How does one defend their faith?

LadyHanley93

LOL Cdowis that is hilarious I really wish I could that to my hardcore Christian friend however I am not that spiteful that I will cause him distress.  I can honestly say my soon to be ex friend has lot of commentary on other religions such as Islam and stating how it is false. He takes great pleasure in bashing the Islam population we have here in Arizona. I grew up around the Islam faith and  my Muslim friends invited me to their places of worship. I must say my experience was very peaceful going to their services. Well needless to say Mr. Hardcore Christian was invited to a Muslim service and refused to go saying that Islam is the devil of all religions. I have friends of all different religions and I accept the fact that their are people that practice different religions. I say if that's what they believe their is no reason to judge. I know not all Christians are like this but do they really have this I am superior mentality?  Was I really that blind to see this guys ignorance? I become friends with him in high school and he was the most hardcore atheist I had ever met. He was friends with at the time me being Catholic and most of our friends in our group where Mormons or Muslims. However, he went off to college and in his Freshmen year he converted into Christianity. He all of the sudden dropped all our  friends of other religious backgrounds and then I got baptized and converted to the LDS faith and since then our relationship has been strained.  I remember inviting him to my baptism last year which took place in June of 2014. He told me he would not go or support my conversion. The thing is I have friends outside of the faith that are Muslims that came to my baptism. I am sorry but now I feel embarrassed that I was even friends with this guy in the first place.  I am actually curious to ask how do other Mormons deal with these types of people? Other than the main answer being love them.

Edited by LadyHanley93

The most disturbing thing he has said is Hating something that is false according to quality evidence is a good thing. Didn't Jesus Christ teach us to love and not hate someone of a different religion? Sorry guys but I find this distributing. I was raised Catholic and was taught by my parents to respect other peoples religious pratices. I don't see the point of nit picking at other peoples religious views.

I'm not responding to tactics, or whether it is wise to engage critics 1:1 or not.  However, it is a good thing to hate heresy--false teaching.  I'm guessing most LDS--especially those with a lengthy history in the tradition, feel 'hatred' (replace with another more nuanced emotion, if you wish) towards FLDS teachings/practices.  You might love those stuck in the off-shoot faith, but you have no warm feelings towards the mistaken teachings.  At least, I would feel that way if I were LDS.  :-)

So, the OP's buddy was hoping to mentor/disciple her into Christian faith, and she becomes LDS instead.  S/he believes this is a grave error, and hopes to yet win her over.  It's understandable.

If this person is not very close to you, I'd suggest establishing boundaries.  "If you want to continue on with our friendship, great.  However, I will not discuss religion with you, because our beliefs are different, and frankly, I don't believe you respect mine."

On the other hand, if your friend is close, and you are willing to engage in thoughtful discussion.  That is, you believe the conversation can become respectful, then I would suggest the book:  How Wide the Divide: A Mormon and an Evangelical in Conversation.  The authors are Robinson (BYU) and Blomberg (Denver Seminary).  Both are professors, both are civil, and they both present the perspectives honestly.  The book is sold by Deseret Books (LDS), Christianbooks.com (Evangelical), and Amazon (secular--and usually the cheapest). 

An LDS poster that used to be very active here recommended the book to me, and I've shared it with LDS missionaries and with Evangelical prisoners that want to know more about their LDS friends.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Wide-Divide-Evangelical-Conversation/dp/0830819916/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439855025&sr=8-1&keywords=how+wide+the+divide

Hello all! So I have a friend who is a hard core Christian and he disapproves of my choice since joining the lds church. In fact he was hoping I would join his church. I rarely talk to him because he feels bitter that I joined the lds church. I made my own descion and I don't regret it My friend from time to time tries to pick fights with me through text message about how I am wrong and I just ignore it. How can defend my faith as an lds? It's not about winning the argument but learning to defend my faith. I know not every Christian in the world is like this.

Have you tried the laying on of hands? A couple jabs with your left fist followed by a quick right with your other fist? :) :D