Take An American Civics Quiz! C'mon! I Did!

imported_Elphaba

I found a study, conducted by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI), that claims "that some of the most expensive universities, with the highest paid residents, are among the worst-performing in the country regarding the teaching of America’s history and institutions to their undergraduate students. These universities, which also receive some of the largest government subsidies, include the University of Pennsylvania, Cornell, Yale, Princeton, and Duke."

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Now, I have no idea if the ISI is a credible organization or not. But the real reason I wanted to post it's information is this entertaining multiple-choice-question American Civics Quiz it offers on its website. You can take it to determine how fluent you are in America's history and its institutions.

Frankly, when it came to the history questions, it was a smackdown for me. Plato, no problem. I tell you, I was flyin', and was I ready to gloat!

Then there started to appear, here and there, an economics question. I thought my guesses sounded fairly reasonable. Then suddenly, they were all economics questions.

So out of 60 questions, I missed nine because they were economics questions. Yikes! :blink:

I still ended up with an 80 percent, but please, I scored all of the other questions correctly, probably because they were mostly history questions! I think that deserves a twenty-point bonus, don‘t you?

Oh shoot. I forgot. Sigh . . .

Not many of you know me well, so let me explain. I am a feminist, have been for thirty years, and am proud of it.

Having said, that, (sigh), when you read the following, (I can't do this), especially those who DO know me, (this is THE hardest thing I've ever done) please try to keep your laughter down to normal decibal limits (that means YOU Iggy!). And also, please be kind.

One of the questions asked: "What year did women get the right to vote?" Well. :( Oh heck. I'll just say it.

I missed it! :blush: IGGY! I hear you laughing! I said BE KIND! :P

So, I guess I didn’t get every history question right. Never mind about the bonus.

Here is the Civics Quiz. Let us know how you did!

If you’re still interested, here is some more information from the site, plus the link:

Prestige Doesn’t Buy Knowledge

In contrast to the performance of students from high profile, elite schools, smaller regional institutions such as Concordia University in Nebraska and Marian College in Wisconsin scored among the highest for civic-knowledge gained (based on the differential between average scores of seniors and freshmen). Their presidents earn less than $167,000 a year. The top college for teaching America’s history and founding principles is a public, liberal arts college, Eastern Connecticut State University—reaffirming that prestige doesn’t buy knowledge.

At the bottom of the civic-knowledge gain rankings are Cornell, Yale, Duke and Princeton—four prestigious colleges that cost more than $30,000 per year. Their presidents earn at least $500,000 a year. Rhodes College (Memphis, Tennessee), whose student scores topped the rankings last year, ranks first again among the 18 colleges included in both the 2005 and 2006 studies.

Prestige Doesn't Buy Knowledge/ISI Report

Elphaba, who really does know when women got the right to vote!

One of the questions asked: "What year did women get the right to vote?" Well. :( Oh heck. I'll just say it.

I missed it! :blush: IGGY! I hear you laughing! I said BE KIND! :P

Elphaba, who really does know when women got the right to vote! Well - when did they?? Cause I don't know.

Why would I laugh at you for not knowing that?? :o I can barely remember when 18 year olds got to vote and I was eligible that year - but couldn't register because I hadn't been a resident where I was for long enough. I have to do the math to know the year - 1970/71ish?? I believe! In Washington State anyway. I rallied for that vote - the first and last time I was ever active politically. The next time I voted in a presidential election was when Perot ran, I voted AGAINST the little Tzar. I would have written in Winnie Pooh, just to NOT vote for Perot. Had he won, I was all prepared to move to Canada and totally give up my US Citizenship, I didn't care that my husband at the time wouldn't move with me, and actually thought I was insane. I haven't really paid that much attention to politics since then.

Why would I laugh at you for not knowing that?? :o I can barely remember when 18 year olds got to vote and I was eligible that year - but couldn't register because I hadn't been a resident where I was for long enough. I have to do the math to know the year - 1970/71ish?? I believe! In Washington State anyway. I rallied for that vote - the first and last time I was ever active politically. The next time I voted in a presidential election was when Perot ran, I voted AGAINST the little Tzar. I would have written in Winnie Pooh, just to NOT vote for Perot. Had he won, I was all prepared to move to Canada and totally give up my US Citizenship, I didn't care that my husband at the time wouldn't move with me, and actually thought I was insane. I haven't really paid that much attention to politics since then.

Well, I can't tell you. Because SOMEONE might take the test, so I can't give it away. Hint! Hint! :rolleyes:

Elphaba

Had he [Perot] won, I was all prepared to move to Canada and totally give up my US Citizenship, I didn't care that my husband at the time wouldn't move with me, and actually thought I was insane. I haven't really paid that much attention to politics since then.

I find that story very amusing.

Perot won 18.8% of the popular vote in 1992 and had no electoral votes.

I'm uhhhh ... not going to tell you guys what I got because I ... uh ... don't want anyone to feel bad. Yeah. That's it. I started the test at 4am and I think really well at that hour. I had an unfair advantage.

She either Aced it or failed it - C'mon Girl, tell.

I refuse to take it,'cause I really hate setting myself up for failure.

Im australian.

I went to middle school in america however, and had to do an american history class. It is the only class i have ever failed in my life. I didnt even know the names of all the states, where they were, i didnt know the difference between the civil and revolutionary wars, i didnt know who wrote the constitution and had never heard of the bill of rights. Learnt alot, but now i'm back in australia its all pretty useless really. I bet if i gave you guys a test on asutralian history you would all fail miserably.

Im australian.

I went to middle school in america however, and had to do an american history class. It is the only class i have ever failed in my life. I didnt even know the names of all the states, where they were, i didnt know the difference between the civil and revolutionary wars, i didnt know who wrote the constitution and had never heard of the bill of rights. Learnt alot, but now i'm back in australia its all pretty useless really. I bet if i gave you guys a test on asutralian history you would all fail miserably.

Hi bunnzy,

You're absoluely right. I doubt I'd get one question right. Good point!

Elphaba