Boy Scouts allowing transgender individuals

Guest MormonGator

I participate in scouting with my boys.  I was saddened by the announcement.  I was not bothered previously by allowing boys of other orientations into the organization, as all boys can benefit from having moral guidance in their youth and upbringing.

This policy, however, makes me wonder what the right course of action is.  I do not see it so much as to prevent lawsuits, as it is to try to keep sponsors on board.  BSA at National seems to be more towards getting money into the coffers these days than working with the smaller and local units that make up the bulk of their organization.  This policy has put some of the local leadership into a quandary already.

I had one leader of our unit already resign.  I do not know what else the future holds.  I am personally wondering what I will do and HOPE that the leadership says something in regards to this at the upcoming General Conference.  Right now, I am waiting until the end of the school year to decide whether I will remain in scouts with my sons, or also withdraw.  I want to hear what comes out in April at GC, and HOPE something is stated.

Even if we keep things in the local units, these changes in policy are going to affect any camp or activity which is not LDS only.  For example, I was thinking on the National Jamboree, at this point, I'm thinking it may not be something I want to invest in.  This would be a great opportunity for the LDS church to invest in making more LDS specific Boy Scout camps where we can be assured of the leadership and direction of the Summer Camp and other camps.

I think overall that the LDS church will stay with the BSA at least while President Monson is alive.  He is know to be huge into scouting, and with the way he is personally connected to it, I don't see the LDS church going anywhere while he is alive.  When he passes away, it may be the opportunity for the LDS church to create a constructive organization similar to Boy Scouts for the LDS young Men to attend (hopefully with a big emphasis on the outdoors, rank advancement, and other activities that the BSA currently do).

I'd still like it if the LDS church finds a way for a way to solidify how the LDS church organizes it's young men away from the way the world wishes the LDS church to organize it's young men.  I see the ideals of scouting, and the ideals of the LDS church going in separate directions overall at this time. 

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

When he passes away, it may be the opportunity for the LDS church to create a constructive organization similar to Boy Scouts for the LDS young Men to attend (hopefully with a big emphasis on the outdoors, rank advancement, and other activities that the BSA currently do).

I'd still like it if the LDS church finds a way for a way to solidify how the LDS church organizes it's young men away from the way the world wishes the LDS church to organize it's young men.  I see the ideals of scouting, and the ideals of the LDS church going in separate directions overall at this time. 

When the homosexual announcement came out (see what I did there) the Church said it was already working on a global program run by the Church since many outside the US don't really have an activity program for YM.  As I recall, there was some talk about joining with other faiths (particularly the Catholics) in this endeavor.

I don't see why we can't take the YW medallion and the Duty to God and add a few "manly activity" type stuff into it and call it good.