Book of Mormon Reading Group: 20 Nov - 26 Nov 2023 (Alma 52 - Helaman 1)

zil2

1 hour ago, zil2 said:

@Jamie123, it seems like it's been a while since we heard from you.  How are you doing with your reading?  A lot of people strongly dislike the war chapters, others rush through them like a novel.  Just checking in to make sure all is well.

Thanks Zil - I've been lagging for a few days but I've almost caught up again now. Yes, these chapters are a bit dry in places. I can imagine many people reading them in the same spirit that they slogged through the Wars of the Roses at school. If you want something even dryer though, try 1 Maccabees. (I don't know about 2 Maccabees - I never managed to finish 1 Maccabees!)

Edited by Jamie123

Alma 63

v2: "... and also did his brother."  I have to assume this is Corianton - a small blurb, but it should help give hope that even serious sins won't keep you from progressing if you repent and forsake them.

v4 & 9: As I recall, the folks who traveled north by foot didn't go so far that they lost contact with the folks at Zarahemla.

v5: I wonder if these people went far enough that they were beyond the final battle between the Lamanites and Nephites and if, wherever they went, they then became the last remaining descendants of the Nephites (escaping destruction by the Lamanites).  I can't remember these folks being included in anything further just that the folks at Zarahemla lose contact with these folk.  I'll have to pay more attention as we read - I'm finding this fast schedule makes it easier for me to keep the whole story in my head. :)

v1, 10+: Helaman (the son) must have been quite young when his father died, otherwise why give the records to Shiblon first?

Helaman 1

v2: The system of judges as described back whenever certainly didn't require judges to be selected from within family lines, and yet the Nephites don't seem able to give up this practice of descendants inheriting judgeships....  Perhaps the assumption was that the father tutored his sons in what was required, thus qualifying them for the job...

v9: @Jamie123, remember the name Kishkumen.  He's one of the main characters involved in a "secret combination" that brings about the destruction of the Nephites (eventually), and that idea of secret combinations will be a recurring theme throughout the remainder of the Book of Mormon.

v33: Love your enemies.  Forgive 70x7.

On 11/23/2023 at 5:26 AM, Jamie123 said:

It's odd that Helaman should call them "little sons" 

I was going over languages with my family over the weekend (It's something we do.  All my kids are into learning foreign languages).  I realized something about the term "little sons."

In many languages, there is a difference between using the word "little" vs. using a diminutive form of a word.  And very often, a "little" something isn't necessarily meant to say the noun is literally small, but rather to convey a term of endearment.

Example in Spanish: 

Grandma = Abuela
Dear/sweet Grandma = Abuelita (Literally: "little grandmother")

Even in English, parents refer to their adult children as "my babies" as a term of endearment.

I'm wondering if such a term was used by Helaman to refer to his "sons".

Edited by Carborendum

On 11/26/2023 at 7:18 PM, zil2 said:

v9: @Jamie123, remember the name Kishkumen.  He's one of the main characters involved in a "secret combination" that brings about the destruction of the Nephites (eventually), and that idea of secret combinations will be a recurring theme throughout the remainder of the Book of Mormon.

Would it be correct to read "combination" as "conspiracy"?

("Secret combination" sounds like something you use to unlock your bicycle.)

16 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

Whatever helps you make sense of it works, IMO.  It's a group of people "combining" to do bad things, so "conspiracy" is probably close.  Modern day organized crime organizations, mobs, mafias, gangs, cartels would likely all be similar, if not identical.  Another way to look at it is that these people are making the same agreement Cain first made with Satan - to murder and get gain, and keep their intents and identities secret.

14 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

COMBINATION: a joining or merging of different parts or qualities in which the component elements are individually distinct.

CONSPIRACY: plotting of evil, unlawful design; a combination of persons for an evil purpose.

Sounds like a conspiracy is just the evil/secret combination.