Holiday Blues

Khamette

Anyone else get crippling depression around this time of year? For me it usually starts after Halloween and doesn't end until after the New Year. I'm not saying that I do not like the holidays and what they represent, but because what the world has made it. I'm not willing to go into debt for a holiday and I don't like the constant discussions revolving around how much money others are spending or what they are buying. Holidays these days are so commercialized that the true meaning is completely lost.

Over the last few years as our children have grown, we've been moving away from the norm of Christmas. We've stopped buying gifts and focused on being together as a family. The next obvious step would be to help others during this season. Isn't that what Christ would do?

I didn't come here to preach. I just wanted to know if others were in the same mind as myself. I know we can't change the world ourselves but sometimes I wish it would come to its senses.

Hi Khamette,

You're in good company. I know someone who fights hard against the crippling aspects of her depression. There are a lot of causes for 'winter blues' of varying severity. Have you considered what might be causing your depression? If it's a biological cause such as Seasonal Affective Disorder - there are things you can do for yourself. Lots of people take issue with the commercialized secularization of the holidays - but they're not 'crippled with depression' by it.

My friend got a light box, and reports doing much better just sitting in front of it for 15 min every morning.

LM

I don't get depressed any more. I have taken this time of year and changed the way we do things. My wife and kids along with me put a box together filled with everything you can think of. Like toothpaste,toilet paper, canned goods and call the missionaries to see if someone they are visting can use the items. A needy family or someone that is shut in. Makes us all feel better about the season of giving.2 cents.

Anyone else get crippling depression around this time of year? For me it usually starts after Halloween and doesn't end until after the New Year. I'm not saying that I do not like the holidays and what they represent, but because what the world has made it. I'm not willing to go into debt for a holiday and I don't like the constant discussions revolving around how much money others are spending or what they are buying. Holidays these days are so commercialized that the true meaning is completely lost.

Over the last few years as our children have grown, we've been moving away from the norm of Christmas. We've stopped buying gifts and focused on being together as a family. The next obvious step would be to help others during this season. Isn't that what Christ would do?

I didn't come here to preach. I just wanted to know if others were in the same mind as myself. I know we can't change the world ourselves but sometimes I wish it would come to its senses.

Perhaps I can help: This year why not consider giving a gift to Christ?

The Traveler

Perhaps I can help: This year why not consider giving a gift to Christ?

The Traveler

we aren't buying any presents for people this year, instead we are donating the majority of what we would spend to a charity we support and sending our friends thank you notes for allowing us to donate for them. It feels to me more of what the true spirit of christmas is. If you're disillusioned with what you see around you, give this a try!!! :D

My husband said the best Christmas he ever had was when his family put notes on the tree for each other, with promises to do a chore for each other, play their favorite game, etc. I would like to do something like that in addition to the toys we're buying for the kids. We're not going overboard with the toys and we will be buying them some clothes too because they need them. I confess - It's fun to unwrap stuff! :D I wouldn't care if my husband wrapped an I love you note in a box, I would still love it. People shouldn't go into debt for Christmas though.

I'm going to record myself reading "Superfudge" for my sister. She used to make me read that to her at night as she was falling asleep. :D When I was a newlywed, she used to come over and ask to watch Kindergarten Cop and then fall asleep to that. I want to give both of those to her and call it her "Lullaby Package". I keep telling my mom I want an advent calendar just like hers. It was one of my favorite things about Christmas when I was growing up. I like gifts that take some thought and effort or that have sentimental value. My grandma gave me The Book of Mormon that my aunt used on her mission not too long after she passed away. That meant a lot to me.

You and your family can make Christmas any way you want it to me. I know a family that works in a soup kitchen every Christmas. Very cool. There are so many things you can do.

Hi Khamette,

You're in good company. I know someone who fights hard against the crippling aspects of her depression. There are a lot of causes for 'winter blues' of varying severity. Have you considered what might be causing your depression? If it's a biological cause such as Seasonal Affective Disorder - there are things you can do for yourself. Lots of people take issue with the commercialized secularization of the holidays - but they're not 'crippled with depression' by it.

My friend got a light box, and reports doing much better just sitting in front of it for 15 min every morning.

LM

Unhappy and traumatic experiences as a child growing up I know has contributed greatly with the depression. I've been to dr's and psychologists but nothing much has changed with how I feel about this time of year. Though these are my favorite seasons (I'd move farther north if it was possible) I feel they would be even better without worrying about holidays. I love my Lord and Savior, I'm just not up to celebrating anything with anyone. It's difficult with children because I must put on a false face to make it enjoyable for them. At these times, I find myself isolating and hoping it will all be over soon.