Mary (mother Of Jesus)

Annabelli

Well, obviously there are many Christians who esteem her as a Saint worthy of our supplication. Although LDS teaching does NOT allow for praying to anyone but God, we do recognize her status as wonderful and singular. She indeed had favor with God and was blessed among women to be the mother of our LORD after the manner of the flesh. Nephi called her 'most beautiful and fair above all other virgins'. (1 Nephi 11:15)

How marvelous and amazing it is to consider the raising of our LORD from His infancy. What a tremendous testimony she must have and what powerful witness must be in her heart. However, we know this was not her calling, but to be a chosen vessel in preparing for our LORD a tabernacle of flesh and every needful thing as a mother is to provide. Indeed, Jesus had in her the same love as a mother only can give, and their relationship was that of mother and child, but also daughter and Saviour. For as she gave Him temporal life, He gives her Eternal Life.

Yes it is a great and wonderful work she did and I can only imagine she was nothing less than one of those great and chosen ones whose calling was selected in the Grand Council before the world was. She portrays the image of a woman who in great diversity and under strain of tremendous risk, found safety and security in the counsel of the LORD.

-a-train

Heavenly Father REALLY likes her.

I wish that people wouldn't pray directly to her. Although those who are not of our religion are not under the same condemnation as us when they do something like that.

We are asked to pray to the Father. I used to wonder if we were allowed to pray to Jesus, but then I realized that I was, every time i prayed to HF. They are one God....With Mary, it's along the same lines, but different.

Well, obviously there are many Christians who esteem her as a Saint worthy of our supplication. Although LDS teaching does NOT allow for praying to anyone but God, we do recognize her status as wonderful and singular. She indeed had favor with God and was blessed among women to be the mother of our LORD after the manner of the flesh. Nephi called her 'most beautiful and fair above all other virgins'. (1 Nephi 11:15)

How marvelous and amazing it is to consider the raising of our LORD from His infancy. What a tremendous testimony she must have and what powerful witness must be in her heart. However, we know this was not her calling, but to be a chosen vessel in preparing for our LORD a tabernacle of flesh and every needful thing as a mother is to provide. Indeed, Jesus had in her the same love as a mother only can give, and their relationship was that of mother and child, but also daughter and Saviour. For as she gave Him temporal life, He gives her Eternal Life.

Yes it is a great and wonderful work she did and I can only imagine she was nothing less than one of those great and chosen ones whose calling was selected in the Grand Council before the world was. She portrays the image of a woman who in great diversity and under strain of tremendous risk, found safety and security in the counsel of the LORD.

-a-train

Wow a-train...that was beautiful! Thanks for the post! What a great way to start my day... :)

Well technically speaking, Catholics don't pray to Mary, but actually ask her to pray for them. Now some Catholics don't understand this and do pray to Mary, but that's specifically against the Roman Catechism.

It's a common misunderstanding among Latter-day Saints that Catholics and other Apostolic Churches pray to the Saints. This is due more to incorrect Evangelical teaching than anything. We venerate the Saints, but we don't worship the Saints. Two very different things. One would implicate us in idolotry, the other is no different than having respect and love for a deceased leader, and asking that they pray for us in heaven.

(I recall someone saying that Joseph Smith does more for the Mormons since his death, than he could do alive?)

Well technically speaking, Catholics don't pray to Mary, but actually ask her to pray for them. Now some Catholics don't understand this and do pray to Mary, but that's specifically against the Roman Catechism.

It's a common misunderstanding among Latter-day Saints that Catholics and other Apostolic Churches pray to the Saints. This is due more to incorrect Evangelical teaching than anything. We venerate the Saints, but we don't worship the Saints. Two very different things. One would implicate us in idolotry, the other is no different than having respect and love for a deceased leader, and asking that they pray for us in heaven.

When the role of Saints for intercessory prayers was first explained to me I had a bit of dogma envy. When properly understood, it tends to be a rather beautiful doctrine IMO.

When the role of Saints for intercessory prayers was first explained to me I had a bit of dogma envy. When properly understood, it tends to be a rather beautiful doctrine IMO.

Add to that the understanding of the Eastern Orthodox Icon, as a window into heaven, and it grows even more IMO.

<div class='quotemain'>

Add to that the understanding of the Eastern Orthodox Icon, as a window into heaven, and it grows even more IMO.

Mind hooking a brother up with a link or book?

Outside of giving birth to Jesus, what role model does Mary have in religion? Or what is the significance of her presence in LDS Religion? (or any other religion?)

Hi Annabelli,

One of the things that strikes me about Mary as a role model was her example of devoted motherhood.

For example, she stayed with her son during his excruciating death on the cross.

It must have been horrendous for her to watch...but she stayed.

Tremendous devotion.

<div class='quotemain'>

Outside of giving birth to Jesus, what role model does Mary have in religion? Or what is the significance of her presence in LDS Religion? (or any other religion?)

Hi Annabelli,

One of the things that strikes me about Mary as a role model was her example of devoted motherhood.

For example, she stayed with her son during his excruciating death on the cross.

It must have been horrendous for her to watch...but she stayed.

Tremendous devotion.

I don't dismiss her devotion, but I think any mother would do the same. I could never leave my child alone through that.

Elphaba

I don't dismiss her devotion, but I think any mother would do the same. I could never leave my child alone through that.

Elphaba

I gotta agree Elph.

One Mormon myth that really bugggs me is when people say that the pain was too much for the Father to bear so he ran off and hid in some corner of the Universe.

I do not think either of them left, the Father simply took a few steps back at one point.

GAIA:

Hello -- This is a great question!

I'd like to just mention, if i may -- that there is a very different perspective -- although i should hasten to add that it is NOT in any way an "LDS Perspective".

But there are some (of many different faiths) who feel that Mary is an unfortunate example of the way that women are often silenced and shoved into the background, by patriarchal religion -- made into little more than accessories to/for men's lives.

For some, Mary is a mute and disempowered, frail and bloodless impersonator of the Great Goddess -- whom many see as the original Parent and Deity of the Human race.

What benefits and insights might we have, for example, if Mary's story had been deemed important enough to record and pass down, by the men who made those decisions? We can only wonder.

For more on this, please see (for example):

- "Beyond God the FAther" by Mary Daly

- "Religion and Sexism" by Rosemary Radford Ruether

- "The Great Mother" by Monica Sjoo and Barbara Mor

- "When God Was A Woman" by Melin Stone

- "The Politics of Women's Spirituality" by Charlene Spretnak, ed.

- "WomanSpirit Rising" by Carol Christ and Charlene Spretnak, ed.

Blessings --

~Gaia