Revelation of John and the Number of the Beast

Carborendum

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

-- Rev 13:18

The word "count" is often translated as "calculate."  And I believe that to be a more appropriate translation into modern English.
                     (Etymology: "Count" originally meant "calculate" or "compute").  

"Number of a man" often referred to the concept that the gematriot of a man's name was his number.

The number is actually written as 666.  It is not just any combination of various letters that total 666, but specifically three digits:

χ=600   ξ=60   ς=6.

So, what is that supposed to mean?  Apparently the beast's name has the gematriot of 666.  This is the popular theory.

Many people point out that when you write 666 in Hebrew, the letters clearly write out "Emperor Nero."  Not exactly.

So goes the theory: If you take the Greek version of his name (John's original manuscript is generally considered to be the Greek) and then transliterate (NRON QSRN) into Hebrew, the numerical value is 666.  But if you take the Latin version of his name (he was Roman, after all) and transliterate (Nero Caesar) into Hebrew, the gematriot = 616.  Interesting enough, some older Latin versions of the Bible indicate that the number of the Beast is 616.  There goes the translational Integrity of various versions of the Bible.

I've tried to follow the gematria through these translations and I can't figure out how they did it.  Some of the letters they use to make these sounds is beyond my understanding.  If I, were to transliterate, I'd get a very different number.  But I believe it is because it is a proper noun.  And a proper noun is spelled slightly differently in different languages even if you're using the same alphabet.  That becomes compounded when you translate between several different alphabets. 

Since I don't know the cultural adaptations of said name into the various languages, I'll just go along with it.

If we then believe that it is an accurate interpretation, the Beast = Nero.  So, what does that mean for us today?  I'd consider it a type and shadow.  Nero was the Type that Foreshadows a similar character in the Latter-days.  So, theoretically, if we study what Nero did, we'll have some idea of what the Beast will do in the coming years.  And if we see someone doing the various things that Nero did, that man is probably the beast foretold by John.

Is this likely?  Well, to the ancients, the gematria would be very clear.  So clear, in fact, that they felt it appropriate to change the number because this specific gematriot would have been different in a different language.

Edited by Carborendum

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

If we then believe that it is an accurate interpretation, the Beast = Nero.  So, what does that mean for us today?  I'd consider it a type and shadow.  Nero was the Type that Foreshadows a similar character in the Latter-days.  So, theoretically, if we study what Nero did, we'll have some idea of what the Beast will do in the coming years.  And if we see someone doing the various things that Nero did, that man is probably the beast foretold by John.

This seems reasonable.  I'm now suspicious of all fiddle players! ;)

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I mentioned that in my post and why that was.

So you did.

When I said I don't care apparently I really meant it. :D

I hadn't, clearly, read your post.

Ah well. The embarrassments never end.