Awe from Space

CV75

"Scientists have analyzed the statements that astronauts have made when they see Earth from above, and landed on a common, powerful theme: a sense of awe and transcendence."

http://www.sciencenewsline.com/news/2016041915010037.html

I wonder if this is what Abraham and Moses felt!

http://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1123&index=15

“Here is an interesting description from the Apocalypse of Abraham. Abraham is taken on a wonderful journey (just as much science fiction begins with the wonderful journey). The whole field of testamentary literature and testaments has seen many discoveries recently, and we learn that any prophet you can name, and any apostle, has a testament; and that testament always ends with a great trip, a guided tour through the universe. The prophet or apostle usually gets in a vessel of some sort, in which he travels around, inspecting things). Guided by an angel, Abraham passes with violent winds to heaven above the firmament. He sees an indescribably mighty light, and within the light there is a vast, seething fire; and within the fire is a great host of moving, changing forms—moving within each other—of mighty forms that exchange with each other and constantly change their forms, as they go and come and alter themselves. They seem to call out to each other, in strange, confused noises.” -- Apocalypse of Abraham 15:3-7, in OTP 1:696.

Or Joseph Smith:

“I looked upon the sun the glorious luminary of the earth and also the moon rolling in their magesty through the heavens and also the stars shining in their courses and the earth also upon which I stood and the beast of the field and the fowls of heaven and the fish of the waters and also man walking forth upon the face of the earth in magesty and in the strength of beauty whose power and intiligence in governing the things . . . are so exceding great and marvilous even in the likeness of him who created <them>.” -- Personal Writings of Joseph Smith, 5

I love this. We should build a space elevator so everyone could have this experience (might take a while, 7 billion people...)

It's all about perspective, isn't it. They say the first images of earth from the moon are what really kicked the environmental movement into gear. Here's a beautiful recent NASA photo.

Earth_globe_west_540_NASA.jpg

48 minutes ago, tesuji said:

They say the first images of earth from the moon are what really kicked the environmental movement into gear.

Earth_globe_west_540_NASA.jpg

We might notice that, even at this relatively large scale, there is no evidence of mankind's being here.

Those 7,000,000,000 people could all fit in Texas, each family of 5 living on ¾ acre with room to spare for city buildings. Give us Iowa and California, and all mankind could live comfortably in just a minuscule fraction of the earth's surface. (I am not saying it would be a good idea, just refuting the notion that the earth has too many people.)

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

36 minutes ago, tesuji said:

I love this. We should build a space elevator so everyone could have this experience (might take a while, 7 billion people...)

It's all about perspective, isn't it. They say the first images of earth from the moon are what really kicked the environmental movement into gear. Here's a beautiful recent NASA photo.

I grew up in NYC so never really saw a real night sky until I was a bit older. Although I remember asking as a very young child whether angels were in the moon, since I had the same sensation from even that (didn't grow up LDS). So as a new member of the Church, this is what I initially thought Joseph Smith was referring to when he said, "Could you gaze into heaven five minutes, you would know more than you would by reading all that ever was written on the subject" (TPJS, p. 324; cf. HC 6:50).

As far as these sensations go, I am also reminded of Abraham Facsimile 2, where the planets and stars borrow light, or serve as a transmitting medium of power one to another. At the very least, I take these feelings to be a manifestation of the Light of Christ.

12 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

We might notice that, even at this relatively large scale, there is no evidence of mankind's being here.

Yet even one of the astronauts sensed (as reported in another news source): “I had another feeling, that the Earth is like a vibrant, living thing,” Chinese astronaut said Yang Liu said, in one of the statements the authors included in the study. “I said to myself: this is the place we live, it’s really magical.” http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/04/21/scientists-explain-astronauts-feeling-awe.html

13 minutes ago, CV75 said:

Yet even one of the astronauts sensed (as reported in another news source): “I had another feeling, that the Earth is like a vibrant, living thing,” Chinese astronaut said Yang Liu said, in one of the statements the authors included in the study. “I said to myself: this is the place we live, it’s really magical.” http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/04/21/scientists-explain-astronauts-feeling-awe.html

I find it funny that we need scientists to tell us, "Chinese astronauts were awed by looking at the earth from space because the sight was awesome."

12 minutes ago, tesuji said:

I used to live in Ivins, Utah near St. George. They have a city ordinance that you can't have the kind of lights that pollute the night sky. It was awesome.

Now that would be feat - how long has that been in place? How much abatement had to be done?

It's a small but growing community. So they had the luxury of starting a while ago before all the growth happened. It would be harder in any established city. Unfortunately, you do get light leakage from "clueless" St. George nearby, which will only get worse as they keep building more there too.

They don't have many public street lights, for starters, and I'm sure people in larger cities would worry that would encourage crime.

For most other lights, outside house lights for example, it's just a matter of covering the top half you you don't get light shining up into the sky. It's not that hard, it just takes awareness and willingness. Most people don't think about light pollution, but it makes a big difference for people who enjoy the stars.

Edited by tesuji

2 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Reminds me of the lyrics to the song, "From a Distance".  I'm reminded, too, that at this relatively large scale there is plenty of evidence of mankind's being here--just have to pass on to the dark side.

2 hours ago, tesuji said:

I used to live in Ivins, Utah near St. George. They have a city ordinance that you can't have the kind of lights that pollute the night sky. It was awesome.

I treasure any efforts even though it's like trying to hold back the tide.  From the darkest sites in the United States one's view of the heavens is always obscured by the light pollution from cities hundreds of miles away. Too me it's a pity in terms of what I saw as a child but my grandchildren can't. 

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/NPP/news/earth-at-night.html#.VxkVhGNsNlk

Edited by UT.starscoper

Wish I had some of my old astrophotos handy.  From mom's place, I can barely see Polaris over the lights of town 5 miles away well enough to get an equatorial mount lined up, but to the south, the Milky Way is clear.  With the right atmospheric conditions, I've seen magnitude 6 stars near the zenith unaided, but the slightest haze spreads the light pollution enough to wipe those out.

Unfortunately, citywide power outages don't tend to happen in good observing weather.  IMO, the real source of EMP attack danger is some astronomer going off the deep end and deciding to get one last good night of observing.

Edited by NightSG