All Things Denote There Is A God

I took this pic yesterday in our backyard with my Nikon D70s and macro lens. I love macro shots, all the details that close-ups provide (my lens was probably half an inch away from the flower).

Anyway, when I reviewed the picture on my computer monitor in full res, I was struck by the almost hypnotic spirals and other patterns present in the picture. That, in turn, got me thinking of Alma 30:44 with the famous, "...all things denote there is a God..." speech.

When I see pictures like this one, I am struck by the detail and patterns that God has imprinted on the world of nature.

p.s. the attached picture is 50% its original size...I compressed it for easier posting to the site.

Guest Yediyd

That shot reminds me of when I was a kid...I used to hold leaves up to the sun and closely examine flowers, I even spent hours looking into clear marbles and pretending I was on another planet. Thanks for bringing all thors fond memories up! :)

That's a beautiful picture. I believe that most people contemplate nature and the world that the Lord created for us. I believe that he put his favorite things here for us and it is a way of knowing him just that much more.

I also believe that he gave us the vision to create the things that we would need to sustain our lives with nourishment, shelter, and clothing.

Like Charlie in the Willy Wanka movie who gave back the gobstopper, I believe that we will give back our free agency as a token of our trust before we enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to look at nature and all its complexities. To me, it is definitive proof of God's existence and hand in the creation of all things. How can anything so complex, even the biology of a simple flower, have been created by pure accident?

Albert Einstein once said something to the affect that It is lame to see Science without God; it is foolish to see God without science. You can't look at nature without seeing God in all things.

• 3 weeks later...

Like Charlie in the Willy Wanka movie who gave back the gobstopper, I believe that we will give back our free agency as a token of our trust before we enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

This is a nice thought but in error because of misunderstanding. It is not "free agency" it is agency. I know this sounds a little picky but "Agency" is not what many think it is. An agent acts for or in behalf of a greater power. Like an insurace agenct acts as a legal represenative for the big powerful insurance company with legal binding authority. Remember when Peter was given the power to seal on earth for things in heaven?

I do not think we will give back standing up for G-d. But your idea is sound. We give ourselves. But not just to G-d but to others as their servant - the greater we are in heaven the more we serve.

The Traveler

I took this pic yesterday in our backyard with my Nikon D70s and macro lens. I love macro shots, all the details that close-ups provide (my lens was probably half an inch away from the flower).

Anyway, when I reviewed the picture on my computer monitor in full res, I was struck by the almost hypnotic spirals and other patterns present in the picture. That, in turn, got me thinking of Alma 30:44 with the famous, "...all things denote there is a God..." speech.

When I see pictures like this one, I am struck by the detail and patterns that God has imprinted on the world of nature.

p.s. the attached picture is 50% its original size...I compressed it for easier posting to the site.

Good post. Not only do these things testify of G-d but they testify what kind of G-d. I personally do not like the notion of a G-d so powerful he does only what he wants. I think we are seeing a very ordered, organized and disciplined G-d that plans and carries out in ever detail his plan.

The Traveler

Albert Einstein once said something to the affect that It is lame to see Science without God; it is foolish to see God without science. You can't look at nature without seeing God in all things.

It would be a mistake to assume Einstein meant the Judeo/Christian God when he said the above.

In fact, Einstein strongly resented having his religious convictions misrepresented:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

However, he did consider himself profoundly religious, as when he said:

"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestation of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this sense alone, I am a deeply religious man."

Elphaba

• 6 years later...