Hi, I want to get my baby a blessing but I have some questions

Junior

Hi, I have a baby who is 7 months old now, I want to give her a blessing, but I can't do it because I don't have the priesthood right now. I did have it and I have prayed for my daughter lot of times, but my wife just agreed that she can have a blessing. Can I choose what is said in the blessing, even though I can't do it? Also, can I hold the baby during the blessing? Can my wife be there even though she isn't a member? Can I select who I want to give my daughter the blessing? 

What is the overall significance of it? I know I had one as a baby and I want to do the best thing for my daughter which is why I want her to have a blessing.

I kind of know I should research this stuff but I am busy and I have heard some contrasting things from people I asked. So please help me :)

You wife agreed to have the blessing?  That's great news!

Overall, you work this out with your bishop/branch president. 

Can I choose what is said in the blessing, even though I can't do it?
- You can absolutely talk with whoever is giving the blessing about what you'd like to be said.  But the spirit has veto power.  You can't like write out a transcript or something.

Also, can I hold the baby during the blessing?
- I think you can probably work that out.  If not hold the baby, at least be holding the microphone, while the priesthood brethren form the circle.

Can my wife be there even though she isn't a member? Can I select who I want to give my daughter the blessing? 
- Yes, absolutely.  They might want to do the blessing in sacrament meeting.  Yes, you can ask someone to give the blessing.  A family member, the bishop, a close priesthood holder. 

What is the overall significance of it?
It's a "naming and blessing".  It gives the child the name it'll be known by, on the rolls of the church.  It gives a specific blessing as the spirit directs.  That's it.

24 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

You wife agreed to have the blessing?  That's great news!

We came to an agreement that she can take the baby for a baptism in her Methodist church and I can take the baby for a blessing. 

- You can absolutely talk with whoever is giving the blessing about what you'd like to be said.  But the spirit has veto power.  You can't like write out a transcript or something.

only because my wife won't want somethings to be said, even though she said the baby can have a blessing it's her baby too so I don't want there to be something she isn't comfortable with.

They might want to do the blessing in sacrament meeting.

oh cool I have never seen one before

It's a "naming and blessing".  It gives the child the name it'll be known by, on the rolls of the church.  It gives a specific blessing as the spirit directs.  That's it.

I want my baby to have that :) 

I mainly want to hold the baby because she is a screamer unless my wife and I are holding her

Edited by Junior

47 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

What is the overall significance of it?

NeuroTypical covered what a baby blessing is, but I'll add a little of what it is not, to help explaining things for your wife: it is not a baptism.  It's not erasing or adding anything to her as a person, nor committing her to anything.  It is a formal prayer on behalf of the child. 

17 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

NeuroTypical covered what a baby blessing is, but I'll add a little of what it is not, to help explaining things for your wife: it is not a baptism.  It's not erasing or adding anything to her as a person, nor committing her to anything.  It is a formal prayer on behalf of the child. 

Yes I know I mainly want my daughter to have it, so when she is older she will understand that my religion is important to me and I want it to be important to her. And I want her to have a blessing :) 

2 hours ago, Junior said:

Yes I know I mainly want my daughter to have it, so when she is older she will understand that my religion is important to me and I want it to be important to her. And I want her to have a blessing :) 

I just found that for my family (hubby is baptist, siblings-in-law are Methodist, many other Christian groups and non-religious), it was important to also explain what a baby blessing was not too-- because their default was to assume that it was a baptism or christening or something like that.

57 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I just found that for my family (hubby is baptist, siblings-in-law are Methodist, many other Christian groups and non-religious), it was important to also explain what a baby blessing was not too-- because their default was to assume that it was a baptism or christening or something like that.

Ah yeah I explained that to her, I think it is the reason she is okay with our baby having one. If it was like a baptism into the church then she wouldn't let the baby have a blessing