When Hot Means Cold. . . .

Guest bizabra

Guest bizabra

Doesn't it strike anyone as strange that scripture doesn't say what it means, but needs to be "interpreted"?

Take the WofW. It clearly says that "hot drinks" are not for use, and that meat is to be used "sparingly" in winter and "times of famine". It also says it is NOT a commandment nor a constraint, but simply a word of advice. Oats are also spelled out as being for horses, not man.

However, NOW THE CHURCH leaders say that hot drinks REALLY mean caffeinated beverages, either hot or cold (but cocoa is exempt, heh heh). They also say this is a commandment, in that one cannot enter the temple if one drinks such "hot drinks" (even if they are icy cold), turning what was ADVICE into a "constraint". In addition, my morning bowl of oatmeal, which science proves is good for humans, should be verboten, yet it is not.

Wilikers!

Am I the only one who sees something wrong here?

This is why I believe that the WofW is nothing more nowaways than an obedience test and should not be confused with anything that is meant to help us become more healthy.

Originally posted by bizabra@Apr 17 2004, 11:56 AM

Doesn't it strike anyone as strange that scripture doesn't say what it means, but needs to be "interpreted"?....

This is why I believe that the WofW is nothing more nowaways than an obedience test and should not be confused with anything that is meant to help us become more healthy.

bizabra - I agree with you completely. It is no more than an obedience test.

M.

No matter how clear any piece of scripture is, there will be people who will try and make that scripture say what they want it to say. They call it "interpretation". Though some of the bible does require an interpretation, the parts that do require interpretation are usually relatively minor issues (unless you consider women wearing head coverings in church to be major).

Originally posted by Tr2@Apr 17 2004, 12:06 PM

Though some of the bible does require an interpretation, the parts that do require interpretation are usually relatively minor issues

That's the first time I've ever heard SALVATION being called a relatively minor issue.

Doesn't it strike anyone as strange that scripture doesn't say what it means, but needs to be "interpreted"? 

Take the WofW.  It clearly says that "hot drinks" are not for use, and that meat is to be used "sparingly" in winter and "times of famine".  It also says it is NOT a commandment nor a constraint, but simply a word of advice.  Oats are also spelled out as being for horses, not man.

However, NOW THE CHURCH leaders say that hot drinks REALLY mean caffeinated beverages, either hot or cold (but cocoa is exempt, heh heh).  They also say this is a commandment, in that one cannot enter the temple if one drinks such "hot drinks" (even if they are icy cold), turning what was ADVICE into a "constraint".  In addition, my morning bowl of oatmeal, which science proves is good for humans, should be verboten, yet it is not.

Wilikers!

Hi there!

So... Are there inconsistencies in reading the scriptures? "take this literally" "take this figuratively" "don't take this at all"?

Kind of a do as I say and not as God said interpretation?

just curious

~serapha~

Guest Starsky

1 Cor. 2:7

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory.

In order to gain anything given from the scriptures and teachings, we must hunger and thirst ...thereby proving our whole heart, mind and strength is directed toward seeking truth....in humility, submission, and love for the Lord.

Mark 4: 11

11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

Luke 8: 10

10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

D&C 38: 27

27 Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.

I had an experience once with the WoW which was very precious to me. I wouldn't have had that experience if I didn't seek diligently to receive it.

I think the Lord wants a 'spiritually' prepared people to receive and be accountable. Is it harder? More apt to be confussing to the unspiritually minded?....sure.

But I think if I put it into another context you will see the wisdom in not just giving information to those who are not spiritually prepared to use it.

Consider the damage done by people like Mitchell....

People who have knowledge of scriptures, but are not 'spiritually' prepared and purified enough to 'put it to it's proper application'.....

I find it ingenious of the Lord to make us walk a road inwhich we are required to become prepared before we gain the precious things hidden in the scriptures.

Those who don't really 'have' the Spirit are shown to be frauds by their characters and use of the doctrines they pretend to know and understand.

Absolute submission to Christ, total acknowledgement and abandonment of our sins and weaknesses is required....before we can honestly be considered 'non-hypocritical'.....or unbiased in our interpretations of any given doctrine.

Everyone must find their own way to this state of being....it isn't something I can give to you, or you can give to me.

Therefore, the doctrine is given in such a way....mystery....as to require some work in order to 'truly' obtain it for yourself on a personalized level.

D&C 121:45-46.

If you truly want to gain the state of being promised at the end of section 89, you must listen to the prophets and obey humbly.....when you have reached that kind of submissive state of mind, heart, and being....you will be ready to listen to the more intimate and 'personalized' version of that section from the Lord directly to you.

Then...when you receive that personalized version....it isn't for preaching over the pulpet....it is just for you....

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by serapha@Apr 18 2004, 06:35 AM

Take the WofW.  It clearly says that "hot drinks" are not for use, and that meat is to be used "sparingly" in winter and "times of famine".  It also says it is NOT a commandment nor a constraint, but simply a word of advice.  Oats are also spelled out as being for horses, not man.

However, NOW THE CHURCH leaders say that hot drinks REALLY mean caffeinated beverages, either hot or cold (but cocoa is exempt, heh heh).  They also say this is a commandment, in that one cannot enter the temple if one drinks such "hot drinks" (even if they are icy cold), turning what was ADVICE into a "constraint".  In addition, my morning bowl of oatmeal, which science proves is good for humans, should be verboten, yet it is not.

Wilikers!

Hi there!

So... Are there inconsistencies in reading the scriptures? "take this literally" "take this figuratively" "don't take this at all"?

Kind of a do as I say and not as God said interpretation?

just curious

~serapha~

Serapha,

Your response is all to personally convienient....wouldn't you rather gain something here?

Guest estump

There is nothing that is hard to understand about the WoW. IMHO.

I think nit picking about certain issues (i.e. how much meat to eat and so forth) is stupid. The Lord has provided a way for all of us as individuals to become healthy. Not every human body will react the same way to the same kind of food. It is a personal journey to find what works for you.

I try not to drink soda, period, because I am a diabetic. (type 1) I had some today, because my BS was very low after church and it contained caffeine. Caffeine makes me very sleepy. I am crashing now due to it, but it was that or faint earlier. I took the lesser of the two evils. :-)

When one is actively engaged in taking care of their body, their mind will open up. When I do everything to eat healthy and follow the plan that has been laid out for me, I am in a better place to receive, say then if I had been binging on crud. That is why the WoW is relevant and a sound piece of 'wisdom'. When you feel crappy, you are far less likely to grow spiritually, because you are so focused on feeling crappy. When you feel good and take care of the temple we've been given to house our spirits....then you can better focus on actively searching and following the will of the Lord.

It's smart for everyone and not just LDS people.

It's the nit-picking that annoys me. I just wonder why people don't make it a solitude journey of finding their answers, instead of sitting in SS squabbling over the fact that people shouldn't drink Pepsi!

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by AFDaw@Apr 18 2004, 10:24 PM

I think I missed something...where is it that "hot drinks" now means all caffeinated beverages?

What does "hot drinks' mean, then?

it means coffee and tea. You made it sound like there was some new statement made by the church or something. I was just asking if I missed something. My kids have been sick a lot lately and I've not been on the boards much. My question was honest and sincere.

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by AFDaw@Apr 18 2004, 10:35 PM

it means coffee and tea. You made it sound like there was some new statement made by the church or something. I was just asking if I missed something. My kids have been sick a lot lately and I've not been on the boards much. My question was honest and sincere.

So cola drinks are OK?

Originally posted by bizabra+Apr 19 2004, 08:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bizabra @ Apr 19 2004, 08:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--AFDaw@Apr 18 2004, 10:35 PM

it means coffee and tea.  You made it sound like there was some new statement made by the church or something.  I was just asking if I missed something.  My kids have been sick a lot lately and I've not been on the boards much.  My question was honest and sincere.

So cola drinks are OK?

The WoW was the minimum for the weak. No tea or coffee. Now, if someone wants to take it to the next level and include soft drinks, then that's ok. If someone likes their Coke and doesn't want to give it up, then that's ok too.