Scripture and Manual apps for tablets

JohnsonJones

I have traditionally always brought my scriptures to church in the appropriate scripture case.  I have seen many others using tablets.  They also seem to have the manuals on them.

I suppose I may be a tad older than some of them which is why I am asking here about this stuff.

I recently bought a new Samsung Tablet.  Where do I find these apps to put on it and how do I do this?  I'm looking at whatever app it is that they use for their LDS scriptures and the lesson manuals.

The more step by step you can give me, the better it is.  Just pretend that I'm some person who has no idea about the new technology stuff and can't figure it out on their own...actually...no need to pretend as I'm right there now that I have  this tablet.

If anyone knows these apps and stuff, and can help me figure out how to get it on my tablet, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Edited by JohnsonJones

If you know how to get online on your tablet, you can go to https://www.lds.org/pages/mobileapps/android?lang=eng there and follow the Gospel Library link, by the icon of the golden Angel Moroni on a black background. Click the install button and OK any confirmation pages that come up. You probably need a Google account for this method.

If that doesn't work, is there an Apps button in the top right corner of your home screen? If so, click on that. Then select Market. There should be a search bar with a magnifying glass icon; click in there and type Gospel Library. After you submit the search, one of your results should be the free Gospel Library app (with the Angel Moroni on a black background icon). Select that, then click Download.

Get your membership number, and use that to create an account on LDS.org.  If you already have an account on LDS.org, but don't remember the login info, use the reminder links on the login page or talk to your ward clerk, who can probably help you.  Once you have this user name and password, you can use it to sign into the Gospel Library app so that your highlights, notes, etc. are saved onto the church's servers (as a backup - the app works offline just fine).

A Samsung tablet is Android.  You'll have an icon for "Play Store".  Open that (you'll need to be on the internet).  Search for "Gospel Library" - you'll find an app of that name published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - install it.

If you need more detail, please ask.

Okay, I'm on Google Play and I have several options.  What do these do?

There is Gospel Library, LDS Tools, LDS Music, LDS Media Library, LDS Scriptures.  Is all I need the Gospel Library...what do the others do.  there also appears to be a FamilySearchTree, is this connected to Family Search?

Anyone know what LDS Doctrinal Mastery is?

Edited by JohnsonJones

So it looks like the LDS tools is what my clerk uses, though I think he probably has more access to the records and other things like that on the church computer and his sign in.

Have to determine whether Gospel Library also has the hymnals as that is what the Music app looks like it has.

I'm leaving what I had already typed in when you just posted and saying that Gospel Library has the hymn lyrics but not the recordings and musical notations.

FamilySearch Tree is basically Family Search in an app.

LDS Tools - log into your LDS account and use ward/stake directories, calendars, and find a meetinghouse.

LDS Music has the music from the hymnal, Children's Songbook, some new children's songs from the last few years, and youth theme songs from the last few years, including musical notations and recordings.

I think everything from LDS Media Library is included in Gospel Library, but I'm not sure because I can't find that app for my device. The scriptures are all included in the Gospel Library app so I can't imagine you needing that one separately.

Great! 

That helps.

I am now clicking on everything I think I might e interested in so I have it downloaded and can open it up when not connected.  I can now carry it around with me and read, even in locations around town and elsewhere which I don't have a wireless connection set up.  This is wonderful.

Thanks!  I appreciate the help!

Edited by JohnsonJones

14 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Thank you, I now have the Gospel Library app downloaded.  Do I have to be connected to the internet to use it, or can I access it no matter where I go?

Just for the first time you open a certain manual.  That first time the app will download that particular book from online.  After that it's just saved on your tablet and you don't need the internet.

1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

Just for the first time you open a certain manual.  That first time the app will download that particular book from online.  After that it's just saved on your tablet and you don't need the internet.

Thank you also.  I am currently downloading all the Teachings of the Prophets, Lesson manuals, and Church history stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

@JohnsonJones

It looks like the LDS Tools app will also give you warnings before your temple recommend expires, tell you what temple you are assigned to and what temples are closest to any given location, and give contact and session information for any given temple.

LDS Tools App Makes Temple Worship Even More Convenient with New Updates