deleted

cjtwer

If your friend came home early, there's a reason for it: a wound of some kind (physical, emotional, sin, etc).  There is no set time table for how long wounds take to heal, especially serious ones that which require some type of post-surgery "physical therapy".  That metaphorical "physical therapy" could be exercising physical muscles, emotional muscles, or testimonial muscles, obedience muscles, etc.   This all takes time and a lot of work from the patient (your friend) and the Doctor (Christ).

What you can do in the mean time: be your friend's friend.  Be there when he needs you, whether that's to play basketball or to talk about what he's going through.  If he wants/needs your help specifically on this issue, it'll ask for it when he's ready.  

On 9/17/2016 at 3:00 PM, cjtwer said:

My friend just returned from his mission after just a week at the MTC. I'm not exactly sure why except it's not for a physical health issue. He said they told him he will have to wait 6-12 months before he can go back. In my previous experience with early return missionaries who come home for reasons other than physical health issues is that they are given a specific amount of time they have to wait before going back. Am I mistaken? I guess I'm just wondering how the process will work so I can support my friend the best I can but I don't want to ask him too many questions about it. 

Depends on the sin, he made it through a bunch of very probing interviews just to get to the MTC. Just be his friend and support him in this difficult time for him and his family. I hope he goes back out.