"Save Rape": Parody Mistaken for Reality

Jamie123

Be warned before you watch this video - she uses some strong language....

Now this is quite obviously a parody of the "loony fringe" of the feminist movement. But I've been astonished by how many people have assumed this woman is for real. Here are some of the milder comments I've seen:

• "Dumb b*****s like you are the reason people laugh at feminist. Please stop it."
  • "What did you want him to do, LEAVE YOU IN THE B****Y OCEAN?"
  • "The man was wrong for saving you I wish he has let you drown"

I wonder though; have any real feminists - even the most extreme ones - ever got so bad that this kind of satire is indistinguishable from reality? Or has the way they have been portrayed by their opponents (conservatives, mens' rights activists etc.) caused people to believe almost anything of them?

Edited by Jamie123

Far too many feminists are, indeed, that divorced from reality. 

One recent example is the Hugh Mungus incident, in which a feminist special snowflake took what was obviously a fake name someone gave her as sexual harassment: 

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hugh-mungus

Or there's Trigglypuff, whose demands to be treated like an adult were delivered in the form of a temper tantrum:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trigglypuff

If you can stand cussing going along with the discussing then I can recommend some YouTube channels to check out. The best one is Sargon of Akkad, who has a 10-video series dealing with feminism in addition to all of his other words; 95% of video #9 is simply stock footage of feminists screaming their lungs out, while video #10 is him recounting the blowback he received after he asked feminists if they'd be willing to support prostate cancer research. It'll take you a solid afternoon if you mean to watch it all in one sitting. 

As far as my personal experiences with these kinds of feminists go? 

http://community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/43851/30310067/Kids_Exposed_To_Religion_Have_Difficulty_Distinguishing_Fact_From_Fiction?post_id=540915153#540915153

That's Kristi Winters and one of her sycophants telling me that, as a "non-scientist", I don't have any right to question anything published in a scientific journal... despite the fact that while pursuing my MBA I did a side jaunt into marketing research, meaning that I know full well how to read an academic paper of that level *and* know full well how to design & conduct studies of my own. The study she hung her hat on to "prove" us religious types were mental cases was so badly flawed that even some of her own allies were disavowing it, yet she responded by insulting me there and going over to Get Religion.org to cuss out anyone who raised a criticism of the paper there. 

She used to post absolutely asinine and mind-numbing insane / sexist / bigoted / et cetra comments on Beliefnet all the time back when the forums were functional, much of which I can't post here. 

Those actual science types I showed the above thread to denounced her, which should tell you something about how well she truly embodies anything scientific; she goes on and on about her credentials, yet only honors them when it suits her. 

But despite it all, Winters has still become one of the bigger names among the world of internet feminism. The only difference between her and Ed Decker is that, so far as I know, nobody's been murdered because of her words. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

She        talks     to - o - o     slow - ly.     Does     she      think     her    viewers     are    stu - pid ?   

Seriously, I couldn't watch it because she's too annoying.  I saw enough of it though to be disgusted.  Yes, I agree there are extreme feminists that take this issue too far, but this woman is just as wrong and despicable as the feminists she's mocking.  The way she talked so annoyingly slowly seemed to mock rape survivors as well.  Victims/Survivors speak slowly when they speak of their abuse because it's hard to talk about.  

This woman/video is absolutely disgusting. 

Grrrrr.

3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

She        talks     to - o - o     slow - ly.     Does     she      think     her    viewers     are    stu - pid ?  

I didn't follow any links, so this may be irrelevant.  Under the gear/settings icon on YouTube videos, there's a Speed option.  You can speed people up as much as 2x.

(Some years back, I learned from my brother that he records tv shows, news programs, etc. so that he could watch / listen to them sped up, to save time.  2x seems to be his norm.  I thought he was nuts back then, that one couldn't possibly follow that fast or would miss important points.  Now, a few years later, The only way I listen to a YouTube video at less than 1.5x is if the person in it is talking considerably faster than normal already, or if they have a difficult accent - in which case, I usually start at normal, pick it up to 1.25x when I've adjusted to the accent, and then up to 1.5 when that's comfortable.  I only use 2x when the people in the video are slow, or when audio isn't needed - apparently my brain is slower than my brother's...)

Some things are only tolerable at high speed...

Edited by zil

On 04/10/2016 at 11:42 AM, LiterateParakeet said:

Seriously, I couldn't watch it because she's too annoying.  I saw enough of it though to be disgusted.  Yes, I agree there are extreme feminists that take this issue too far, but this woman is just as wrong and despicable as the feminists she's mocking.  The way she talked so annoyingly slowly seemed to mock rape survivors as well.  Victims/Survivors speak slowly when they speak of their abuse because it's hard to talk about.  

Grrrrr.

You're quite right of course: the excuse these people always give is that they are "raising awareness" of whatever-it-is they are supporting.

I saw a story a little while back about a black woman student who created a fake Facebook account, claiming to belong to a white supremacist and threatening to "kill all black students on campus".

She claimed at her trial that she did it to "raise awareness" of the racism supposedly endemic at her school.

The judge gave her 90 days in jail.

Edited by Jamie123

Guest MormonGator
On October 4, 2016 at 6:42 AM, LiterateParakeet said:

Grrrrr.

Yup, totally agree. I have a sick sense of humor and I laugh at things that good and decent people would be appalled at, but mocking rape survivors? Goodness, even I find that to be in bad taste. Call me a "special snowflake" if you must.