Usage of Church Facilities

omegaseamaster75

Guest LiterateParakeet

I have no problem with recitals at the church. The church encourages the arts and culture. They play basketball and volleyball ball in most churches, why not have a recital?

Many years ago when my husband and I had our wedding reception at the church we were asked to pay (and happily did) about $75 to help with utilities used. Family and friends cleaned up afterwards.

I was surprised by the comment someone made that Mormons are notorious for not cleaning up. I disagree. Almost every activity I go to everyone pitches in afterwards and cleans up. Mormons are trained from their youth to put away chairs and pick up. :)

I was surprised by the comment someone made that Mormons are notorious for not cleaning up. I disagree. Almost every activity I go to everyone pitches in afterwards and cleans up. Mormons are trained from their youth to put away chairs and pick up. :)

Putting up chairs and tables is not cleaning up, My experience is different than yours clearly. If most members treat the church like they do their own homes I wouldn't want to be invited over

Guest LiterateParakeet

Putting up chairs and tables is not cleaning up, My experience is different than yours clearly. If most members treat the church like they do their own homes I wouldn't want to be invited over

I didn't realize that I needed to spell it out. Depending on the activity we also vacuum, pick up trash, wash dishes...whatever is needed.

Every Saturday a crew of volunteers comes and cleans the building also.

So about ward buildings and cleanliness...

Usually, I go to the movies in the southside because they have the AMC theater there with the new-fangled home theater seats.  But it's far from my house.  So sometimes I go to the theater in the westide because it is closer.

What I noticed is that the southside mall and theater and parking lots are pretty clean.  When the movie ends, the theater is ready for the next audience with minimal clean-up necessary.

In the westside, the parking lots are littered with fast-food bags and empty drink cups and the occasional soda or beer bottles.  The mall food court has litter on the tables left by diners.  And when the movie ends, it's like popcorn exploded inside the theater and all the litter is left on the seats.

Both malls and theaters are only about 20 miles apart.  I've always wondered why the westside mall and theater are trashed while the southside isn't.  I couldn't imagine that it would be simply because people think, oh, I'm in the westside, the property values are lesser than the southside, I should be able to just leave my trash.  That just doesn't sound right.

When you find the answer, let me know.  Maybe this same condition is the main factor why your ward members don't clean while ours do.

Edited by anatess

How the church is used - would seem to be to be dependent on circumstance and culture.  I know for example that in a major emergency certain rooms at our chapel are designed to be used as a morgue - but in a non-emergency situations such a use would be a sacrilege.

Charging for anything on church property is not allowed in the state of Washington because of efforts in that state to remove the tax except status of the church.  Thus no bake sales for young women - no car wash fundraisers and such - and no charge for facilities use.  So part of the use is in accordance to local law.

Final thought - our chapels are properties dedicated to G-d.  All use should be with the understanding that we should understand that we are on holy ground and maintain sacred respect.  I think such guidelines should take presidence over uses where "clean-up" afterwards is required.  In other words - just because someone is wiling to do a great job of cleaning up there mess - does not mean that their activity is in line with the sacred nature of our facilities.  It is possible that one family reunion would be acceptable where as the behavior of another family would not be acceptable.

Edited by Traveler

Isn't it church policy that all wards are responsible to clean their own buildings on Saturdays? I think that might be part of what makes people in my ward conscientious about leaving the building better than we found it. I notice that after activities, people don't just pick up and/or wash dishes, but they sweep, vacuum, mop the floors and wipe everything down. Building abuse just hasn't been an issue. Even after my recitals, the LDS students' families start cleaning up just out of habit. 

Use of church facilities is sometime inspiring.  On many occasions I have attended a luncheon for grieving family following the grave side services of a passing member - and they were not encouraged in any way to "clean up" after themselves.  And yet I have watched as even elderly and feeble grieving saints roll up their sleeves and assisted in the clean up.

I have also observed young strong saints make a mess at their activities at church facilities and leave the "clean up" to others.  I have decided that I will be someone to take every opportunity to serve - even if it is inconvenient.

Edited by Traveler

Now that sounds fun!  No idea what it is, but it certainly sounds like something fun!

It is an awesome activity.

I've attended Easter Cantatas and Christmas Cantatas in our ward.

Basically, the ward choir or the youth, or the RS organize such an event.  The Easter Cantata is usually set on Friday or Saturday night before Easter, the Christmas one, the Friday or Saturday before Christmas.  It's basically a story-telling through song.  We've had the Easter Story as told by the women of Jerusalem once.  We've also had the Christmas story as told by the Shepherds.  And we've had a Christmas Story as told by the Christmas Ornaments (although this was not in the chapel as it was more of a fun story about a Hula Girl who is a Christmas Ornament getting "bullied" by the "traditional" ornaments that represent parts of the Birth of Jesus - like the Angel and the Star).

There are guidelines over what type of activities are allowed in this vein.  Family reunions are acceptable.  Anything Scout related is ok.  

Our homeschool group wanted to even RENT the building and we were denied.  For a while the bishop withstood it, but he had sent for an approval from Salt Lake.  We received a letter back essentially saying very diplomatically "No".  This was for both consistent (regular use on a weekly basis) as well as periodic use (annual dance or awards ceremony).

I guess I don't understand the angst against using a church building. What good does it serve if it can't be utilized? Of course, if it's being used and then left dirty by the users, that's a user failure, not a building failure.

It also comes down to the Church Insurance that's in place during a church activity. If it's not a church approved activity then no insurance at place. No one would know that unless they been injured at church or during a activity. I have been thru someone getting hurt and phone calls from the Church Attorney or s for plural.