X-box Question.

Fiannan

Okay, before I do this I want advice. For this summer break I have several teens who have been playing X-Box until like 2 or 3 in the morning, then they sleep in and then seem to have a bad attitude during the day. The younger kids are also getting consumed by the games. Now I especially want the little ones off but I know that if I take the X-Box and pack it away for a couple of weeks until school starts and people budget their time better then teens are going to scream this is unfair and they should be the ones to decide what they do with games and the like. Of course I have asked them to head to bed by midnight but that doesn't happen.

What would you do then?

Okay, before I do this I want advice. For this summer break I have several teens who have been playing X-Box until like 2 or 3 in the morning, then they sleep in and then seem to have a bad attitude during the day. The younger kids are also getting consumed by the games. Now I especially want the little ones off but I know that if I take the X-Box and pack it away for a couple of weeks until school starts and people budget their time better then teens are going to scream this is unfair and they should be the ones to decide what they do with games and the like. Of course I have asked them to head to bed by midnight but that doesn't happen.

What would you do then?

They're eating patterns are probably summer-ized as well given the time frame and that would lead to a bad attitude too.

I would just rent the younger kids some classic Disney movies and tell them that they can't have the x-box. With more time to play, the teens will probably go to bed earlier.

Dude, I'm an xbox lover and I can empathize with the gamers you're dealing with. :lol:

Maybe just take the xbox away at midnight. If you're in bed already and don't want to get up to do that, make a rule that they have to get up by such-and-such a time in order to have the xbox for that day. Sort of a reverse curfew.

Good luck. ;)

Dude, I'm an xbox lover and I can empathize with the gamers you're dealing with. :lol:

Maybe just take the xbox away at midnight. If you're in bed already and don't want to get up to do that, make a rule that they have to get up by such-and-such a time in order to have the xbox for that day. Sort of a reverse curfew.

Good luck. ;)

When our kids get older(our oldest is 3) we're going to have a set waking up time, but no bedtime, so they can stay up late, play games all night if they want, but they have to pay for it the next day.

-Gabelpa

<div class='quotemain'>

Good luck. ;)

When our kids get older(our oldest is 3) we're going to have a set waking up time, but no bedtime, so they can stay up late, play games all night if they want, but they have to pay for it the next day.

-Gabelpa

And of course being kids, they will totally understand the logic of going to bed earlier. :P You "allow" a kid to stay up all night they will. Especially when they are teenagers. I still have a tv curfew for my teenagers. If not...they also are "bears" during the day.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Good luck. ;)

-Gabelpa

And of course being kids, they will totally understand the logic of going to bed earlier. :P You "allow" a kid to stay up all night they will. Especially when they are teenagers. I still have a tv curfew for my teenagers. If not...they also are "bears" during the day.

actually it has worked very well with friends of ours, and what my husband failed to mention is its what we do with our daughter already at 3 she knows when she is tired and will go to bed at a reasonable time.

Charley

I assume you mean this for school holidays, not during term time. If this is the case, can I ask why? One of the best things about being a kid/teenager in the holidays is the freedom to go to bed when you want and get up when you want. I used to love staying up late chatting with my sister till the early hours knowing everyone else was asleep-theres something magical and fun about it. We were never penalised for that by having to get up at a certain time. Im just wondering your logic behind it?

What would you do then?

I dont know what I'd do, but when me and my brother and sister were younger (11, 9 and 7) most of our arguments revolved around the nintendo we had. (I have to add my Mum probably played it more than we did and was involved in the arguing over who went next!!) Some things never change!! We outgrew it eventually but I think we had a limited amount of time in the end, like 2 hours a day. My husband has an x-box but doesnt go on it that often as he says he doesnt want to become a computer nerd lol

I assume you mean this for school holidays, not during term time. If this is the case, can I ask why? One of the best things about being a kid/teenager in the holidays is the freedom to go to bed when you want and get up when you want. I used to love staying up late chatting with my sister till the early hours knowing everyone else was asleep-theres something magical and fun about it. We were never penalised for that by having to get up at a certain time. Im just wondering your logic behind it?

+we are homeschoolers, mean parents our kids don't get holidays. If someone has arranged a reason to be out late then of course there is flexibility, but I do believe early to rise is good for a person, Its one thing I admire in my Dad he doesn't waste anyday, he is up at 5.30am and he gets so much done so by breakfast when he was on holiday he had the whole day to himself,he has so much energy. I want it to be ingrained in my kids that each day is a gift and to make the most of it.

-Charley

Parents should have the same rules as their children otherwise Parents are just dishing out an 18 sentence. The example the parent is setting otherwise is when you are grown, you can do as you please, so the rules mean nothing.

Rules should be the practice of instilling values and if the Parent does not need any values it is a worthless way of life.

What has a child done wrong that they don't deserve a day off for good behavior and hard work?

The Lord has commanded us to keep the holidays as days of remembrance and respect.

Walk in your child's shoes.