Spiritual thought for the day from the world of particle physics

Vort

At first one may wonder why this deeply scientific discussion is taking place in the LDS Gospel Discussion part of the forum.  I like the idea of tying religious and scientific principles together.   We are living in an age where we are learning that what we thought we knew is more ambiguous than detailed – for both science and religion.  Neutrinos are problematic both to Einstein physics and quantum physics.  @NeuroTypical's  link to neutrinos faster than light has a caveat in that the best way (only known way) to quantify the existent characteristics of neutrinos is in large bodies of isolated water (ice).  And in water neutrinos travel faster than photons (light) despite the quantum fact that neutrinos must possess mass but in such small quantity that neutrino quantum mass is off the charts in trying to address the quantum mass of any other quantum particle with mass (including electrons that are also very fast).

Another problem with neutrinos is that there are 3 types of neutrinos or phases of neutrinos that are totally dependent on time.  Meaning that a single neutrino cycles through the types over time that does not slow down (change) dependent on the speed of the neutrino which is at maximum or the speed of light.  And yet neutrinos do not fit very nicely within special relativity in that a single neutrino can vary to carry little to enormous amounts of energy – something other quantum particles do not seem to what to try.  This is odd because energy and matter are linked with the speed of light under special relativity?

Some have suggested that neutrinos are a type of dark matter.  The problem here is that dark matter does not have the characteristics of moving through the universe at the speed of light and the only time neutrinos are not in motion is when bonded (by the weak force) to atomic particles and then their effect in relationship to other fermion particles is negligible. A side note here – all other fermion particles gain their mass through interactions with the Higgs boson but not neutrinos?

From our LDS religious side – Joseph Smith suggested that spirit is a type of refined matter.  Though this may be useful information it is also immensely ambitious and difficult to quantify.  On a number of occasions, I have attempted to describe some of my own theories to better link our understandings of our LDS religious revelations and what we think we understand through modern science.  But this forum does not seem to have any interest (not intended to be critical – we all have our unique interests).  However, I think that there are two concepts in science that are not very relevant and realistic to reality.  The two concepts are infinite and zero.  We use these terms in religion as well and I think such use in religion is as misguided (or more so) as they are in science. 

Thus, I believe that what we think we know in both science and religious is quite ambitious and we do not want to admit that we do not know what we do not understand.  I will conclude my post now with the thoughts provided.

The Traveler