Liking Yourself Doesn’t Make You Conceited

Okay, so obviously Mean Girls isn't often a vehicle for gospel learning (although, if I'm being totally honest, I did reference it in my missionary farewell talk), but I can't think of a better way to start my article than this: Regina George: "You're like, really pretty." Cady Heron: "Thank you!" Regina: "So you agree? You think you're really pretty?" For a long time, I'll admit to being a Regina. I mean, I didn't create a burn book or punch anyone in the face ("One time she punched me in the face... It was awesome!"), but I did have an alarm that would go off in my head blaring the word "Conceited!" any time someone complimented their own appearance or admitted they were smart or funny. You think your haircut looks good on you? Self-absorbed. Think you look awesome in that dress? Stuck up! Said you deserved that 'A' on your history test? Sheesh, brag much?! Basically, if someone liked themselves or gave themselves credit for something, I thought they were vain. But liking yourself? Being...

View the full article

I once told my mother something like, "A movie review says more about the reviewer than it does about the movie." Mom found that disquieting. But I think it's generally true, and widely applicable. I certainly see it in my own writing. It's one reason I sometimes appreciate the paper-thin anonymity this site affords, because I'm perfectly well aware that what I write here is an outline of my own personality and only a dim echo of the reality I think I'm commenting on.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

I'm perfectly well aware that what I write here is an outline of my own personality and only a dim echo of the reality I think I'm commenting on.

This comment depresses me.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Guest Mores

That initial exchange about being pretty reminded me of my wife.

My wife is classic ugly duckling syndrome.  Not treated well by peers as a child.  Blossomed into the most beautiful woman in the world.  Lucky for me -- she don't know she's beautiful.

Every day I go to her and ask,"How's the most beautiful woman in the world?"  Years ago, she'd say,"I don't know.  You'll have to ask her."

Years later she started to say,"Fine."  I'd reply,"So, you admit you're the most beautiful woman in the world."  "Well, I admit that YOU think I am."  Darn those loopholes.

I think she's finally coming around to thinking she really is beautiful.  Good.

As for the rest of the article.  That is pretty much what I was thinking.  I remember Will Smith's statement in MIB: "I make this look good."

Edited by Mores