Import: Eunuchs

MADB

So I have a question. I have never been interested in men, or marriage, or children, and I want a good career. I resently told my bishop that I want to be celebate for the rest of my life, but he told me that is a bad decision, and said that making that decision would be sinning against god's commandment to "multiply". I think the spirit told me he was wrong, and I decided to search the bible. I found out about eunuchs, and I think there's loads of support for the idea that I don't have to be married to please god.

take for instance Isaiah 56:4-5

"To the eunuchs who keep my sabbaths, who choose what pleases and hold fast to my covenant- to them I will give to them a name within my temple and its walls a memorial name better than sons and daughters." (NIV translation)

Is being celebate an honorable life choice that is pleasing to god?

View the full article

• 4 years later...

I was definately in the same shoes as you after I got baptized in the church. I thought that celibate life was just as noble, if not more, than married life in the eyes of God. Thankfully though, through the Spirit of Revelation, I came to realize the error in my belief, that my belief of life long celibacy was not inline with Heavenly Father's will for my life. I found a great thread for you to check out:

http://www.lds.net/forums/scripture-study-forum/29659-matthew-19-12-a.html

Matt. 19: 12

12 "For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive."

If your decision is based on your desire to serve God, apparently, it is an acceptable choice; if it is done for selfish reasons (worldly wealth, not being "tied down") it is unacceptable.

if you have ssa it's considered honorable to live a celibate life (if you want to be in good standing with the church). i would assume it's also true for if you have no attraction. ppl with disabilities that can't have any other life are considered honorable good ppl for being celibate. i think it's a decision between the person and god.