Fat People Kiling The Polar Bears!

Fiannan

No, it's not Michael Moore and Ted Kennedy on a hunting trip, or Al Gore running them over with his SUV, but...

http://www.climate-resistance.org/2007/07/...olar-bears.html

Roberts speciously reasons that obese people, who (allegedly) consume 40% more calories than non obese people, (allegedly) use their cars more because they are too fat to move properly, and (allegedly) eat the kind of things which are more CO2 intensive, contribute disproportionately to global warming than their thin counterparts

Wonder how many polar bears were killed during the making of this video lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tcRiXOONqf0

Wonder how many polar bears were killed during the making of this video lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tcRiXOONqf0

That was fabulous! I loved it.

I have a question, though. Did anyone else notice how the "Zoftig" women didn't really let go and move? From personal experience, I suspect this is not because they are heavier; rather, I believe it is a learned response from the way society reviles heavy people, which then becomes internalized. It's very difficult to overcome it in just a few days, which is the amount of time I assume these women had to prepare.

I noticed they didn't want to extend their legs as far as the music would have let them, and they didn't want to life their arms as high as might be expected. They seemed fairly robotic, and just didn't seem to move the way the music called for.

I have been thin, medium weight and am now obese. Psychologically, my ability to let my body move expressively has decreased as it has grown larger. Now, if I'm in public, people look through me as if I am invisible. It is obvious that people want me out of their line of site, and so I oblige as much as possible, moving as little as needed, and no more.

When I was thin, I never experienced the dismissiveness a heavy person does, not only from other people, but also from within. So, to expressively move my obese body the way I used to would bring open-mouthed stares of shock and disgust, both inward and outward.

When I was thin, I would dance the night away. I was on a cruise once and was dancing with a guy who called me the "Energizer Bunny." I was lithe, expressive, expansive, and alive!

When I have tried to move that way as an obese person, my psyche takes over and and practically paralyzes me. Because I am obese, I do not allow myself to dance as it is too repulsive and disgusting.

I am NOT saying this is society's fault, or that anyone else "should be" doing anything differently. That is not the gist of my post.

Rather, it is a personal observation about myself, and after having watched the video, I wonder if other heavy people feel the same.

Elphie

I have a question, though. Did anyone else notice how the "Zoftig" women didn't really let go and move? From personal experience, I suspect this is not because they are heavier; rather, I believe it is a learned response from the way society reviles heavy people, which then becomes internalized. It's very difficult to overcome it in just a few days, which is the amount of time I assume these women had to prepare.

When I have tried to move that way as an obese person, my psyche takes over and and practically paralyzes me. Because I am obese, I do not allow myself to dance as it is too repulsive and disgusting.

I am NOT saying this is society's fault, or that anyone else "should be" doing anything differently. That is not the gist of my post.

Rather, it is a personal observation about myself, and after having watched the video, I wonder if other heavy people feel the same.

Elphie

I love the name Elphie if it wasn't so close to Ellie I'd be considering it if we didn't have another daughter

Not sure I had assumed it was because they were professional dancers being asked to go freestyle at least the girls in the fancy dresses.

My brother makes me up CDs to make me feel good in the mornings when I get dressed - I listen to songs like Big Girls are Beautiful and Fat Bottomed Girls lol just makes me feel good going out and I do pretty much move the way I used too.

I am losing weight but more because of my Fibromyalgia its putting too much pressure on my knees - not sure I want to be very skinny again got used to my body this way and I tend to dress for it.

Charley

Elphie, strangely I've found that since I became large I dance more and without as much self consciousness than I used to do when I was skinny...even though I'm aware that I might look ridiculous...I am trying to lose weight, and have managed to lose a little, but I certainly feel more comfortable than I did when I was tiny. Perhaps growing older I've just become a little more confident generally.

Charley, thanks for posting that Mika track. I've never heard it before and think it's fantastic...I also love Fat Bottomed Girls.

Strawberry, I've just watched the video you posted, and found it really sad but amusing...Poor Bob and Harry :(

Elphie, strangely I've found that since I became large I dance more and without as much self consciousness than I used to do when I was skinny...even though I'm aware that I might look ridiculous...I am trying to lose weight, and have managed to lose a little, but I certainly feel more comfortable than I did when I was tiny. Perhaps growing older I've just become a little more confident generally.

Ahh, then I suspect I was projecting my own dislike of my body onto the dancers in the film. I am "nouveau obese," and it's very hard to get used to. I look in the mirror and don't recognize myself.

I watched the video again, after I read your note, and saw much more movement than I had noticed the first time.

Maybe I'll pretend I'm Pushka and do the cha cha. :P

Speaking of dancing, I found this odd little piece on YouTube. I like odd things.

Elphie

I've never heard of Mika,. . . . Not too shabby to look at!

You're probably too young for this, but his looks remind me of a young Robby Benson. Anyone else notice that?

(Yes, I used to have a crush on Robby Benson when I was about 16.)

Elphie

I've never heard of Mika, but I listened to some more of his songs and he has a cool, different sound... kinda reminds me of Freddie Mercury. Is he big in Europe? Not too shabby to look at!

he seems to have done quite well in most countries think his album even sold OK in the US but not sure where - I really like his stuff. Has Robbie Williams made it to any kind of recognition there yet?

Charley

<div class='quotemain'>

I've never heard of Mika, but I listened to some more of his songs and he has a cool, different sound... kinda reminds me of Freddie Mercury. Is he big in Europe? Not too shabby to look at!

he seems to have done quite well in most countries think his album even sold OK in the US but not sure where - I really like his stuff. Has Robbie Williams made it to any kind of recognition there yet?

Charley

No, not much recognition. I've heard of him, but only bc I have friends from the UK.