Mormon Sexuality?

8 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I just don't find this to be true. There are, of course, outliers and always will be. Blaming "the culture" is, in my opinion, wrong.

I guess we'd have to get statistical analysis to see just how widespread it is or not.  

5 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I just don't find this to be true. There are, of course, outliers and always will be. Blaming "the culture" is, in my opinion, wrong.

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I guess we'd have to get statistical analysis to see just how widespread it is or not.  

How about this as a starting point. It's not robust and I am going off of secondary sources, but it might suggest something:

The most commonly cited statistic in the US is that 20% of marriages are "sexless" defined as 10 or fewer sexual encounters per year. I don't know where the 10x per year number comes from or why that is the accepted criteria, but it is common and is not hotly debated. To put the number in a more meaningful context, If you have a ward with 100 couples (which seems typical -- maybe on the small side -- of the Utah wards I have been in), then 20% is 20 couples. Another number: the Relationships in America survey (Regnerus's group in Texas) seems to confirm the 20% at 10x per year, and suggests 12% of marriages are at 4x per year. I have no data to indicate whether US LDS are higher or lower on this statistic, but my impression is that we are probably similar to the rest of the US.

I cited Mackelprang earlier in the discussion (post #19ish). He claims that "almost all" LDS couples he deals with in his practice exhibit some kind of "contributing religious issue". I don't know exactly what a "contributing religious issue" is or how many "almost all" is. I tend to assume that "contributing religious issues" are the kinds of things we are talking about in this discussion. I also don't know how many "almost all" is, but we could assume every other couple? If we assume half of those couples, then that leaves 10% (10 couples in a ward with 100 couples) who are in a sexless marriage with contributing religious issues. Definitely a minority, but not exactly rare either.

That's my best first guess.

31 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

How about this as a starting point. It's not robust and I am going off of secondary sources, but it might suggest something:

The most commonly cited statistic in the US is that 20% of marriages are "sexless" defined as 10 or fewer sexual encounters per year. I don't know where the 10x per year number comes from or why that is the accepted criteria, but it is common and is not hotly debated. To put the number in a more meaningful context, If you have a ward with 100 couples (which seems typical -- maybe on the small side -- of the Utah wards I have been in), then 20% is 20 couples. Another number: the Relationships in America survey (Regnerus's group in Texas) seems to confirm the 20% at 10x per year, and suggests 12% of marriages are at 4x per year. I have no data to indicate whether US LDS are higher or lower on this statistic, but my impression is that we are probably similar to the rest of the US.

I cited Mackelprang earlier in the discussion (post #19ish). He claims that "almost all" LDS couples he deals with in his practice exhibit some kind of "contributing religious issue". I don't know exactly what a "contributing religious issue" is or how many "almost all" is. I tend to assume that "contributing religious issues" are the kinds of things we are talking about in this discussion. I also don't know how many "almost all" is, but we could assume every other couple? If we assume half of those couples, then that leaves 10% (10 couples in a ward with 100 couples) who are in a sexless marriage with contributing religious issues. Definitely a minority, but not exactly rare either.

That's my best first guess.

I'm not sure citing sexless marriage statistics applies to those of the mindset to ignore doctrine and teach bologna chastity lessons like the chewed up gum theory.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:53 PM, mordorbund said:

You'll be pleased to know that the church has published some material to guide you in teaching your children. A Parent's Guide can also be found in the Gospel Library App.

After all that has been said in this thread, and all the thought provoking posts throughout, I'll say that I'm perfectly happy with this ^^^.

In the end it is the parents' job.  But it is good that the Church has given guidance to parents on how to talk to their children about it.  More than that may be good.  But it also opens the door to more problems.  So, this is about as good as we're going to get IMO.

Edited by Guest