Valuable memorization

Vort

I have never memorized my last three or four mobile/cell phone numbers, or that of my family. I don't call myself, and the phone book on my phone for the most part negates the need to memorize it or anyone elses.

Yet I still remember phones numbers from the distance past, like that of my mums old place of work (11 years ago) and an ex girlfriend from when I was around 14 (14 years ago). That was of course when land line phones were still common place and didn't tend to have built in phone books and you had to enter the number manually, making it a lot easier to remember.

Edited by Mahone

I wish I could remember my cars' license plate numbers. It's a small thing, and I really should invest a few minutes a day over the course of a couple of weeks to memorize them. How embarrassing.

My husband got me vanity plates for my bday a few years back... so we stayed at a hotel and we had to fill out this form for parking... and I did not fill out the license plate because I can't remember it... and my husband looks at me funny...  coz, you know, the vanity plate is the name I gave my car.  Hah hah.  I just completely forgot I had vanity plates.

I have never memorized my last three or four mobile/cell phone numbers, or that of my family. I don't call myself, and the phone book on my phone for the most part negates the need to memorize it or anyone elses.

Yet I still remember phones numbers from the distance past, like that of my mums old place of work (11 years ago) and an ex girlfriend from when I was around 14 (14 years ago). That was of course when land line phones were still common place and didn't tend to have built in phone books and you had to enter the number manually, making it a lot easier to remember.

I can't remember our old phone numbers... not even the 5-digit one from when I still lived in the Phils.  But baby, I still got Jenny's number.

My husband got me vanity plates for my bday a few years back... so we stayed at a hotel and we had to fill out this form for parking... and I did not fill out the license plate because I can't remember it... and my husband looks at me funny...  coz, you know, the vanity plate is the name I gave my car.  Hah hah.  I just completely forgot I had vanity plates.

Very funny. I still remember the family Chevy's license plate number from when I was growing up -- A12310. That truck has probably been in a junkyard for 30 years now, yet my brain stubbornly holds onto that useless information. But heaven forbid it might remember the license plate of the Suburban I drive now!

Very funny. I still remember the family Chevy's license plate number from when I was growing up -- A12310. That truck has probably been in a junkyard for 30 years now, yet my brain stubbornly holds onto that useless information. But heaven forbid it might remember the license plate of the Suburban I drive now!

No clue what my current one is, but the 1985 Nissan 200SX I had in the early 1990s was KLR90V.  My friend's Malibu at the same time was 257VZH.  Why I can't recycle those now-useless permanent memory locations is a complete mystery to me.

I guess if I could pick a book to memorize, the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is about as handy as it gets.

That would be about as useful to me as memorizing the 1953 telephone directory from Fargo, North Dakota.  

But hey, if it works for you, go for it.   ;)

That would be about as useful to me as memorizing the 1953 telephone directory from Fargo, North Dakota.  

If you can't find anything useful in the CRC Handbook, you've got problems.

http://fptl.ru/biblioteka/spravo4niki/handbook-of-Chemistry-and-Physics.pdf

The best thing about retained knowledge is that it doesn't weigh anything, and you won't leave it behind the day you need it.

If you can't find anything useful in the CRC Handbook, you've got problems.

http://fptl.ru/biblioteka/spravo4niki/handbook-of-Chemistry-and-Physics.pdf

The best thing about retained knowledge is that it doesn't weigh anything, and you won't leave it behind the day you need it.

Then I've got problems.  I thumbed through this PDF, sent all the way from Russia, and found information about the von Klitzing constant, the thermodynamic properties of formaldehyde as a function of temperature, magnetic monopole and supersymmetric particle searches, and the elastic constants of orthorhombic crystals.  

But thanks for trying... I will soldier on.