By Virtue of the Priesthood

Anddenex

Have either of you ever heard of "by virtue of" before?  My father just mentioned about reading/hearing (not sure which) that the beginning of the blessing specified "by virtue of."

I have never heard this and searched online, lds.org, and couldn't find anything.  Blessings, as in regards to your comment JoJoBag, I have understood the same principle as found in the Handbook.

I am wondering if a PB is different as Vort's begins with, "according to the Priesthood of a Patriarch"

Mine specifies, "In the authority I hold as a Patriarch."  I assume then the wording in the beginning of a PB is dependent upon the giver as you mention Vort.  Nothing in Handbook 2 that I can find.

Andie,

Yes,  many times that is the wording that is used.  And it is considered just as valid as "by the authority of".  Only saving ordinances require specific wording.  Any other blessing is flexible.  The manuals and so forth have guidelines.  But minor variations are acceptable.

Palerider,

I'm going to give deference to your additional experience over mine.  But bishops have not been allowed to perform religious marriages for as long as I can remember.  They can only perform civil marriages by current Church policy.  Thus they say something like, "By virtue of the legal authority..."  At least, that is what they are supposed to say.

Andie,

Yes, many times that is the wording that is used. And it is considered just as valid as "by the authority of". Only saving ordinances require specific wording. Any other blessing is flexible. The manuals and so forth have guidelines. But minor variations are acceptable.

Palerider,

I'm going to give deference to your additional experience over mine. But bishops have not been allowed to perform religious marriages for as long as I can remember. They can only perform civil marriages by current Church policy. Thus they say something like, "By virtue of the legal authority..." At least, that is what they are supposed to say.

The marriages I was speaking of are the LDS civil marriages .... Edited by Palerider

Have any of you ever come across a Patriarchal Blessing that begins with "By the virtue of the priesthood" rather than "By the authority of the priesthood"?

I have. 

My very own, in fact.

Here are the exact words: "By virtue of the holy Melchizedek priesthood and as a patriarch in Zion"...

It seems to me that the words "virtue" and "authority" (in the context of a blessing) are pretty much synonymous. D&C 121:41 reads: "No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned"

If you substitute the word "authority" for "virtue" in this scripture, I can't see how it would change the meaning at all?

I realize the instructions today are to always use the word "authority", and I'm certainly not advocating anything else; but I don't believe it would invalidate a blessing if the word "virtue" was used instead.

If I am not mistaken when performing a marriage the Bishop says ....by virtue of the Priesthood

Wish I had Volume I, but the bishop who married my sister-in-law and her husband said by <something> as an Elder in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have heard that he does not say "bishop", etc., to avoid any possible misunderstanding about whether this is a "Church" marriage confused with a "Temple" marriage.

Lehi

I have. 

My very own, in fact.

Here are the exact words: "By virtue of the holy Melchizedek priesthood and as a patriarch in Zion"...

Eldred G. Smith,. Patriarch to the Church gave me my blessing in 1967. His words were: "By virtue and authority of the office of Patriarch".

Looks to me as if the words are not critical, as long as the authority is clearly stated.

Lehi