Interpretation?

mikbone

1 hour ago, Rob Osborn said:

To think our doctrine is 100% accurate would be shortsighted.

It is my opinion that the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is 100% reliable and accurate - the problem (if or when such exists) is in understanding and receiving the inspiration necessary to see with spiritual eyes and hear with spiritual ears.  Never-the-less, I do not doubt that without the holy spirit (Holy Ghost) to guide and give understanding that doctrine would definitely appear or seem to be inaccurate and insufficient. 

The Traveler

18 minutes ago, Traveler said:

It is my opinion that the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is 100% reliable and accurate - the problem (if or when such exists) is in understanding and receiving the inspiration necessary to see with spiritual eyes and hear with spiritual ears.  Never-the-less, I do not doubt that without the holy spirit (Holy Ghost) to guide and give understanding that doctrine would definitely appear or seem to be inaccurate and insufficient. 

The Traveler

Let me rephrase it to give better meaning-

Anyone who believes our doctrine is completely true, containing no errors whatsoever, no matter how large or small, is naive. This scripture comes to mind. Note the bold-

78 Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand.

11 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

Let me rephrase it to give better meaning-

Anyone who believes our doctrine is completely true, containing no errors whatsoever, no matter how large or small, is naive. This scripture comes to mind. Note the bold-

78 Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand.

I will attempt the same by rephrasing:

Regardless of how complete, perfect, pure, holy, sacred, exact and spot on doctrine is - no man can understand it or realize how completely true it is - without any error whatsoever:

The following scriptures come to mind:

Isaiah

8  For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

This next scripture that I will quote is also from Isaiah - but I am going to quote from the original Hebrew Isaiah scroll found with the Dead Sea Scriptures - This is considered the most accurate ancient scripture text currently in existence.

From Isaiah 7:9 (not the entire verse - but the last sentence) im lo' ta'aminu ki lo' te'amenu

This is a play on words and taking that into account it means - "If you do not believe it - it is because you are not loyal to G-d".

The final scripture is 2 Timothy 4:3

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I will attempt the same by rephrasing:

Regardless of how complete, perfect, pure, holy, sacred, exact and spot on doctrine is - no man can understand it or realize how completely true it is - without any error whatsoever:

The following scriptures come to mind:

This next scripture that I will quote is also from Isaiah - but I am going to quote from the original Hebrew Isaiah scroll found with the Dead Sea Scriptures - This is considered the most accurate ancient scripture text currently in existence.

This is a play on words and taking that into account it means - "If you do not believe it - it is because you are not loyal to G-d".

The final scripture is 2 Timothy 4:3

The Traveler

So, are you suggesting that LDS doctrine- that which we teach has always been 100% perfect since Joseph Smith? Because I beg to differ. Blacks and the priesthood comes to mind...

On 12/19/2018 at 2:39 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

You know...I'm not sure I agree.

I'd dare say the words of the prophet are fully authoritative whether they are the words of the Lord or not. If the prophet says, "from now on we won't serve chocolate cake in any temple cafeterias" then I'm pretty darned sure we're going to see chocolate cake gone from the cafeterias whether that's the Lord's will or the prophet's distaste for chocolate cake.

This reminds me of an interesting story in our Church history.

Wilford Woodruff, before becoming prophet knew that he would be the next prophet.  He told John Taylor, who was the prophet at the time that he (Woodruff) wasn't ready to be prophet.  John Taylor then said that no one is ever ready to be prophet.  After thinking about it more, he went on to say that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young might have been, be he certainly wasn't.  

Wilford Woodruff asked John Taylor what the hardest part of being the prophet was.   John Taylor explained that it was that many church members assume that everything that comes out of his mouth was a direct revelation from God and that it was a huge burden.  He had to be extremely careful when talking around people.    For example, he once came out of a church meeting and said that it looks like rain.  By the time of the next meeting a few hours later, it was sunny, but everyone in the congregation had their umbrellas with them.  He said that he wished he could get people to understand and see when he is talking as a prophet and when he is talking as a man.