High Priest class

Is it different in HP from EQ/RS? My husband teaches EQ and I used to teach RS and I was instructed to stick to the lesson and not veer into controversial stuff.

You are correct anatess. That is the way it currently is and thankfully our church has outstanding resources in LDS.org to keep everyone on the same page.

Edited by priesthoodpower

You are correct anatess. That is the way it currently is and thankfully our church has outstanding resources in LDS.org to keep everyone on the same page.

So, you're saying that the 2016 curriculum would veer off guided doctrinal discussions and instead discuss unguided political ones like the Supreme Court Ruling? That's not what I understood it to be. I understood it to be still doctrinal lessons with a flexible schedule instead of the same lesson schedule Church-wide. I didn't get the impression that we are supposed to discuss non-doctrinal issues or non-faith-promoting lessons. Or are you trying to say that the SC ruling is doctrinal and/or faith-promoting? I just don't understand how the SC ruling... or even John Wayne... can be a Sunday lesson in the new curriculum.

Edited by anatess

I have certainly heard enough about the Supreme Court ruling, and enough discussion on the internet to make me sick, which is what the first news of it made me anyway.

And I sure don't go to church to discuss "hot topics" but the gospel and the priesthood and to learn.  So I like the lessons to be just that;  lessons.

As to you Earljibbs, you are the future.  Hopefully the future of the church.  Participate.  Learn.  Dive in head first with both feet.  You have got to be the leader in Priesthood in the future.  The young people are going to need you to set a good example to them in the future.

dc

So, you're saying that the 2016 curriculum would veer off guided doctrinal discussions and instead discuss unguided political ones like the Supreme Court Ruling? That's not what I understood it to be. I understood it to be still doctrinal lessons with a flexible schedule instead of the same lesson schedule Church-wide. I didn't get the impression that we are supposed to discuss non-doctrinal issues or non-faith-promoting lessons. Or are you trying to say that the SC ruling is doctrinal and/or faith-promoting? I just don't understand how the SC ruling... or even John Wayne... can be a Sunday lesson in the new curriculum.

Let me try to elaborate a bit more clearly

Point #1.

Currently the youth "Come follow me" curriculum has 5-7 suggested topics to teach off of every month. At the beginning of the month the teacher familiarizes themselves with all 7 topics and on sunday is guided by the spirit as to what topic the youth are more prepared to hear. This will be rolled out into the adult Sunday school classes as well, nothing official on lds.org yet but keep your ears open.

Because of the dynamic nature of where our resources are located (lds.org) the church is flexible to changing those topics from month to month and making them as relevant to whats going on in the world/church.

For example if WW3 breaks out in the middle east then its plausible to think that the church would find topics and doctrine relating to war and put them into the next months topics or even the current month.

To me, this is AMAZING at how effectively our church is adapting to use technologies to further the work and to put the power of speech more into the mouths of the members (teachers and students).  

Point #2.

Group participation and classroom discussion is the new teaching style under the "Come follow me" curriculum. The teacher is told to be less of a "Teacher" and more of a facilitator of a group discussion, the youth are encouraged to share their feelings and perspectives in a discussion, other youth members are encouraged to answer those questions or add to the discussion. The facilitator (as well as every class member) are there to help guide the discussion with scriptural and doctrinal resources and if possible to tie it into one of the 7 topics that are posted for the month.

For example lets say that to open our class the kids start talking about how there was a big riot at school and three students were sent to the ER with injuries, well as the facilitator I want them to talk more about how they felt as they witnessed the event and help them realize how satan had his hand in it. One of the 7 topics that month could be on the holy ghost and I could tie the discussion into a lesson about how the holy ghost helps us to avoid dangerous situations, in this case a riot in which any student could have gotten caught in the middle of it and get injured.

As the sunday school president in my ward I end up subbing at least once a month in the youth classes. I have put this curriculum to practice and I tell you it is amazing. More participation, more meaningful conversations, better engagement from some of the youth whom would rather not come to church but now love coming to class because they are a part of it.

And yes, various topics like teenage pregnancy, video games, cyber bullying (to name a few) are all forefront in the minds of our youths and they come to class wanting to discuss and confirm our beliefs as LDS and how it affects them in their daily struggles. Yes, the spirit does reside in the class regardless of the topic of discussion as long as we are genuinely trying to learn and understand from each other, and as stated on lds.org...it is how the savior would teach..https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/guidebook/teaching?lang=eng

Under this structure will the rest of our classes function, soon to be Sunday school (gospel doctrine, gospel principles...) Going away from the spoon fed lessons or force feeding topics and into things more relevant to individual members in various different lands and cultures.

There is no wandering away from teaching doctrine rather a more flexible way to incorporate our daily problems with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It has been my personal observation over the last 15 years that the internet, through social media and various blog/forums has taken the religious conversation of our members away from the homes and chapels and into the cyber world where satan has more influence to deceive. By being more open and flexible in our teaching I see our church making the effort to bring those conversations back into our reach where we as leaders can help guide and influence for the better.

Truthfully, I don't like going to HP. Also truthfully, it's mostly my own fault. 

I am 35 and have been a HP for 5 years. In those 5 years I have only just been able to attend the HP group meetings. I feel very disconnected to the group, since I am by far the youngest of them. I know there are things that I can do to enjoy it, but more often than not, I think of the others around my age with young families attending the EQ and become a little disconnected. Perhaps a little childish of me, but like I said, I know there are things I can do to enjoy them. Now that I have shared that with you good internet folks, I think I will try to make it a good experience. 

You could always attend EQ. Just as older bethren who are not HP attend HP. We have some younger HP'sthat attend EQ quite often.

Capitalist_Oinker, on 01 Jul 2015 - 02:00 AM, said:

I have since looked up and read the lesson (Chapter 12: "Seek the Spirit in All You Do") and I can't find a single reference to tools, home repairs, or disciplining children, much less John Wayne movies.

Sounds like there's a whole bunch of fairly serious omission from the lesson manual here. Who should I write to about this? :P  

A few weeks ago in Sacrament meeting, the regular organist was out, so the fill in organist had a problem with the organ, where on certain notes, they came out all wrong.  It sounded almost laughable funny, but I couldn't say anything, other than later compliment the fill in organist.

I know I would have done worse on the organ.

Then in Gospel Doctrine, the teacher was using his cell phone/internet/scriptures and in the middle of chapter 24 it jumped back to the middle of chapter 23.  Half the class didn't notice.  I had to say something about that at the end and then others said, yes, it was confusing.

Then in PH the lesson schedule showed chapter 11, so a teacher came in and did a good job teaching chapter 13.  No one would say anything.

At the end, the President announced "next week will be chapter 12."

We are all human, and sometimes it gets a little humorous.

dc

My amusement and disappointment stemmed solely from the fact that the lesson evolved into discussions of things which provided NO edification whatsoever! I have since looked up and read the lesson (Chapter 12: "Seek the Spirit in All You Do") and I can't find a single reference to tools, home repairs, or disciplining children, much less John Wayne movies.

The lesson on the Holy Ghost was established and recommended by inspired men, and I seriously doubt they would consider it acceptable to discuss John Wayne as a substitute.

Like I said previously, your uptight self righteous attitude about a HP group in the boonies of Alaska not sticking to the lesson is what caused your own disappointment and your own spiritual feelings to disappear.

Im sure those men left church that day feeling that much more closer to each other as they continued to bond, but you were an outsider and know nothing about their camaraderie. Im not saying that they were in the right, im just disagreeing with you saying that they were in the wrong.

You would also do well to read the "Teaching No Greater Call" manual, particularly lesson 14, wherein it reads:

"Many topics are interesting, important, and even relevant to life and yet not nourishing to the soul. It is not our commission to teach such topics. Instead, we are to edify others and teach them principles that pertain to the kingdom of God and the salvation of mankind."

As a sunday school president in my ward I am preparing a special class for our ward teachers to attend and learn from this manual. Its an awesome resource and the current stance on how we want our teaching to be done. That book was also written in 1999. Do you know what was going on in 1999?

In 1999 I was serving a mission and the inspired word coming from church headquarters was for us missionaries to teach the discussions word for word, lesson by lesson. That has since changed into gospel conversations that cater to things that are relevant to the investigator. Why? because our investigators are not robots that all think the same and they are not babys that need to be force fed the gospel the way we want them too hear it. Rather to teach them the gospel from the angles that they need to hear it. This goes along with the current sunday school instruction for us to teach in the "Saviors way" https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/guidebook/teaching?lang=eng

Our missionaries started teaching this way, our youth program has incorporated this method and soon our adult programs will. So those topics that are important, interesting and relevant in our day-to-day lives will soon be discussed in our church classrooms, not as topics of debate or controversy but from a hollistic approach as it pertains to the gospel.

NOWHERE does the Church recommend or advocate the substitution of manual lessons for current events or "hot topics".

Even with the new "Come Follow Me" curriculum for youth with its less structured lesson outlines there is NO advocacy for ignoring the listed lesson to give preference to current events or "hot topics".

You are correct according to the current curriculum for adults (EQ/HP/RS classes). But for the new 2013 youth curriculum it does allow for hot topics to be discussed and tied into a gospel lesson. Read my #29 post to anatess.

Like I said previously, your uptight self righteous attitude about a HP group in the boonies of Alaska not sticking to the lesson is what caused your own disappointment and your own spiritual feelings to disappear.

Thanks so much, counselor. How much do I owe you for the session?

As an aside, I find it curious that you accuse me of being judgmental while at the same time using the words "uptight" and "self-righteous" to describe me. 
Hypocritical much?

You wrote: "Im sure those men left church that day feeling that much more closer to each other as they continued to bond, but you were an outsider and know nothing about their camaraderie. Im not saying that they were in the right, im just disagreeing with you saying that they were in the wrong."

Hmmm?? I've read and re-read my post and for some odd reason I can't find the part where I said they were "in the wrong." Would you be so kind as to provide the quote?

You wrote: "In 1999 I was serving a mission and the inspired word coming from church headquarters was for us missionaries to teach the discussions word for word, lesson by lesson. That has since changed into gospel conversations that cater to things that are relevant to the investigator. Why? because our investigators are not robots that all think the same and they are not babys that need to be force fed the gospel the way we want them too hear it. Rather to teach them the gospel from the angles that they need to hear it."

Wonderful. So tell us some stories of investigators asking questions about the Holy Ghost while you and your companion steered the conversation toward home repairs and John Wayne movies.
I imagine your baptismal rate rose significantly when you implemented the new program.  :blink:

You wrote: "Our missionaries started teaching this way, our youth program has incorporated this method and soon our adult programs will."

Soon? 
Nothing like getting ahead of the brethren is there? 
I can picture it now. 
Good afternoon brothers and sisters. Today we'll be discussing "The Sons of Katie Elder" and how it relates to eternal families.

You wrote: "So those topics that are important, interesting and relevant in our day-to-day lives will soon be discussed in our church classrooms, not as topics of debate or controversy but from a hollistic approach as it pertains to the gospel."

Again with the "soon"? 
I wonder why I've heard nothing about this holistic approach in our bishop training meetings? Perhaps this new program is confidential and only being disseminated to Sunday School presidents, or perhaps you read more into the new curriculum than is actually there.

You wrote: "You are correct according to the current curriculum for adults (EQ/HP/RS classes). But for the new 2013 youth curriculum it does allow for hot topics to be discussed and tied into a gospel lesson. Read my #29 post to anatess."

I read your post to anatess and I actually didn't find much to take issue with. 
However, TYING "hot topics" into a gospel lesson is a far cry from TURNING a "hot topic" into a gospel lesson. Maybe I've misunderstood you but it seems to me that you're advocating the latter rather than the former. The two approaches are NOT synonymous.

I'm sorry this has turned into a p***ing match between the two of us. I never imagined my original post would generate any sort of enmity. I was merely curious if anyone else here had similar class experiences, and if they were common. 
As I said previously, based upon the responses it appears not to be common and for that I am grateful. 

I never once questioned the character or righteousness of the men in that class. For all I know that particular lesson was an anomaly and they did a complete 180° the following Sunday.

What I do know, however, is that the Lord expects those who have been called to be instructors to teach the doctrines of the kingdom in purity and in truth. There is no place for substituting lessons for "current events" or "hot topics", unless of course the Spirit directs otherwise, and I'm confident the Spirit won't often direct a discussion about John Wayne movies. 

• 3 weeks later...

The High Priest Class I attend was quite exciting a few weeks ago ..... I am really stretching the word Exciting. Our HP Group leader told us he knew when the world was going to end. At first I thought he was joking .... He wasn't. I sit there and chuckle as this conversation took up the class time.

"Brother, you've shared with us some of your great insights, and could you show me where that is discussed in the lesson manual.  I want to read more about it."

Anyway, I am one of the instructors in the High Priest's group, and I went down that same road.  One day the High Priest group leader mentioned  to the "group" that we need to focus on what is in the manual. You don't have to tell me twice.

You might want to tell your concerns to the priesthood leader.