What Tops Your Salad?

zil

Summer is salad season (to me - let's me avoid cooking, which involves heat, which summer has enough of).  So I thought we could add variety to each other's salads by sharing what non-fruit, non-vegetable you like to put on your salad - I'm thinking of the leafy-green type salads here (not fruit or potato salad).

For example, I pretty much always have shredded cheese (usually colby-jack) on my salad, and croutons (cuz I like the crunch).  I'll usually have chicken or turkey on it - and call it dinner.  Sometimes I use those crunchy chow mein noodles instead of croutons - or something like strips of corn chips - crunchy corn tortilla thingies - don't remember what they're called, but they're in with the croutons.  Sunflower seeds, if I happen to have any of the shelled variety.  Oh, yeah, bacon bits (or things flavored like them) - gotta have those.

So, what are your favorite salad toppers?

Edited by zil

1 hour ago, zil said:

Summer is salad season (to me - let's me avoid cooking, which involves heat, which summer has enough of).  So I thought we could add variety to each other's salads by sharing what non-fruit, non-vegetable you like to put on your salad - I'm thinking of the leafy-green type salads here (not fruit or potato salad).

For example, I pretty much always have shredded cheese (usually colby-jack) on my salad, and croutons (cuz I like the crunch).  I'll usually have chicken or turkey on it - and call it dinner.  Sometimes I use those crunchy chow mein noodles instead of croutons - or something like strips of corn chips - crunchy corn tortilla thingies - don't remember what they're called, but they're in with the croutons.  Sunflower seeds, if I happen to have any of the shelled variety.  Oh, yeah, bacon bits (or things flavored like them) - gotta have those.

So, what are your favorite salad toppers?

Side story:  I have a small farm, so we eat a ton of veggies and salad in season.   Last week it was hot so my wife and I had salad, but we made the boys a proper dinner.  We take turns saying prayer before meals, and this evening the child ended prayer with "....and Heavenly Father, I really wish I had salad instead of chicken for supper.  Jesus knows I really like croutons."

1 minute ago, Grunt said:

Side story:  I have a small farm, so we eat a ton of veggies and salad in season.   Last week it was hot so my wife and I had salad, but we made the boys a proper dinner.  We take turns saying prayer before meals, and this evening the child ended prayer with "....and Heavenly Father, I really wish I had salad instead of chicken for supper.  Jesus knows I really like croutons."

I sure hope you're writing all these in a journal or something.  These kids may benefit from the memory of what a simple, trusting prayer is like.  Or you can add a little line-drawing and sell the cartoons for extra retirement income. ;)

Well, I already gave my "Lotsa-Love Salad" just before Thanksgiving last year.

For common salads, we have to have cheese.  Diced meats are great.  Ham, sausage, chicken, pepperoni.