God's Army

Sunday21

Guest LiterateParakeet

Sure, it's a movie about LDS missionaries.  I enjoyed it.  I also enjoyed Richard Dutcher's other films.  Brigham City (which is suspense and murder mystery--NOT a Sunday film) and the other one whose name escapes me at the moment.  

The only other Richard Dutcher movie that I know of that is set around Mormons is States of Grace.  

He has however made other movies.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Thanks Pam, that's it.  States of Grace.  I love that one too, but some members don't like it I think.  

Yes, sadly Richard Dutcher has left the church and the movies he makes now are usually rated R.  I haven't seen any of those.  :)

God's Army is a good uplifting story about the positive changes brought forth by the resolute faith of a missionary... Not only in his companions but also by the people he taught.... Goof Sunday movie I think.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I think she is asking to attempt to keep the spirit on Sundays.  Not that there are movies designed specifically for Sundays.

I agree.  In my family we use the term "Sunday movie" to mean the same thing.  

Wooow. Started to watch gods army II. I can see why some do not like it. Central characters are missionaries and are completely breaking mission rules. This rule breaking is shown as a good thing. Take a homeless man into their apartment. Give key to their apartment to a young woman. Oh my. Not a Sunday movie

Guest LiterateParakeet

Wooow. Started to watch gods army II. I can see why some do not like it. Central characters are missionaries and are completely breaking mission rules. This rule breaking is shown as a good thing. Take a homeless man into their apartment. Give key to their apartment to a young woman. Oh my. Not a Sunday movie

Minor clarification: I feel that "rule breaking is shown as a good thing" is too general of a statement.  Definitely not all of the rule breaking is shown as a good thing.

This is one of my favorite movies.  The central theme (I hope this isn't a spoiler) is about Christ and how the Atonement can bless each of us in different ways. Some of the characters in the movie commit some serious sins, some just get a bit off track, but they are all touched, changed and uplifted by the Savior and His atonement.

It shows the error of being a Pharisee (i.e. a father telling his son that he would rather the son come home in a casket than come home unworthily.)  

Minor clarification: I feel that "rule breaking is shown as a good thing" is too general of a statement.  Definitely not all of the rule breaking is shown as a good thing.

This is one of my favorite movies.  The central theme (I hope this isn't a spoiler) is about Christ and how the Atonement can bless each of us in different ways. Some of the characters in the movie commit some serious sins, some just get a bit off track, but they are all touched, changed and uplifted by the Savior and His atonement.

It shows the error of being a Pharisee (i.e. a father telling his son that he would rather the son come home in a casket than come home unworthily.)

I see your point.