Here Is A Good One

Guest Starsky

Guest Starsky

Files in Heaven

17-year-old Brian Moore had only a short time to write something for a class. The subject was what Heaven was like. It also was the last one he wrote.

Brian's parents had forgotten about the essay when a cousin found it while cleaning out the teenager's locker at Teary Valley High School. Brian had been dead only hours, but his parents desperately wanted every piece of his life near them-notes from classmates and teachers, his homework.

Only two months before, he had hand-written the essay about encountering Jesus in a file room full of cards detailing every moment of the teen's life. But it was only after Brian's death that Beth and Bruce Moore realized that their son had described his view of heaven. "It makes such an impact that people want to share it. You feel like you are there." Mr. Moore said.

Brian Moore died May 27, 1997, the day after Memorial Day. He was driving home from a friend's house when his car went off Bulen-Pierce Road in Pickaway County and struck a utility pole. He emerged from the wreck unharmed but stepped on a downed power line and was electrocuted.

The Moore's framed a copy of Brian's essay and hung it among the family portraits in the living room. "I think God used him to make a point. I think we were meant to find it and make something out of it, " Mrs. Moore said of the essay. She and her husband want to share their son's vision of life after death. "I'm happy for Brian. I know he's in heaven. I know I'll see him.

Brian's Essay: The Room...

In that place between wakefulness and dreams, I found myself in the room. There were no distinguishing features except for the one wall covered with small index card files. They were like the ones in libraries that list titles by author or subject in alphabetical order. But these files, which stretched from floor to ceiling and seemingly endless in either direction, had very different headings. As I drew near the wall of files, the first to catch my attention was one that read "Girls I have liked." I opened it and began flipping through the cards. I quickly shut it, shocked to realize that I recognized the names written on each one. And then without being told, I knew exactly where I was.

This lifeless room with its small files was a crude catalogue system for my life. Here were written the actions of my every moment, big and small, in a detail my memory couldn't match. A sense of wonder and curiosity, coupled with horror, stirred within me as I began randomly opening files and exploring their content. Some brought joy and sweet memories; others a sense of shame and regret so intense that I would look over my shoulder to see if anyone was watching.

A file named "Friends" was next to one marked "Friends I have betrayed." The titles ranged from the mundane to the outright weird. "Books I Have Read," "Lies I Have Told," "Comfort I have Given," "Jokes I Have Laughed at." Some were almost hilarious in their exactness: "Things I've yelled at my brothers." Others I couldn't laugh at: "Things I Have Done in My Anger", "Things I Have Muttered Under My Breath at My Parents." I never ceased to be surprised by the contents.

Often there were many more cards than I expected. Sometimes fewer than I hoped. I was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the life I had lived. Could it be possible that I had the time in my years to fill each of these thousands or even millions of cards? But each card confirmed this truth. Each was written in my own handwriting. Each signed with my signature.

When I pulled out the file marked "TV Shows I have watched," I realised the files grew to contain their contents. The cards were packed tightly, and yet after two or three yards, I hadn't found the end of the file. I shut it, shamed, not so much by the quality of shows but more by the vast time I knew that file represented.

When I came to a file marked "Lustful Thoughts," I felt a chill run through my body. I pulled the file out only an inch, not willing to test its size and drew out a card. I shuddered at its detailed content.

I felt sick to think that such a moment had been recorded. An almost animal rage broke on me. One thought dominated my mind: No one must ever see these cards! No one must ever see this room! I have to destroy them!" In insane frenzy I yanked the file out. Its size didn't matter now. I had to empty it and burn the cards. But as I took it at one end and began pounding it on the floor, I could not dislodge a single card. I became desperate and pulled out a card, only to find it as strong as steel when I tried to tear it

Defeated and utterly helpless, I returned the file to its slot. Leaning my forehead against the wall, I let out a long, self-pitying sigh.

And then I saw it.. The title bore "People I Have Shared the Gospel With." The handle was brighter than those around it, newer, almost unused. I pulled on its handle and a small box not more than three inches long fell into my hands. I could count the cards it contained on one hand.

And then the tears came. I began to weep. Sobs so deep that they hurt. They started in my stomach and shook through me. I fell on my knees and cried. I cried out of shame, from the overwhelming shame of it all. The rows of file shelves swirled in my tear-filled eyes. No one must ever, ever know of this room. I must lock it up and hide the key. But then as I pushed away the tears, I saw Him.

No, please not Him. Not here. Oh, anyone but Jesus. I watched helplessly as He began to open the files and read the cards. I couldn't bear to watch His response. And in the moments I could bring myself to look at His face, I saw a sorrow deeper than my own. He seemed to intuitively go to the worst boxes. Why did He have to read every one? Finally He turned and looked at me from across the room. He looked at me with pity in His eyes. But this was a pity that didn't anger me. I dropped my head, covered my face with my hands and began to cry again. He walked over and put His arm around me. He could have said so many things. But He didn't say a word. He just cried with me.

Then He got up and walked back to the wall of files. Starting at one end of the room, He took out a file and, one by one, began to sign His name over mine on each card. "No!" I shouted rushing to Him. All I could find to say was "No, no," as I pulled the card from Him. His name shouldn't be on these cards. But there it was, written in red so rich, so dark, so alive. The name of Jesus covered mine. It was written with His blood. He gently took the card back. He smiled a sad smile and began to sign the cards. I don't think I'll ever understand how He did it so quickly, but the next instant it seemed I heard Him close the last file and walk back to my side.

He placed His hand on my shoulder and said, "It is finished." I stood up, and He led me out of the room. There was no lock on its door. There were still cards to be written.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."-Phil. 4:13 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." My "People I shared the gospel with" file just got bigger, how about yours?

Guest TheProudDuck

Originally posted by Luzia@Apr 26 2004, 12:52 PM

hmmm... <_<

The writting itself is very inspiring.

:P

That's actually what made me wonder. It's way too good for a high school student to have written.

I mean, I couldn't have produced something like that on my best day in high school. And I like to think I was a halfway decent writer for a high school student.

Originally posted by TheProudDuck@Apr 26 2004, 11:01 AM

Your friendly neighborhood spoilsport, at your service:

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/room.htm

Nothing like a little fraud to drive home the gospel message.

So little Brian was a liar. He's not the only one. I googled it and in the first 4 links I checked the authors were Jonathan Harris, Kay Kim, Joshua Harris and Author Unknows (at last - an honest attribution). The various accounts were "...girls I have liked"; "...boys I have liked"; and ...people I have liked."

Sounds like someone is confused not only about their own identity, but also about their sexuality, to say nothing of whether or not honesty is a gospel principle.

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by TheProudDuck+Apr 26 2004, 02:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheProudDuck @ Apr 26 2004, 02:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Luzia@Apr 26 2004, 12:52 PM

hmmm...  <_<

That's actually what made me wonder. It's way too good for a high school student to have written.

I mean, I couldn't have produced something like that on my best day in high school. And I like to think I was a halfway decent writer for a high school student.

LOL, I was thinking just the opposite...I thought it was horribly written...of course I am an Eglish journalist major....LOL :D

Originally posted by Setheus@Apr 27 2004, 10:20 AM

you know that person who's jokes are never funny. And when they speak it drives you to kill. And they begin their name with M. <_<

And they throw around the title "prophet of God" as though there is no need for regard of its sacred calling.

I just found these descriptions by a different poster to be quite apropos on this board.

Nothing like a little fraud to drive home the gospel message....

So little Brian was a liar. He's not the only one.....

Sounds like someone is confused not only about their own identity, but also about their sexuality, to say nothing of whether or not honesty is a gospel principle.

...and then with Helen's comments I just couldn't help myself. Since I don't believe JS was a prophet of God I don't feel I was insulting that particular calling. I don't believe JS was totally honest in his dealings with his fellowman in spreading his gospel. Just my opinion.

M.

Guest TheProudDuck
Originally posted by Starsky+Apr 26 2004, 10:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Starsky @ Apr 26 2004, 10:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -TheProudDuck@Apr 26 2004, 02:05 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Luzia@Apr 26 2004, 12:52 PM

hmmm...  <_<

LOL, I was thinking just the opposite...I thought it was horribly written...of course I am an Eglish journalist major....LOL :D

Interesting that you would say that. Yes, it's sappy and emotionally manipulative and written with an informal, conversational tone, but its grammar and its flow are just too polished for high school work.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Apr 26 2004, 06:57 PM

To me it doesn't matter who wrote it just that it is written and IT IS INSPIREING!!!!!!!

Thank Strasky for sharing that story. :D

SF

I really hate it when people make up stuff so I can be inspired. I would rather be modestly impressed by the truth than sent into ectacy by a fiction.

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by TheProudDuck+Apr 27 2004, 01:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheProudDuck @ Apr 27 2004, 01:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Starsky@Apr 26 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by -TheProudDuck@Apr 26 2004, 02:05 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Luzia@Apr 26 2004, 12:52 PM

hmmm...  <_<

Interesting that you would say that. Yes, it's sappy and emotionally manipulative and written with an informal, conversational tone, but its grammar and its flow are just too polished for high school work.

:D:P Not in my opinion...

I do like the the insight that it contains though....

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Luzia+Apr 28 2004, 07:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Luzia @ Apr 28 2004, 07:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Starsky@Apr 28 2004, 12:07 AM

]

:D  :P Not in my opinion...

I do like the the insight that it contains though....

Exactly what I was talking about.

I wish I had that inspiration and imagination.

:D

Originally posted by Cal@Apr 27 2004, 02:35 PM

I really hate it when people make up stuff so I can be inspired. I would rather be modestly impressed by the truth than sent into ectacy by a fiction.

I have to say that I agree with Cal on this one. This story reads like something straight off the lips of Paul H. Dunn. On the surface it appears to be a tearjerker, but it is nothing more than a lie masquerading as truth for the purpose of emotional manipulation.

Originally posted by juliejalago+Apr 28 2004, 07:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (juliejalago @ Apr 28 2004, 07:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Apr 27 2004, 02:35 PM

I have to say that I agree with Cal on this one. This story reads like something straight off the lips of Paul H. Dunn. On the surface it appears to be a tearjerker, but it is nothing more than a lie masquerading as truth for the purpose of emotional manipulation.

Which lie, exactly, would that be?

Guest Starsky

I guess parables and fables and fairy tales that teach some kind of insightful experience...where the names could be change, the circumstances enhanced like hearing the characture of life in a way that will make it noticable and influencial.

Even sit-com can be valuable...it helps us see the humor in our everyday life.

I saw nothing wrong with Paul Dunn's stories...only his endorsing them as true. No one here has endorse this story as true or tried to convince anyone that it was...

I think the problem lays with those who would rather find fault than look for what is of value out of any given situation.

I find that this is the problem with those who have become disenchanted with the church....all they see and evaluate everything on is what they see wrong....

Well the best scripture I have found to answer there distructive perspective is this:

D&C 121: 17

17 But those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves.

My mother always said:....A lier will assume everyone else is one too and will be considered negative and suspicious. You can bet suspicious people are not good people.

An honest person will always assume everyone else is too...and be considered gullible. You can bet gullible people are good people.

Guest TheProudDuck

Starsky --

D&C 121: 17

17 But those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves

Interesting scripture. Compare with Galatians 2:11-14

11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.

14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

So Paul publicly accused Peter (a member of the original First Presidency, no less!) of "dissimulation" (a variety of dishonesty) and of not walking "uprightly according to the truth of the gospel." He "cried transgression," in other words. Was the apostle therefore a "servant of sin" and a "child of disobedience", for correcting Peter where he needed correcting?

Joseph Smith, in establishing the Church on the American frontier, had to deal with the distinctive frontier-American situation where everyone wanted to be the big cheese. The early Church sometimes seems to have been nothing but one big squabblefest. I think that D&C 121 has much that is universally applicable, but this particular passage was directed mainly towards Joseph Smith's excessively-critical contemporaries.

As someone mentioned very thoughtfully in another thread, one of the mechanisms by which the Lord keeps the brethren from leading the Church astray, is the exercised judgment of faithful, spiritually attuned members, who will refuse to follow a misguided leader off a cliff, into the Kool-Aid, or off on a cyanide-assisted comet chase.

It's not the story itself that was being offered as being true; it was obviously a piece of inspirational fiction, kind of like the "footsteps in the sand" fable. What was being offered as true was the idea that the passage was written by a saintly young man who died tragically shortly after writing it. It's as if people can't just let a good story stand on its own; they have to invent an even more inspirational backstory to give it more juice.

(No comments from the anti-Book of Mormon peanut gallery, please. :unsure: )

It's not the story itself that was being offered as being true; it was obviously a piece of inspirational fiction, kind of like the "footsteps in the sand" fable. What was being offered as true was the idea that the passage was written by a saintly young man who died tragically shortly after writing it. It's as if people can't just let a good story stand on its own; they have to invent an even more inspirational backstory to give it more juice.

Footsteps on the sand, helped me a lot during hard times and also a missionary friend I had.

But, yes, your final point was very clear and very good.

Guest Starsky

I don't know how the story would have made sense without giving the young man some background for identity. It was necessary to give a young age, parents for the source as they were who shared the story,.... and a name like Peter Rabbit....

So I don't get your point here at all.

BTW.....the point of the story....Christ takes our sins upon Himself... (just so everyone doesn't forget the most important thing about that story)