Decaf Coffee

Smallfootsteps

2 hours ago, Smallfootsteps said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to save money instead? I live in a small place and we have no spare room to store food.  

Well how about a few cans of soup under the bed? Very handy if you get hit with flu. I am not suggesting anything major, just a few nonperishables. I think the idea comes from the origins of Mormon culture, people living in harsh environments. Sometimes people were scattered across homesteads. The Relief Societies' job was to make sure that isolated people did not starve to death so everyone was encouraged to keep some supplies on hand and to think about their neighbors. Part of my retirement plan is to adopt a few elderly people and make sure they get to doctor's appointments. But, I would not stress about every little Mormon custom. It is a huge transition coming into the church so I would ease up on myself. If you don't want to buy a few cans of soup in case of emergencies, then don't. Reading the scriptures daily and praying twice a day is far more important.