More LDS Trivia

JojoBag

Questions:

1. What is another name for America, authorized by the Book of Mormon?

2. Is a “seer” and a “prophet” the same thing?

3. Who is Zelph?

4. Where did Adam first offer sacrifice after he was cast out of the Garden of Eden?

5. In the D&C Section 61, it states that “no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.” What was one part of the fulfillment of this prophecy?

6. What is the name of God in the Adamic language?

7. What are the names of Noah's three sons and what geographical areas did they settle in after the flood?

8. What is the meaning of the name, “Israel?”

9. Which of the Twelve Tribes of Israel was Moses from?

10. How many elders make up a quorum?

11. What are the three elements of baptism?

12. What is the first principle of the gospel?

13. What are the three grand orders of the priesthood?

14. What are the three independent principles taught by Joseph Smith?

15. Satan can appear as an angel of light. Can he also appear in the sign of the dove?

16. Must a person hold the Melchizedek Priesthood in order to cast out evil spirits?

17. What is the meaning of Salvation?

18. What is the greatest and most important duty of the Church?

19. What is the grand key that unlocks the glories and mysteries of the kingdom of heaven?

Answers:

1. Land of Joseph

Orson F. Whitney, Saturday Night Thoughts, Pg. 34

2. No. Mosiah 8:15-17

3. A white Lamanite

In 1834, while the "Zion's Camp" expedition" was on its way to Missouri, some of the party exhumed from an ancient mound the skeleton of a man having a stone-pointed arrow between two of his ribs. The Prophet, in a vision of the past, discovered the identity of this skeleton, and informed his brethren that the man's name was Zelph, that he was "a white Lamanite," and had been killed in battle by the arrow found between his ribs." Orson F. Whitney, Saturday Night Thoughts, Pgs. 45-46

4. Spring Hill, MO)

In 1838, after the main body of the Church had moved to Missouri, the Saints built several towns and projected others in Caldwell and other counties of that State. One of those towns was at Spring Hill, Davis County, where the men who made the survey for a new settlement came upon the ruins of an ancient altar, situated on a wooded hill overlooking- the surrounding country. Straightway they reported to the Prophet their interesting find. He, upon beholding it, said to those who were with him : "There is the place where Adam offered up sacrifice after he was cast out of the Garden." Orson F. Whitney, Saturday Night Thoughts, Pg. 46,

5. Submarine warfare

According to Elder Orson F. Whitney, submarine warfare during WWI was one part of the fulfilment of this prophecy. Saturday Night Thoughts, Pgs. 63-65

6. Ahman

JD2:342 Orson Pratt, Saturday Night Thoughts, Pg. 114

7. Japheth peopled Europe. Shem Asia, and Ham Africa.

8. Prince of God (Saturday Night Thoughts, Pg. 124)

9. Levi

10. 96

11. Spirit, water, blood.

The Lord explained this principle to Adam thus: "Inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water and blood and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the Kingdom of Heaven, of water and of the spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten ; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory:

"For by the Water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the Blood ye are sanctified." Orson F. Whitney, Saturday Night Thoughts, Pg. 255

12. To know for a certainty the character of God

It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God, and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another, and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did; and I will show it from the Bible. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith

1. Melchizedek Priesthood

2. Patriarchal Authority

3. Levitical Priesthood

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith and HC 6:249-254

14.The Spirit of God, the spirit of man, and the spirit of the devil. Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith

15. No. HC 5:260-61

16. No.

Joseph Smith taught that the only qualification for casting out evil spirits is that a person be baptized into the Church and given the Gift of the Holy Ghost. HC 4:603

17. It means a man's being placed beyond the power of all his enemies. HC 5:392

18. To preach the gospel. HC 2:478

19. Knowledge given through Jesus Christ. (HC 5:388-89.)

Re-read your answers after I did mine, I did TERRIBLE!  Maybe for others they were fine, but I was shocked at how bad I did.

1. What is another name for America, authorized by the Book of Mormon?  Land of promise

2. Is a “seer” and a “prophet” the same thing?  Not necessarily.  A prophet is automatically a Seer, but a seer is not automatically a prophet (or the other way around)

3. Who is Zelph?  Righteous Lamanite Warrior who Joseph Smith pointed out where his burial place was.

4. Where did Adam first offer sacrifice after he was cast out of the Garden of Eden?  On an altar...somewhere...

5. In the D&C Section 61, it states that “no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.” What was one part of the fulfillment of this prophecy?  No clue

6. What is the name of God in the Adamic language?  I don't speak/write in Adamic... so I'm guessing you mean translated into English... Elohim?

7. What are the names of Noah's three sons and what geographical areas did they settle in after the flood? Shem, Hamm yea that's all I have.

8. What is the meaning of the name, “Israel?” Son of God?

9. Which of the Twelve Tribes of Israel was Moses from?  Aaron...maybe..

10. How many elders make up a quorum? 12

11. What are the three elements of baptism?  Immersion, Holy Ghost...

12. What is the first principle of the gospel? Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

13. What are the three grand orders of the priesthood? No clue.

14. What are the three independent principles taught by Joseph Smith?  No clue.

15. Satan can appear as an angel of light. Can he also appear in the sign of the dove?  No, God promised he could never do that.

16. Must a person hold the Melchizedek Priesthood in order to cast out evil spirits?  Technically ANYONE could cast it out by the Power of God... but specifically using the Priesthood to do so, I believe it does require the Higher Priesthood.

17. What is the meaning of Salvation?  To be saved.

18. What is the greatest and most important duty of the Church? To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

19. What is the grand key that unlocks the glories and mysteries of the kingdom of heaven? Urim and Thummim?

Edited by erog84

Can you offer the full quotation for your #8?  The standard answer is that the Hebrew "Israel" means "he who prevails with God" or "God will prevail".

Also, on your #12:  Your answer may have been accurate in 1831 when the LoF were published, but by 1842 Joseph seems to have received additional light and knowledge that changed his answer to simply "faith in the Lord Jesus Christ", which he wrote into the portion of the Wentworth Letter which became part of our Articles of Faith.

17. What is the meaning of Salvation?  To be saved.

Actually the root meaning of salvation comes from the same root meaning as the word to salvage. When we salvage we separate that which has worth and value from that which is ruined and worthless. I like the idea that salvation is the process by which G-d preserves all that is meaningful and of value --- to him. If we have come to value other things – they will not be preserved and will have an end. Edited by Traveler

Can you offer the full quotation for your #8?  The standard answer is that the Hebrew "Israel" means "he who prevails with God" or "God will prevail".

Also, on your #12:  Your answer may have been accurate in 1831 when the LoF were published, but by 1842 Joseph seems to have received additional light and knowledge that changed his answer to simply "faith in the Lord Jesus Christ", which he wrote into the portion of the Wentworth Letter which became part of our Articles of Faith.

For Israel, the alternate meaning of "Prince of God" is still held by some as the correct meaning.  But it is generally considered the less common meaning.

For #12, I believe I need to nit-pick.  Joseph said the first principal of the "gospel" is to know for a certainty the character and attributes of God (1844).  In the LoF he said, the first principle of "revealed religion" is faith.  And to attain "faith unto salvation,one needs a correct idea of God’s character, perfections, and attributes..."

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1989/01/the-restoration-of-major-doctrines-through-joseph-smith-the-godhead-mankind-and-the-creation?lang=eng

Edited by Guest

"Prince of God."—The name 'Israel" means "Prince of God," and is first used in the Scriptures as the surname of Jacob, from whom sprang the Hebrew nation or the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Jacob, returning from Padan-Aram, whither he had fled from the jealous wrath of his brother Esau, came to the ford Jabbok, where "there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of day." We are left to infer that Jacob believed this "man" to be God ; for he "called the name of the place Peniel," saying, "I have seen God face to face."

"Let me go," demanded the heavenly visitant. "I will not let thee go," replied Jacob, "except thou bless me." The "Man" then blessed him and changed his name from Jacob to Israel; "for," said he, "as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. "

Orson Pratt

Saturday Night Thoughts, Pg. 124

Thanks for the correction on #12.