A Question that Bothered Me

ABCDario

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I've always thought they were.  But come to think of it, I've never seen that written anywhere.  EOM says they were at that time.  But it gives no references.  So...???

The reference is probably Mormon Doctrine (cited HERE), which says: 

"To those who lived before the resurrection of Christ, the day of his coming forth from the dead was known as the first resurrection. Abinadi and Alma, for instance, so considered it. (Mosiah 15:21-25; Alma 40.) To those who have lived since that day, the first resurrection is yet future and will take place at the time of the Second Coming. (D. & C. 88:96-102.) We have no knowledge that the resurrection is going on now or that any persons have been resurrected since the day in which Christ came forth excepting Peter, James, and Moroni, all of whom had special labors to perform in this day which necessitated tangible resurrected bodies." (bold mine)

But, unfortunately, McConkie also doesn't provide references.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

15 hours ago, ABCDario said:

The question I had regarded John the Beloved and his appearance during the ordination of Joseph Smith, Jr. and Oliver Cowdery to the Melchizedek priesthood, the higher priesthood authority of God.  I could never wrap my head around how John appeared with Peter and Jame, they being two resurrected beings, and he being instead a transfigured being, saying he never died and won't until the return of Christ.

John the Beloved had both been transfigured and translated. He is a translated being during this time, and up to this time until resurrection. His position technically allows him to be any place on the earth, similar to resurrected beings, and I wouldn't be surprised if their mode of travel is the same also (but that is totally speculative).

My question always stemmed around the notion of resurrected beings, verses spirit of the just. Spirits of the just have not been resurrected, and have wondered how the laying on of hands would occur, and yet, there are other experiences in my life where even spirits are able to apply pressure. Yet, in this thread some have pointed out that they were resurrected (Peter and James), so if so, then that answers that question, or better said it clears that question up if so.

John the Beloved laying hands on people would be no different than the three Nephites that currently remain on the earth also.

39 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

John the Beloved had both been transfigured and translated.

What would you say the difference between translated and transfigured is?  I tend to get them mixed up a lot, and the relationship between the two is of interest to me still.

45 minutes ago, ABCDario said:

What would you say the difference between translated and transfigured is?  I tend to get them mixed up a lot, and the relationship between the two is of interest to me still.

You are not alone in mixing these up, as at times, I have to review and be reminded myself.

Transfigured is what happened at the Mount of Olives, and what it is said Joseph Smith probably experienced also during the First Vision. Transfigured is the temporary change to the body in order to see God, or to experience something of that nature.

Translated is permanent, but not resurrected.

* Transfigured Source

* Translated Source

Edited by Anddenex

5 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

@zil Aren't you supposed to tell us what pens and paper you used?

:lol: I shall have you all brainwashed before the end of the year! Bwa ha ha ha!

Paper: Mnemosyne (183)  I think it's A5 size, but it doesn't say.  Blank except a title / date line at the top.

Text was written in Robert Oster Blue Denim (shading and sheen monster! :D ) in a Visconti London Fog, EF.

The stick was drawn with a brown Thornton's disposable (F).

The cocoon and black bits of the butterfly were drawn with a black Pilot Varsity (disposable, M).

The orange (which picked up way too much of the black - should have used a Sakura Pigma Micron for the black) is Nemosine Solar Storm 1859 in a Pilot Vanishing Point Decimo, EF.

:)

On the resurrection of Peter and James I found the following that seem authoritative enough to me to accept they were indeed resurrected.

“It is the opinion of some that the resurrection is going on all the time now, but this is purely speculation without warrant in the scriptures. It is true that the Lord has power to call forth any person or persons from the dead, as he may desire, especially if they have a mission to perform which would require their resurrection. For example, we have the cases of Peter, James, and Moroni.

“We are given to understand that the first resurrection yet future, which means the coming forth of the righteous, will take place at one particular time, which is when our Savior shall appear in the clouds of heaven, when he shall return to reign. For us to speculate whether or not the Prophet Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, and others have been called forth, without any revelation from the Lord, is merely supposition. When the Lord wants any of these men, he has the power to call them, but the first resurrection, with which we have any future concern, will commence when Christ comes” (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:299–300).

This link has a lot of reading all about resurrection and includes other statements to affirm the resurrected status of Peter and James. Another notable one is from Ezra Taft Benson. Whether this was ever directly revealed to a prophet or simply inferred by virtue of physicality being essential to the performance of ordinances, I can't say.