If prisonchaplain were an LDS bishop he'd tell youth not to date non-LDS

As for dating--our young can learn social engagement skills, interpersonal communications, tolerance for diversity, etc. from attending youth events, group outings, and perhaps some 'casual dating' in well-attended public places.

It's clear you've never attended an LDS singles activity.

You'll never find a more wretched hive of bad makeup and social ineptitude.

As for dating--our young can learn social engagement skills, interpersonal communications, tolerance for diversity, etc. from attending youth events, group outings, and perhaps some 'casual dating' in well-attended public places.

*shudder*

It's a scary thought indeed where I could be deemed life of a party, I have heard stories though obviously never went to one myself.

There is a saying that in the lessons (rules) of life there are always an exceptions – this being the exception of itself to prove the theorem.  One of the lessons I learned about my ancient experience in dating is that in important critical relationships there are a lot of important exceptions to many of the rules we like to make.  I believe that for the most part it is wise and good to only date those of your faith that understand and respect your covenants with G-d.  But I believe that in making hard and fast rules like this will put an individual at odds with the spirit.  In short – I do not believe this to be true doctrine.

It is not that I want to take away from important lessons and avoiding mistakes – just that I believe sometimes we mortals take a good idea and become spiritually unwise substituting our opinions as doctrine.  There are covenants and principles that believers should always follow in dating – such as living the law of Chastity and not committing fornication.  There are guidelines that sometimes are difficult to understand in specific circumstances.  For example: If we teach that one should ask the question – “What would Jesus do?” can be problematic if we teach that we marry who we date and that Jesus was not married.  This means that in introducing such a question we are stuck with a situation that Jesus would not be involved with.

I believe that when we substitute our opinion as doctrine we do two things – First we teach false doctrine in the name of G-d which is a very bad thing to do for any person in a position of responsibility.  And second when exceptions are realized by the learner it is not just a matter of our credibility but because we are in an important position concerning G-d then we damage his credibility as well.  I believe this is part of the meaning to the commandment that we should not take the name of G-d in vein or in other words teach our opinion as his law.

What I attempted to teach my children about dating is the same as what I was taught.  I was taught to respect and honor those I date.  As part of this respect I was advised to prepare myself for going out on a date.  Not only was personal grooming part of my preparation but so was planning out my date.  As part of my dating plan I was advised to address my Father in heaven and go over my dating plans in detail with my G-d and ask for his approval and assistance in carrying out my plans during my date.  This plan included even things like the first kiss.  Talking over such specifics had a profound effect of me and my plans – causing me often to change my plan and on occasion even cancel the date.  But it did not all end with this prayer.  I was advised that when I returned from my date that I should again address my G-d and review with him how thing had gone on my date and how my plans had turned out.  It is this reporting in to my Father in Heaven that had the most profound effect on me.  There were times I was so embarrassed that I could hardly express what I had done.  But I learned so many lessons from this exercise – both form having a good report to having a poor report.  Not only did I learn a lot about myself but I learned even more about my G-d.  Lessons that I would hope and believe others would learn in similar situations if they would learn to include G-d in their dating plans.