177th Semiannual General Conference

177th Semiannual General Conference

The 177th Annual General Conference of the Church will be held on Saturday, October 6, and Sunday, October 7, 2007.

Video Streams

Live video streams of each session of conference (except general priesthood meeting) will be available in English at www.byu.tv, in Spanish at http://www.byu.tv/international/index.html?show=es, and in Portuguese at http://www.byu.tv/international/index.html?show=pt. The video player will work on all known PC and Macintosh browsers with a broadband Internet connection. Please also note that any time you click the links above, you will see the current live video feed of that broadcast organization.

Audio Streams

1. Download and install a multimedia player.

2. Click on a link under Available Streams for the language in which you wish to listen.

http://www.lds.org/broadcast/gc/0,5161,7834,00.html

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot wait. I love conference. It gives me an opportunity to hear doctrine taught straight from those that are special witnesses of Christ.

Of course, the big thing this conference is the guessing game of who the new counselor will be. It is the great 'game' within the church, trying to figure out who the new Bishop, SP, Apostle, etc., will be.

I have 3 picks: Dallin Oaks, Henry Eyring, or Jeffrey Holland. I haven't a clue on the new Apostle, although the church schools have been kind of a training ground as well (so Pres Samuelson?).

Who do you think will fill these offices?

I cannot wait. I love conference. It gives me an opportunity to hear doctrine taught straight from those that are special witnesses of Christ.

Of course, the big thing this conference is the guessing game of who the new counselor will be. It is the great 'game' within the church, trying to figure out who the new Bishop, SP, Apostle, etc., will be.

I have 3 picks: Dallin Oaks, Henry Eyring, or Jeffrey Holland. I haven't a clue on the new Apostle, although the church schools have been kind of a training ground as well (so Pres Samuelson?).

I agree. My first pick would be Elder Holland, then Elder Oaks. And I want to see another foreign born apostle that would be cool.

Believe it or not, I too enjoy General Conference. I especially enjoy the talks about our families and how to love and cherish each other. I also enjoy hearing about interacting with other faiths, and loving mankind in spite of our differences.

I, being an atheist and not sharing the Church's beliefs regarding sin, do not enjoy those talks as much.

But I think what strikes me the most is the devotion and sheer joy I see on all of the member's faces at the chance to be able attend Conference in person. It is unmistakable and I find myself wishing I could be a part of that.

Sometimes a few members of my family will come over to watch it. I do feel included when I share my feelings on the talks I enjoyed--not so much if I mention comments I found I didn't care for. But then, that's to be expected and I pretty much keep those to myself. But that's okay as I'd rather do that than put a pall on the experience of being with my family during a time of closeness with them.

I despise those abhorrent people who demean the members' joy of worship with their pure meaness. I do think most members are so used to them now they just ignore them. But I suspect it is just plain meaness oozing from some need to harass in the name of God, and I admit I don't comprehend the motivation. I don't believe for one minute it is as simple as they just believe LDS denigrate the true Christ. I think they're belief is more pathological than that, or they wouldn't act so pathetically mean.

Anyway, I look forward to Conference myself. I find it, for the most part, edifying. My favorite part is seeing President Hinckley, for I love the man. I hope he is well enough to attend as Conference wouldn't be the same to me without him.

Elphaba

Believe it or not, I too enjoy General Conference. I especially enjoy the talks about our families and how to love and cherish each other. I also enjoy hearing about interacting with other faiths, and loving mankind in spite of our differences.

I, being an atheist and not sharing the Church's beliefs regarding sin, do not enjoy those talks as much.

But I think what strikes me the most is the devotion and sheer joy I see on all of the member's faces at the chance to be able attend Conference in person. It is unmistakable and I find myself wishing I could be a part of that.

Sometimes a few members of my family will come over to watch it. I do feel included when I share my feelings on the talks I enjoyed--not so much if I mention comments I found I didn't care for. But then, that's to be expected and I pretty much keep those to myself. But that's okay as I'd rather do that than put a pall on the experience of being with my family during a time of closeness with them.

I despise those abhorrent people who demean the members' joy of worship with their pure meaness. I do think most members are so used to them now they just ignore them. But I suspect it is just plain meaness oozing from some need to harass in the name of God, and I admit I don't comprehend the motivation. I don't believe for one minute it is as simple as they just believe LDS denigrate the true Christ. I think they're belief is more pathological than that, or they wouldn't act so pathetically mean each Conference.

Anyway, I look forward to Conference myself. I find it, for the most part, edifying. My favorite part is seeing President Hinckley, for I love the man. I hope he is well enough to attend as Conference wouldn't be the same to me without him.

Elphaba

I could see how you would enjoy them as well. Many of the talks as you mentioned above deal with how we treat others, debt, many other things that would and do pertain to people of all faiths not just LDS.

<div class='quotemain'>

I agree. My first pick would be Elder Holland, then Elder Oaks. And I want to see another foreign born apostle that would be cool.

Because I believe in intellectual freedom, I would hope they choose anyone but Oaks. And it would be nice to see a Black man in the Quorum, but the odds seem to be somewhere between fat chance and never.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Because I believe in intellectual freedom, I would hope they choose anyone but Oaks. And it would be nice to see a Black man in the Quorum, but the odds seem to be somewhere between fat chance and never.

I agree with you in your response it would be nice to see a Black Man in the Quorum.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

I understand that you were once LDS, Jason. If so, are you one of those folks that President Hinckley was referring to when he said, "some people can leave the Church, but they can't leave it alone"?

The new member of the First Presidency doesn't necessarily have to be a current Apostle, much like a bishop doesn't have to be in the bishopric or be a high priest before he's called. I think we might be surprised who it is.

<div class='quotemain'>

Will they announce it in Saturday's session or Sunday's? I'm so afraid I will miss it as I work both days.

I assumed it would be saturday morning session...... :dontknow:

I should be good then. I am not scheduled until 12:30.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Will they announce it in Saturday's session or Sunday's? I'm so afraid I will miss it as I work both days.

I assumed it would be saturday morning session...... :dontknow:

I should be good then. I am not scheduled until 12:30.

I will be tuned in for that reason

I thought that (for the most part) the 'business' session was the 2nd session. It seems that when they have extended callings it has been in the 2nd session.

I'm sure that that is more tradition than anything else. I guess we'll see...

Pale, you didn't get called to SLC for an interview? I am shocked.

Ben Raines

Not that he's admitting anyway. And did you REALLY come to SLC recently for a wedding? :P

Who me? A wedding? Yes a month ago. Dropped my wife off at some big store in Draper to see the furniture, IKEA. I was trying to find an internet hotspot and stopped at a Chevron minimart that went down a street to the Coca-Cola plant. I don't think Utah knows about wifi. I was roaming around trying to find a hotspot. Ended up at a Kinkos.

As I understand I pulled up in front of your station but didn't got in. Ouch, my bad. :)

Ben Raines

Who me? A wedding? Yes a month ago. Dropped my wife off at some big store in Draper to see the furniture, IKEA. I was trying to find an internet hotspot and stopped at a Chevron minimart that went down a street to the Coca-Cola plant. I don't think Utah knows about wifi. I was roaming around trying to find a hotspot. Ended up at a Kinkos.

As I understand I pulled up in front of your station but didn't got in. Ouch, my bad. :)

Ben Raines

That store sounds vaguely famiiar.

Anyway...if the business part is the second session..darn it I'm going to miss it as I will be at that Chevron minimart.