wanted, so I could choose the other one, and she was always like "I don't know". BUT it took me telling her who I wanted first to then hear the truth :rolleyes:, lol. Now I know :)

But now I'm wondering:

Is 3 different people baptizing 3 different people of the same family (we are getting baptized together) too much? I know we all won't be in the room at the exact same time...but just wondering if it's too much.

Thanks for any advice.

btw, can you tell I'm a questioning/worry type? ^_^

Hello and welcome to the forum. Congradulations on your up coming Baptism! Its wonderful that you and your family are getting baptized the same day. I think it makes it even more special. Each of you can be baptized by someone alse, there's nothing wrong with that.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Congradulations on your up coming Baptism! Its wonderful that you and your family are getting baptized the same day. I think it makes it even more special. Each of you can be baptized by someone alse, there's nothing wrong with that.

Thank you very much. I'm excited...but do you think it would be best to get both elders to baptize...I don't want to hurt anyones feelings :)

Do you know if just GETTING families to become members in the church is their main mission...or is baptizing just as important to them?

BUT, I would feel really bad if none of the elders get to baptize. I'm sure they want to come from their mission with baptisms under their belt..something to tell their families and be proud of :).

But, then that brings me to more "problems". I don't want ONLY one elder to baptize; I would be afraid the other one might have his feelings hurt.

I'm a woman...but for any man reading this...am I correct assuming this??:confused:

I think it's wonderful that you are considering the feelings and experiences of your missionaries.

Let me share with you a little different perspective as a 'not-so-recently' returned missionary: The joy is in the baptism being performed, not necessarily in who is doing it.

In my mission, all those who were involved in the teaching of those who are baptized are recognized with a certificate. And yes, they'll ask to take pictures.

Here's one of me and my companion, and neither of us did the baptismal ordinance... but we're both happy!

2873_1085933481850_1295281_n.jpg

Here's another one, and the blonde guy wasn't even a part of our companionship, but he was asked to baptize! (What could we do?) :D

2873_1085933961862_5836345_n.jpg

Now that y'all can figure out which one I am, I might as well post another one:

162826_1644854854535_6782739_n.jpg?lvh=1

This one was a GREAT day in my zone way back then! I baptized the children, while my companion (standing behind me) baptized the mother.

Yes, I had multiple opportunities to do the baptismal ordinance myself. But really, it didn't matter WHO did it, as long as we were helpful in bringing souls to Christ.

I hope this helps some!

Welcome to the fold! What a wonderful thing for you and your family! I think it's sweet that you're considering the elders feelings and agree that they're just happy to see this outcome. I think they know that it only takes one to baptize though so it's already a 50-50 chance. Have you decided who will confirm you a member? That's another way they could be involved. All that said, this is *your* baptism and it's ok for you to have the experience you'd prefer since it's (usually) a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Honestly, as far as the missionaries are concerned - the baptism is a one day event but your lifelong conversion is what they hopefully consider to have 'under their belt'. Again, welcome - we're happy to have you join us!

Hello everyone,

There is something that has been on my mind a lot lately, and although I know I'm overthinking this, I would really like some advice from anyone willing.

Well, my husband, teen daughter, and myself are set to be baptized in a couple of days. And I'm not sure who I want to baptize myself, and my daughter. :o

My husband wants an older "brother", which makes sense to me. Someone who is bigger and, well, not a 19 year old (very nice) young man who may tear a muscle trying.

Well, both elders are so different, and I think that is great for their mission. But, honestly, I would prefer a certain one: Elder "A"- just because he is more of a "cheerleader" (in the most masculine way possible...he is pretty masculine ;) ) and, being how nervous I am, I would feel so much comfort with him (he is always like "you can do this!"...like before my interview, and first time I prayed out loud, basically anytime I'm nervous).

BUT, the other elder: Elder "B"- he is the real backbone of them two. He sets the appointments, brings our families together with others, is always the one talking/teaching the most, etc. Yet, I also think he would be the most hurt if we ask his companion and not him to baptize (again, I may be completely wrong there). And he is definitely not any type of cheerleader/motivator. He's more timid.

So, basically to add to that there, is the fact that as soon as I told my teen daughter I wanted Elder "A" to baptize me, and Elder "B" can baptize her...she quickly went ballistic and said she wanted Elder A. I asked her about 200 times who she wanted, so I could choose the other one, and she was always like "I don't know". BUT it took me telling her who I wanted first to then hear the truth :rolleyes:, lol. Now I know :)

But now I'm wondering:

Is 3 different people baptizing 3 different people of the same family (we are getting baptized together) too much? I know we all won't be in the room at the exact same time...but just wondering if it's too much.

Thanks for any advice.

btw, can you tell I'm a questioning/worry type? ^_^

I agree with those here, no biggie. If the Elders are hurt over not being asked to baptized, maybe they have some thinking to do as to why they are out in the first place. Don't worry about them. They are there to see the Lords work done, not necessarily do it all themselves. I have a feeling that they will be just as pleased to see you get dunked.

Congratulations to you and your family.

Thank you very much. I'm excited...but do you think it would be best to get both elders to baptize...I don't want to hurt anyones feelings :)

Do you know if just GETTING families to become members in the church is their main mission...or is baptizing just as important to them?

Its your choice who u want to baptize you........The Missionaries goal is to teach the gospel but Baptism is like the frosting on the cake...We are not selfish people we Latter-Day Saints are soooo very happy when our sisters and brothers join the church. For we know all the wonderful blessings that you will have now. Its a great journey. Dont sweat the small stuff. Baptism of familes or indiduals are just as important!!!! The gospel is about Love, its about learning and growing stronger spiritually its about you taking the name of Christ upon you , following Him and learning to be one with Him. Like I've said my membership is my biggest blessing!!! Doesnt mean u wont have struggles, or hard times being a member it will just make everything worthwhile. :)

I think it's wonderful that you are considering the feelings and experiences of your missionaries.

Let me share with you a little different perspective as a 'not-so-recently' returned missionary: The joy is in the baptism being performed, not necessarily in who is doing it.

In my mission, all those who were involved in the teaching of those who are baptized are recognized with a certificate. And yes, they'll ask to take pictures.

Here's one of me and my companion, and neither of us did the baptismal ordinance... but we're both happy!

Here's another one, and the blonde guy wasn't even a part of our companionship, but he was asked to baptize! (What could we do?) :D

This one was a GREAT day in my zone way back then! I baptized the children, while my companion (standing behind me) baptized the mother.

Yes, I had multiple opportunities to do the baptismal ordinance myself. But really, it didn't matter WHO did it, as long as we were helpful in bringing souls to Christ.

I hope this helps some!

I don't know which one is you Skippy but when I saw the picture I imagined one of those tags said "Elder Skippy". :mellow: I know right.

I hope this helps some!

Hi, thanks for the pictures. I really hope you are correct...that the elders just really enjoy the baptism, as opposed of joy being from who is doing it. I was so worried. I already told the one elder who my daughter wants to baptize her, and he looked shocked, lol. My husband told me who seemed excited :).

You actually eased my worries abit, thanks :)

Edited by LavenderStar

LESS than 2 HRS. and my family and myself will be getting baptized! I seem to be the only one nervous..go figure.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes and advice. I really appreciate it. :)

I went with just letting the "church" pick the person to baptize my husband and I...he didn't care, so I decided to go that "doesn't matter" route too :).

When I told the one elder that my daughter wanted him to baptize her, I felt immediately bad for the other elder. THIS other elder is the one that does all the work (I don't know if his choice, or the other's role honestly), and he even gave my husband contact info. about a member who my husband can speak to about a possible career opportunity..he gave my husband the paper right after I asked the other elder if he would baptize daughter :(.

I voiced my concern to my husband and he told the missionary if he would say the opening prayer...so I'm glad he has that to do.

I just really hope he wasn't offended...he is the one that has taught and helped us so much, but my daughter was adamant that she get that specific other elder (as in ballistic if I made her get baptized with the other one). He's just more outwardly friendly with her is the reason why I think.

I have another question though: do the elders continue seeing us after we are baptized?? It's too late right now, but I wanted to give them a thank-you gift before any of them left.

Anyway....baptism is going to be soon, so I'm just praying my youngest ones behave themselves while the rest of us go through with it. :)