Current Events and Whitewater Rafting

Traveler

About 45 years ago I became involved in whitewater rafting.  The reason is that I believed it to be the best family activity that I had ever encounter.  I believed that there are many lessons learned on the river that have lifelong applications.  One such application is learning how to read a river.  It is not the surface that needs to be read but what is somewhat hidden deep below the surface.  Part of this understanding has to do with how much water if flowing – the amount of water moving can be peaceful when the river is wide but the personality of the river changes drastically when the river channel narrows or during spring runoff.  This is a sizing problem – what seems harmless and peaceful for a few or low water flow changes when flow is up ticked; the river many can be treacherous, especially when deep down things are somewhat “broken” up.   

I do not believe that the current river of life is being read very well – especially by those in the political and media (both informative and entertainment) arena.  Religious prophesy (both ancient in many religions and modern or LDS prophesy) supports strongly what is currently being labeled as family values and connections to healthy living.  I believe that deep down and hidden in society things are somewhat broken up and channels for flow are narrowing.   Allow me two social issues that are broken.

1   debt – especially compound interest debt.  In Islam compound interest debt is the first sign of the great Satan.  It is the excuse of Islamic terrorism (including Bin Laden and his letter to America) and the spark in the tinder of the current war in Israel.  The sins of wealth flow in most all religions.  Jesus taught about the corruption of wealth acquired from what anciently was known as or called “filthy lucre.   Compound banking (I and Hugh Nibley) believe to be one source of filthy lucre.

2  Another source of filthy lucre is human trafficking that includes slavery and addictions (including LGBTQ+).  Sadly, it would seem that religious terrorists ignore this element and deep-down things that are broken up.   Of cource we can easly included things like rape and violence and pleasure addictions (both sexual, physical and even what I would call spiritual addictions).   I should not have to explain the evil involved in human trafficking and addictions but many think that some moderation is okay.  Things like caffeine drinks, sugar, overeating and unhealthy sedate lifestyles (laziness or slothfulness – that many confuse thinking they are being relaxed or patient).  Granted such minor addictions are not as corrupt as others – but like a river the things we ignore, do not notice, or things for which we do not prepare are our greatest threats.

I have highlighted these two.  If anyone wants to discuss these or others in greater detail – I would be interested in the application of ideas to these last days and the division between Zion and Babylon.  It is my believe that the righteous (those that make and keep covenants with G-d) have no reason to fear.  I believe that a great reason to fear is for those that believe in G-d but make some excuse for not being loyal to G-d’s covenants and wisdom.  Side note  -  I do not believe one can connect to G-d's wisdom with out covenants nor do I believe that one is loyal to G-d's covenants has any problem with (including the understanding of) G-d's wisdom.

The Traveler

On 11/18/2023 at 2:37 AM, Traveler said:

About 45 years ago I became involved in whitewater rafting.  The reason is that I believed it to be the best family activity that I had ever encounter.

@Travelerif you ever get to an age where it becomes prudent to gradually transfer away from white-water rafting to something a little gentler and safer, but you still want the fun of a river, I recommend the Henley on the Todd Regatta, held in a southern part of our District. Rather than being a white water event its a dry water event. 

Join us for the unique Henley on Todd Regatta, the world's only dry river boating event in Alice Springs, Australia! Engage in Flintstone-style 'boat' races on the sandy Todd River bed, and participate in a plethora of activities suitable for all ages.

https://www.henleyontodd.com.au/

The people of Alice Springs say that you're not considered to be a local until you've seen water flowing 3 times in the Todd River. Roughly, that equates to about 10 years. 

On 11/19/2023 at 7:02 PM, askandanswer said:

@Travelerif you ever get to an age where it becomes prudent to gradually transfer away from white-water rafting to something a little gentler and safer, but you still want the fun of a river, I recommend the Henley on the Todd Regatta, held in a southern part of our District. Rather than being a white water event its a dry water event. 

Join us for the unique Henley on Todd Regatta, the world's only dry river boating event in Alice Springs, Australia! Engage in Flintstone-style 'boat' races on the sandy Todd River bed, and participate in a plethora of activities suitable for all ages.

https://www.henleyontodd.com.au/

The people of Alice Springs say that you're not considered to be a local until you've seen water flowing 3 times in the Todd River. Roughly, that equates to about 10 years. 

I will be traveling to Australia next year but will not be visiting Alice Springs - maybe another time.  It does look a little amateurish but fun.  The family I grew up in has always been driven by at least some level of risk.  I have a brother that has built a 3-man land yacht.  Not so much for competition but for fun.  Here in Utah, we have old lake beds (like the Bonneville Salt Flats) – not just little dry creaks.   A couple of years ago they tumbled their yacht going about 80 mph.  Generally, white water rafting is safter.  I avoid the class 4 hydraulics rivers like the Colorado and Cataract Canyon (my rafts are smaller).   Two of my brothers have equipment for the heave stuff.  I run mostly class 3 hydraulics with more family (over 12) orientated intent.  We have expedited with as many as 60 – 70.  My kids run most of the show now.

The Traveler