New and searching. More ways than one.

robherr

Hi all, new to the site as well. I joined the church at 18, left on a mission at 20, been active ever since, looking forward to some interesting topics. I was hoping to find a way to find the missionaries that first contacted me in 1984. I don't remember their names though.

Needle in a haystack, but the lds community can be a small world.

This would have been 1984 in Simi Valley, CA. I think it was 4th or 5th ward at the time. I was taking the lessons at a friends house, the missionaries shared their testimony and I felt the Spirit but didn't join til 3 years later.

Any suggestions?

Hi all, new to the site as well. I joined the church at 18, left on a mission at 20, been active ever since, looking forward to some interesting topics. I was hoping to find a way to find the missionaries that first contacted me in 1984. I don't remember their names though.

Needle in a haystack, but the lds community can be a small world.

This would have been 1984 in Simi Valley, CA. I think it was 4th or 5th ward at the time. I was taking the lessons at a friends house, the missionaries shared their testimony and I felt the Spirit but didn't join til 3 years later.

Any suggestions?

welcome! sorry I would not be familiar with that area. Looking forward to your posts though :)

I didn't know that mission.net existed! I have been trying to figure out my "other" missionary's name and how to get a hold of him for a very long time. I had a very short conversion process, but about a week before my baptism, one of the elders who taught me was transferred. I was really sad, as I felt a connection to him, but he was able to call me from his new spot and talk to me the day before my baptism.

I've kept in slight contact with the other (he and I are friends on facebook), but now that I am preparing to enter the temple to receive my endowments, I really want to be able to send them both a note and thank them for teaching me and helping me find the gospel and happiness in my life. I have friends who converted more recently who are facebook friends with their missionaries, but being baptized in a world before that makes this a little more tricky.

All I remember is a small piece of his last name (we jokingly called him "Sunny Valley" because of where he grew up and his last name), but looking at the timeline I think he's the guy. So thank you for posting this and helping another convert along the way!

I didn't know that mission.net existed! I have been trying to figure out my "other" missionary's name and how to get a hold of him for a very long time. I had a very short conversion process, but about a week before my baptism, one of the elders who taught me was transferred. I was really sad, as I felt a connection to him, but he was able to call me from his new spot and talk to me the day before my baptism.

I've kept in slight contact with the other (he and I are friends on facebook), but now that I am preparing to enter the temple to receive my endowments, I really want to be able to send them both a note and thank them for teaching me and helping me find the gospel and happiness in my life. I have friends who converted more recently who are facebook friends with their missionaries, but being baptized in a world before that makes this a little more tricky.

All I remember is a small piece of his last name (we jokingly called him "Sunny Valley" because of where he grew up and his last name), but looking at the timeline I think he's the guy. So thank you for posting this and helping another convert along the way!

Missourian unmarried: what's so important about the missionaries - they once were on their service and lead you to the Gospel. They did their job as missionaries, and why should you thank them years later? Thank God, the Allmighty, and maybe make a blessing for those taff young men who once have brought you to that status of knowledge you've achieved now.

Not the person is important, but he doctrine, the truth, the everlasting Gospel. Leave those former missionaries go, accept that they have finished their duty, accept that your only relation to God is important, nothing else. Don't give thanks to men, because they've been acting as a medium in the name of Jesus, the Christ, and make a step back into yourself to find out they've been giving you simply the truth, and you've to work it out by yourself, in a very personal way, in YOUR very personal way to that supernatural being, the Allmighty, the Great Spirit, the Father in Heaven. Yea.

:P  Raping a thread...

Edited by JimmiGerman

Jimmi - fwiw - my husband would *love* to hear about the progress of someone that he introduced the Gospel to no matter how many years it's been and there's nothing wrong with expressing gratitude to the person/s as well as G-d.

Yeah - I won't disagree... but what means "fwiw"... please let me know, or I will jump from the Golden Gate Bridge, and you will be responsible for that.

Thanks, Jimmi is glad to see that your husband-loving-about-the-progress-of-someone-that-he-introduced-the-Gospel-to-no-matter-how-many-years-it's-been would love to hear about the progress of someone that he introduced the Gospel to no matter how many years it's been and there's nothing wrong with expressing gratitude to the person/s as well as God.

Jiiiiihaaa!  t1931.gif  Got the popcorn jackpot! There's nothing wrong with gratitude!

What I mean, is, that we never should be appreciated and grateful  for a bag of popcorn as long as we didn't know if it's really containing good popcorn and if it will really taste.

Modesty and humility, not gratitude in the way we are gratifying ourselves.

Edited by JimmiGerman

Yeah - I won't disagree... but what means "fwiw"... please let me know, or I will jump from the Golden Gate Bridge, and you will be responsible for that.

I certainly hope you don't jump, but if you do please do it in June 2017 or later.  The suicide nets will be installed by then.

I read recently about a young man who started talking to an LDS missionary online in some Church-approved chat thing.  (Missionaries with modest physical limitations are really good for that kind of thing, I hear.)  After many discussions and conversations, the young man converted and decided to fly to Utah to surprise the missionary in person, who was ending his mission and would be speaking at a sacrament meeting.  From what I read, the meeting was very awkward.  After the initial grin and bear hug, it wasn't clear what to do next, and soon everyone scattered like billiard balls leaving the young man alone.  He had traveled to Utah at his personal expense, too.

On the other hand, my own conversion took two teams of missionaries separated by three years.  When I was baptized, the bishop tracked down one of the sister missionaries from Team #1, who had settled in a nearby state, to join the sister missionaries from the winning Team #2.  It was a wonderful surprise to see her.

So yeah, I think contact with missionaries is very nice, provided it's done in a way that doesn't create awkward moments.

Edited by PolarVortex

I certainly hope you don't jump, but if you do please do it in June 2017 or later.  The suicide nets will be installed by then.

Okay - then I will jump from the Niagara Falls, instead. Thanks that you've given that hink to psychic wreck. And you'll be hold responsible because you've made me psychic impelled to jump from the falls instead from the Golden Gate in 2017, because I didn't want to realize my suizide before that time, anyway.  :P

So yeah, I think contact with missionaries is very nice, provided it's done in a way that doesn't create awkward moments.

Maybe. But a true rendevous with the Spirit is more worth than a meeting with a  former missionary.

Edited by JimmiGerman

Or I'll jump from the Köhlbrand Bridge, for what it's worth. And you can't stop me, you can't stop me! Ätsch!      s1531.gif

I don't have to stop you... the city of Hamburg will.  Pedestrians aren't allowed on that bridge.

Let's stop joking about bridge jumping... I have nightmares of falling from high places.

Edited by PolarVortex