Opposite statements

askandanswer

Below are two statements that seem to be opposite in meaning to each other.

1.     1.   No one will survive mortality

2.       2. Everyone will survive mortality

Which one is true? Are they both true? Are they really opposite in meaning? I don’t think the answer will have any theological significance, but I found this to be an interesting thought to play around with earlier this morning

11 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

1 No one will survive mortality

2 Everyone will survive mortality

1) True

2) False

In their normal interpreted meaning they are opposite, however, a way to say number 2 that would be true is:  Mortality will be overcome for everyone.

If you play semantic reading games you can make both true at the same time, or alternate their truthfulness by applying different definitions.
Examples:

No one will survive mortality = everyone will die.
(definition basis: to remain alive)

Everyone will survive mortality = everyone will live beyond the time when mortality itself is 'dead'
(definition basis: to remain alive after the death of - - - i.e.  he is survived by his wife; with this definition then 1 would be false)

If you use the limited definition of survive = to remain in existence, then both are true at the same time without any changes.

It's completely subjective as to the definition of 'survive' that is used.  Interestingly, the ambiguous nature of some words as applied culturally, etc, is often the basis of miscommunication.

Definition Source:  Miriam Webster - Survive

I was thinking along the lines that both are true. For sure, everyone will die, but for sure,everyone will also be resurrected and the essential components which define you and make you what you are will survive. 

I just thought it was odd that two completely opposite statements, differing by only one word, could both be true.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, askandanswer said:

Which one is true? Are they both true? Are they really opposite in meaning? I don’t think the answer will have any theological significance, but I found this to be an interesting thought to play around with earlier this morning

the bodies won't, the spirits will. both make up a person

On 10.4.2017 at 3:27 AM, askandanswer said:

I have learned in the Church that one can have different opinions on a topic. But when the prophet or the local priesthood leaders say something, it is not their personal opinion, but what God would say to us. The question of which of the opinions then right or wrong does not arise for me then. It is important to me what the LIVING PROPHET says.