LDS Sacrament

Snow

If you are LDS, are you familiar with the term sacrament and the weekly meeting dedicated to it?  

1. 1. If you are LDS, are you familiar with the term sacrament and the weekly meeting dedicated to it?

Starsky says that sacrament, although it is in the Doctrine and Covenants, it not part of the everyday LDS verbiage. Ammon says that it is not a common idea in the Church.

Maybe I am usual but I go to Sacrament Meeting most every week, and renew my covenants and meditate on the atonement by taking the sacrament. I view is as one of the foundational building blocks of everyday LDS living. Is the concept rare enough that some members are unfamiliar with it?

I remember growing up there was a Sunday that something came up and we had to leave church early. My dad had us wait until after we did the sacrament before leaving. I asked him why we did just leave before and his response was that since he couldn't stay for the entire services, he wanted to at least re-new his covenants. That's always stuck with me (I was probably 10 or 11 at the time).

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Snow@Apr 15 2004, 06:53 PM

Starsky says that sacrament, although it is in the Doctrine and Covenants, it not part of the everyday LDS verbiage. Ammon says that it is not a common idea in the Church.

Maybe I am usual but I go to Sacrament Meeting most every week, and renew my covenants and meditate on the atonement by taking the sacrament. I view is as one of the foundational building blocks of everyday LDS living. Is the concept rare enough that some members are unfamiliar with it?

I didn't mean the sacrement we take every sunday as not being used in that context....I was referring to the word '

sacrement' being used in place of 'ordinance' such as baptism....

Originally posted by Starsky@Apr 15 2004, 09:27 PM

I didn't mean the sacrement we take every sunday as not being used in that context....I was referring to the word 'sacrement' being used in place of 'ordinance' such as baptism....

Like the Catholic Church? It describes it's main rituals as sacraments:

The Seven Sacraments:

1. Baptism

2. Reconciliation/Penance/Confession

3. Holy Eucharist (Communion)

4. Confirmation

5. Matrimony

6. Holy Orders (Serving as Priests)

7. Extreme Unction (Last Rights)

M.

Originally posted by Maureen+Apr 16 2004, 07:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Apr 16 2004, 07:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Starsky@Apr 15 2004, 09:27 PM

I didn't mean the sacrement we take every sunday as not being used in that context....I was referring to the word 'sacrement' being used in place of 'ordinance' such as baptism....

Like the Catholic Church? It describes it's main rituals as sacraments:

The Seven Sacraments:

1. Baptism

2. Reconciliation/Penance/Confession

3. Holy Eucharist (Communion)

4. Confirmation

5. Matrimony

6. Holy Orders (Serving as Priests)

7. Extreme Unction (Last Rights)

M.

Right. The Restoration has 7 sacraments/ordinances.

Baptism

Confirmation

Ordination

Blessing of children

Patriarchal blessings

Marriage

Lord's Supper

Of this list, the only two that I consider sacraments are Baptism and the Lord's Supper, however, the Community of Christ has started calling them all sacraments.

Guest Ammon

Originally posted by Snow@Apr 15 2004, 06:53 PM

You've totally taken out of context what Starsky and I said. :angry: The term was "sacraments," which is an othrodox Christian term for certain practices and ordinances. The original inquiry, from Jenda, I believe, was, "What are the LDS sacraments?" That is NOT the same thing as the Sacrament we take every week. :angry:

I must ask, why did you do this? Why do you so skillfully try to nitpick, twist, entrap, and cause contention? :( I assume you KNEW what we discussed, but then went ahead and twisted it all around to your liking. And if you didn't make this silly post to entrap, you need to educate yourself regarding the terminologies of other churches so that you know what people are talking about when comparing our church to theirs. "Sacraments" and "Sacrament" are not synonms in the context of the disucssion at issue. While the Sacrament is one of our Sacraments, it is not the only one. Hence, my note that the term "Sacraments" is not used commonly in our church, and it is not.

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Ammon+Apr 16 2004, 09:59 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ammon @ Apr 16 2004, 09:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Apr 15 2004, 06:53 PM

You've totally taken out of context what Starsky and I said. :angry: The term was "sacraments," which is an othrodox Christian term for certain practices and ordinances. The original inquiry, from Jenda, I believe, was, "What are the LDS sacraments?" That is NOT the same thing as the Sacrament we take every week. :angry:

I must ask, why did you do this? Why do you so skillfully try to nitpick, twist, entrap, and cause contention? :( I assume you KNEW what we discussed, but then went ahead and twisted it all around to your liking. And if you didn't make this silly post to entrap, you need to educate yourself regarding the terminologies of other churches so that you know what people are talking about when comparing our church to theirs. "Sacraments" and "Sacrament" are not synonms in the context of the disucssion at issue. While the Sacrament is one of our Sacraments, it is not the only one. Hence, my note that the term "Sacraments" is not used commonly in our church, and it is not.

I wonder if Snow made the same mistake as myself. I didn't take note of the 's' on the second terminology....though I was awear it was there, I didn't separate it from the one without.

Thanks Ammon...your post clarified and separated them even further than i had....I was just separating them in my head...not in text.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Apr 16 2004, 02:59 PM

"Thanks Jason, that was very useful...." (starsky)

What else is an apostate good for? ;)

LOL...I can think of a lot of things apostates are good for....it just so happens that religious information is one ...

Now we wouldn't go to you for a testimony on Sundays testimony meeting.... :)

Snow,

I do the same thing during sacrement meeting, helps me though each week....

I don't think thats what starski ment though, we are on two different topics.

Laureltree

Originally posted by Ammon+Apr 16 2004, 09:59 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ammon @ Apr 16 2004, 09:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Apr 15 2004, 06:53 PM

Got some news for you scout,

Take and LDS concordance or topical guide or go to LDS.org and click on a hyperlinked word in the D&C. Sacrament and Sacraments are referrenced in dozens of LDS scriptures. Sacrament and sacraments are an intergral part of the LDS gospel. In Catholicism, a sacrament is an outward sign of inner grace instituted by Christ for sanctification, for example the ordinances of baptism, confirmation and marriage. In the LDS faith we also have ordinances where we promise to take upon ourselves the name of Christ, always remember him and keep his commandemnts. We offer up our personal sacraments when we participate in the Sacrament ordinance on the Sabbath and recall & renew the covenants that we made in baptism, confirmation, marriage, etc.

You may not understand what sacrament and sacraments and the Sabbath Sacrament ordinance are, but apparently all other Mormons answering the poll in this thread know exactly what they. If you think that is a trap, or nitpicking then so be it. All I can do is suggest that you start attending Sacrament Meeting on Sunday, recall your temple covenants and stop speaking ill of the Lord's annoited.

Originally posted by Ammon@Apr 19 2004, 12:49 PM

I think you need a time-out.

Ammon,

You sound like an active LDS type and maybe even a returned missionary. If so, you have been though the temple. And, if that is so, do you take you covenants seriously? It is a little convenient to act like I am the one out of line so as to avoid your behavior isn't it?

I think what is most sad about this, is while this sight is "LDS", it totally degrades truth. Is there going to be one post thread that does not Phylosophize the doctrine that has been given to us from GOD!?

To much "breaking-down" and trying define EVERYTHING, regardless of whether it is time for clarification or not. Gospel Doctrine by Joseph F. Smith happens to have a great deal about this. ANd what he has written, I am in total agreeance with.

Take for instance the priesthood ban. Everyone should have shut up and allowed God's will to be done, when God wanted. As far as I am concerned there is no controversy, no "real issue". If you aren't satisfied with God's will and the messengers that have been sent by to project that message, then why are you even a member. Why can't things just be simple, the only beings that complicate an issue are us. As boring as living by God's will may be, isn't that what we are here for. If it was God's will to lift the ban when he did and you support it...news flash, doesn't make you a racist, or a biggot.....REGARDLESS OF SOCIAL DISARRAY SUROUNDING THE ISSUE.(I know this is off topic, but it is an example)

Hey Ammon, don't worry about it Bro. I myself have also grown tired of these Phylosophical types. Keep on truckin, by the way...how are things at christianity.com??? I asked three simple questions and only wanted a yes or no...but unfortunately they knew what answering them in such a fashion would prove, so they danced like the dickens around them and pulled a fatty strawman into the discussion to defer attention to the true meaning of my inquiry. It's sad, if a tactic, standard, or basis for an argument supports the anti-mormon...."swoon"....it's totally ok, but the minute it doesn't help them out....it's not admissable, and nothing more than decietful propaganda.

porter(not the gunslinger)rockwell,

"Phylosophize"

Interesting word. I looked it up:

"Phyllo, which literally translated means "leaf" in Greek, refers to the tissue-thin, almost transparent sheets of pastry dough made of flour and water that are used in a variety of Greek and Middle Eastern dishes. Phyllo, also spelled filo, is an integral ingredient in both baklava, the Greek dessert, and spanakopitta, the savory spinach cheese pie. Although similar to strudel dough, phyllo sheets are much thinner."

"Sophia, a wise man, or knowledgeable individual."

Therefore, combining the two as you have done:

Phylosophize = a professional pastry dough maker, or a new term for creating a 'straw man' argument. Now we can use a "thin dough man" argument!

Genius!

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Apr 21 2004, 11:30 PM

Phylosophize = a professional pastry dough maker, or a new term for creating a 'straw man' argument. Now we can use a "thin dough man" argument!

Genius!

Formal Protest:

If I had ample time, Jason, I might have though of that first.

Guest Ammon
Originally posted by Snow+Apr 19 2004, 06:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Apr 19 2004, 06:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Ammon@Apr 19 2004, 12:49 PM

I think you need a time-out.

Ammon,

You sound like an active LDS type and maybe even a returned missionary. If so, you have been though the temple. And, if that is so, do you take you covenants seriously? It is a little convenient to act like I am the one out of line so as to avoid your behavior isn't it?

WTH? <_<