Melchizedek priesthood quorums

3 hours ago, John_Pack_Lambert said:

In the 1950s new convert men were ordained deasoncs, then teachers than priests. Today they are just ordained priests.

Not in my ward. The adult men still follow the deacon-teacher-priest route.

4 hours ago, John_Pack_Lambert said:

Plus, the stake presidency could leave in the current EQP.

They could, but given the instruction received, I think it's more likely they release the quorum president, as instructed, then call him to that position again.

The Palmer Park/Belle Isle contrast goes deeper. In Palmer Park there are members who have been actively involved in Michigan Mormon matters since at least the 1960s. If there is one draw back the suburban "white" (see my comments about Native American and Indian ancestry) tend to be well over 55. There are exceptions, such as the man who works as a church engineer (including overseeing maintenance for the Detroit Temple), whi is probably not quite 50. There is also one couple that work as school teachers and live in the city of Detroit itself. Belle Isle Branch has no active white couples living in Detroit, and in fact only one active black couple living in the city. When I get married the blance will change a little, although we will be an active biracial couple. Belle Isle Branch did have a black sister who was baptized there in about 2010 who later served a mission, graduated from BYU-Idaho and married a man who she met at BYU-Idaho (a white man for what it is worth), but they live elsewhere now. Both branches have often seen young active members move away, especially inner city resident ones escaping the city as they pursue an education.

Belle Isle Branch at one point did have a biracial couple who had met in another branch where the white husband was branch president (and a YUPI resident of a high cost high rise in mid-town Detroit) and the wife was a black woman who grew up in the projects. They lived in the Grosse Pointe (aka super ritzy suburband) part of Belle Isle Branch, but were only there a few years before moving to Tennessee.

Belle Isle branch on the other hand as I mentioned almost all of its active members are recent transplants from Utah, Idaho, California, Arizona or such. There are exceptions, such as the EQP (at least before conference) who is a native of New Hampshire and whose Utah-born wife graduated high school in Michigan (almost in metro-Detroit, in a place about as metro-Detroit as Heber City is metro-Salt Lake City). 

More often is like my fiancee's other counselor in the Young women general presidency, a sister from Utah who is in Michigan while her husband is in dental school. Belle Isle branch has lots of short term medical related members. It is the some of the further suburban wards, around the temple, that see career medical people, such as our stake president. 

Two wards in my stake take in large swaths of Detroit. They actually currently have more African-Americans in the ward counsil than does Belle Isle Branch. In Roseville Ward the Young Men's President is African-American, and before he was YMP, his wife was Relief Society President. Roseville Ward, although next to Belle Isle Branch, has a lot less clear dividing lines. While the YMP lives in Detroit, many of the active African-American members, including one who was in the stake relief society presidency, live in the suburbs. Southfiled Ward has a suburb living African-American man in the bishopric. In the case of Southfield Ward, it does take in a large swath of Detroit, but also Southfield, Lathrup Village, Royal Oak Township and Oak Park, majority African-American suburbs. On the other hand most of the active membership is either white or of some Hispanic origin (including Brother Allred whose mother, born in El Salvador, was in the General Relief Society Presidency). Most of the active membership lives in Royal Oak, Berkeley, Huntington Woods, Beverly Hills, Franklin and Bingham Farms, overwhelmingly white suburban areas. On the other hand there are active white members living in one of the most economically depressed areas of Detroit. Yet one of the key families in the ward is a couple where the wife is of Mexican descent (although adopted when young and raised by a couple where the mother was a native of Estonia), whose children are probably among the few non-black students at Southfield Lathrup High School. Southfield School District has a higher percentage of black students than does Detroit Public Schools, mainly because it has much fewer Hispanic students. You have to bear in mind DPS is so black than I teach at a DPS where 355 of the 360 students are black, the other 5 being Hispanics. I am not exagerating at all.

Sorry if I accidentally double posted. For what it is worth it is a teacher's council, not counsel. It gets confusing because there are both counselors in a bishopric/stake presidency and then there is a high council, ward council, mission council etc.

Ordaining men as priests shortly after baptism is the Church wide procedure. If your ward is ordaining adult men as deacons they are clearly not following the established policies of the Church.

2 hours ago, zil said:

Actually, there are new meetings:

1) EQ Presidency + RS Presidency to discuss ministering.

2) EP President + RS President + Bishop to discuss ministering.

My previous statement was actually mainly based on what Elder Rasband said. That was before the changes to minsitering were announced. I am thinking these new coordinating meetings may necesitate creating a new Church Handbook, along with all the other recent chagnes.

@John_Pack_Lambert Thank you so much for this interesting description! I have often wondered about the lifestyles of the Detroit area saints. We share a temple. I drive over from ??. I have friends who have worked in the emergency at Henry Ford. Have you had a Detroit Experience tour? There is a free one every Saturday.

Best Wishes

Edited by Sunday21