Why do people leave the Church?

Eve1991

15 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

On a different note, it would be very interesting to see how many of "us" (myself) included would/could have been susceptible to some form of racism had we lived in different times, places and circumstances. It can be easy for "us" (myself included) in "modern times" to pass judgement on those living in previous eras, and say "how could they do X" or "how could they say Y". 

13 hours ago, Blueskye2 said:

I agree. But my point was, when I was LDS decades ago, we weren't following the teachings of some prophet from 100 years prior. We were following the teachings in our time. I understand that to some, pre-1978 seems like 100 years ago. ? But I'm not THAT old. 

Interesting juxtaposition of thoughts.  I was raised around the same time.  I remember the racism of the day.  And I remember that it didn't make sense to me.  It wasn't that I was "offended".  I just thought it was illogical and I just didn't get it.  I'd often find myself wondering about ethnic jokes "Why do they think that's funny?"  I guess I was just one of those kids who questioned everything.  

That was one reason I had a personal testimony as a child.  Even before I was adopted I questioned everything.  It was even more so when I came to America.  As I asked many adults many questions I slowly got the impression that they didn't really know what they were talking about regarding pretty much everything.  Pretty arrogant as a kid.  This was true at school, at home, and at church.  That was one reason that even as a kid I thought about leaving the Church.  But I was quickly able to gain a testimony on my own.

I really don't know why I was able to do that and others weren't.  
I don't know why I asked the right questions and others did not.  
I don't know why I received answers and others did not.  
I don't know why I weathered the many trials of faith I've had in my life and others did not.
I don't know why I felt the confirmation of the Spirit on many matters and others did not.

It may be a common knee-jerk reaction to say that some were not sincere or humble or they didn't seek out the Lord or... or...or...  But having known many people very up close and personal, I come to the conclusion that I DON'T KNOW why people leave the Church.  And the truth is that I DON'T KNOW if they, themselves, are being honest about it.

5 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

I'm glad that life has turned out the way that it has for you @Carborendum... you have managed to forge yourself into a spiritual juggernaut, so hats off to you!

So, why do I feel the products of incomplete combustion being forcibly applied to my lower cavities?

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Interesting juxtaposition of thoughts.  I was raised around the same time.  I remember the racism of the day.  And I remember that it didn't make sense to me.  It wasn't that I was "offended".  I just thought it was illogical and I just didn't get it.  I'd often find myself wondering about ethnic jokes "Why do they think that's funny?"  I guess I was just one of those kids who questioned everything.  

That was one reason I had a personal testimony as a child.  Even before I was adopted I questioned everything.  It was even more so when I came to America.  As I asked many adults many questions I slowly got the impression that they didn't really know what they were talking about regarding pretty much everything.  Pretty arrogant as a kid.  This was true at school, at home, and at church.  That was one reason that even as a kid I thought about leaving the Church.  But I was quickly able to gain a testimony on my own.

I really don't know why I was able to do that and others weren't.  
I don't know why I asked the right questions and others did not.  
I don't know why I received answers and others did not.  
I don't know why I weathered the many trials of faith I've had in my life and others did not.
I don't know why I felt the confirmation of the Spirit on many matters and others did not.

It may be a common knee-jerk reaction to say that some were not sincere or humble or they didn't seek out the Lord or... or...or...  But having known many people very up close and personal, I come to the conclusion that I DON'T KNOW why people leave the Church.  And the truth is that I DON'T KNOW if they, themselves, are being honest about it.

Thumbs up!

Fifteen years or so ago, I looked up LDS info on the internet, for the first time. Revisiting, wondering if it was something I'd want to return to. Nope. There's just too much I don't believe in regards to Mormon teaching, which, isn't a dig or anything. I don't believe a lot of things that other people believe, and vice versa.

3 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

You ate at Taco Bell last night??

A side note - my cycling mag rates Taco Bell as the best value and most nutritious of all franchise fast food restaurants in the USA.  It is one of the few places I can stomach stopping at for a quick bite on a century ride.   Another hint  - soda on a century makes me literally puke and will cause cramping big time.  Fresh fruit is better for me - especially in heat - than Gatorade drinks. 

Some years ago J. Golden Kimball was approached by a minister of another church that bragged about stealing a sheep from a Mormon congregation.  J. Golden responded with something like, "Congratulations - drop by my office later and I will give you a rather large list of more we would be glad if you would also take."

I regret that anyone decides to skip going to church.  I am sure that the problem begins with the faulty logic that the Sabbath is sacred and holy and a Sabbath covenant is therefore not important - unless they decide there is a better covenant.

The Traveler