Callings

Rice

So, the Bishop wants to meet with me to tok about callings and how at some point I will be called.

I'm getting nervous!

I don't have much confidence standing up talking in front of people I don't know too well and am worried that I will be called to teach etc and just not be able to do a good job and will make a really bad impression.

I know that some people are called earlier than others, so I might not be called for a while yet - but, still it could happen.

How bad is it to decline a calling? Should I just fight through anxieties and try whatever I am called to do?

The annoying this is that I know I would be good at these things, it is just that my confidence isn't always very strong.

That's the great thing about callings... it is another level of learning. The calling, when inspired, is there to benefit the one called as much as the ward.

Although it is not a bad thing to decline callings if it just is something you feel strongly you will not be able to fulfill, let alone magnify, like anything else, these decisions need to be brought up to God in prayer.

I was only a member for a week when I got called to teach in Relief Society. I would be standing infront of RS and right on the first row looking up at me is the Stake President's wife! I've always thought - what can I possibly teach this woman that she doesn't already know? Fortunately, it is only 1 Sunday a month. It would take me all month to study and prepare for that 1 Sunday... I learned soooooo much in that calling. And... the Stake President's wife came up to me and told me how much she has gained from my lessons.

When the bishop extends a calling to you make sure you express to him your concerns. Occasionally someone will have a situation that the bishop (or whoever is extending the calling) does not know about that would make fulfilling the calling an extreme burden. When such information is discovered the bishop may reconsider extending the call.

I can testify to you that when the Lord calls an individual to serve, the Lord qualifies that person and pours out blessings of inspiration and ability to magnify the calling if the person truly has a desire to serve righteously. Accepting the call to serve will bring great opportunities to help everyone, including the person called, to ease the burdens of trials, lift when feeling low, and share in great happiness.

It is normal to feel a bit nervous about a new calling. The Lord is going to help you fulfill your calling with love. He will be there for you, when you ask in faith, immediately! He will not stand over you like a mean spirited boss, waiting for you to make a mistake so he can fire you.

Great joy can be found in serving. The only way to gain a testimony of this is to serve.

First, there are so many different callings in the church that teaching may very well not be where you're asked to serve first.

Second, I love this quote by Neal A. Maxwell (former apostle): "God does not begin by asking us about our ability, but only about our availability, and if we then prove our dependability, he will increase our capability!" (Ensign, July 1975)

The Lord has promised to make our weak things strong:

Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

Like you I was terrible at speaking in front of people, I had a stutter that had developed in my early adult hood that caused real problems. Little by little though my callings I have developed into a very good speaker, my stutter rarely shows up anymore and my anxiety is pretty much non-existent.

My first calling was Sunday School President back in the days when we held opening exercises right after Sacrament. I would need to briefly speak every Sunday to everyone in the Ward, then I would also sub teach at times, next calling was teaching EQ, by the time that calling was finished I had no more trouble speaking in Church anywhere and in fact it has advanced me in my working career also as I have given seminars in front of 100's of people at times since then.

I was terribly unorganized and then was called as Ward Clerk

I got to feeling I was better than some people and was called to teach a class in a local prison

The Lord will make our weak things strong if we do His will

Humble yourself before the Lord and ask/plead for His help, then go and do it. It'll amaze you.

Edited by mnn727