Come, Follow Me: Book of Mormon 2024 (January)

zil2

What do you think, everyone?  Should we repeat the Book of Mormon group reading and discussion, but at a slower pace, following the Come, Follow Me schedule?  Participation would be easier this year, since everyone is reading it for Sunday School (right?  you're reading it?  yes?). :D  @Jamie123 could be a Book of Mormon pro by the end of the year! ;) His neighbors will be wondering what that strange flag is that he's flying...

41KWcRhSDpL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp

(Just teasing, Jamie. No harm meant.)

Edited by zil2

On 1/8/2024 at 4:22 PM, zil2 said:

What do you think, everyone?  Should we repeat the Book of Mormon group reading and discussion, but at a slower pace, following the Come, Follow Me schedule?  Participation would be easier this year, since everyone is reading it for Sunday School (right?  you're reading it?  yes?). :D  @Jamie123 could be a Book of Mormon pro by the end of the year! ;) His neighbors will be wondering what that strange flag is that he's flying...

41KWcRhSDpL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp

(Just teasing, Jamie. No harm meant.)

Yes Zil that sounds good. There is a lot in the Book of Bormon, and my head is still spinning with a lot of it. It would be good to go back to the beginning again.

2 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

Yes Zil that sounds good. There is a lot in the Book of Bormon, and my head is still spinning with a lot of it. It would be good to go back to the beginning again.

:) Well, it may just be me and you, but the link above takes you to the Come, Follow Me manual, which is divided out into each week of the year.  This week's reading is 1 Nephi 1-5.  Last week was the introductory material.  I'm finding that because of how thorough I was in our previous reading, I don't have many new thoughts (sometimes none), but I'm happy to share them, and if you have questions or thoughts or just want to discuss, I'm game.  Let's start here and make new threads, perhaps monthly.

• zil2 changed the title to Come, Follow Me: Book of Mormon 2024 (January)

Changed the thread title, thinking we can make new threads for each month.  Who knows, maybe some others will join in.

Thoughts from the introductory material:

Title Page

The book itself is not magic, nor are its contents.  Yet there are many prophetic promises tied to studying it and by living by what it teaches.  During our last September-December study of the Book of Mormon, I've felt the Spirit come as I study - you might say, I've felt the "spirit of the Book of Mormon", but I don't really think there is such a thing.  The Holy Ghost witnesses of truth, and the Book of Mormon teaches truth.  These thoughts tell me that all those prophetic promises are tied to (1) receiving the witness of the Holy Ghost, and (2) living according to the things taught in the book - study will only help if that study then alters your behavior.

The BofM is written for all  people, by commandment of God, as guided by the Spirit.  The "life" of this book has been in God's hands from day one.  Perhaps that's true of all scripture, but it's quite evident in this book.

Things we're meant to learn:

1. The great things God has done for our ancestors (I might say all people of the past)

2. The covenants of the Lord (that the remnants of the house of Israel are not cast off forever)

3. That Jesus is the Christ, and that he manifests himself to all nations.

God works through mortals.  Don't fault His work just because it was processed or executed by a mortal.

Introduction

Joseph Smith's comment about the Book of Mormon and getting nearer to God emphasizes that we must use it to alter our behavior - one cannot get nearer to a thing by standing still - we must act.

Testimony of the Three Witnesses

These witnesses heard the voice of God and an angel showed them the plates (in enough detail to see characters on the plates).  They were commanded to bear record.  I think that commandment extends generally to all of us - to bear witness of those things we have learned are true.

Testimony of the Eight Witnesses

These are the ones to whom Joseph Smith showed the plates.

I suspect that back then, a person's word, published in this manner, carried more weight than it would today (though I could be wrong).

Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith

I wonder about the mechanics of Moroni's appearance (I know, more important things, but I wonder).  Was he there, or was it a projection or transmission or something?  If he was there, why choose to seem to be standing in the air?  As evidence that he wasn't a mortal?  Was he standing on anything, or are resurrected beings able to position themselves wherever they wish without need for any support other than their own will?

Why was the conduit visible on departure, but not on arrival?  Perhaps this reveals something about the nature of this sort of travel.  Perhaps the conduit looks different at the two ends.  Perhaps it has something to do with the timing. :)

The knee-jerk reaction to heavenly beings seems to be fear.  Messengers from God call us by name (is this always true?).  I wonder if they always give their name.  Conversation with heavenly messengers can include some sort of direct-to-the-mind content (the place where the plates were).  Resurrected beings appear to have perfect memory (makes sense; Moroni repeating his message precisely).  God teaches through repetition.  (Pay attention to things that repeat throughout scripture.)  It would seem that "generation" is sometimes synonymous with "dispensation".  Blessings and duties to God require a pure heart - no ulterior or even additional motives.  Time is still required when dealing with heavenly messengers.

I wonder what heavenly guidance Joseph Smith, Sr. had, to be so certain of the veracity of Joseph, Jr.'s account.

Sometimes, the Lord gives you 4 years to prepare for an assignment.  Don't be careless with sacred things.

Brief Explanation about the Book of Mormon

My understanding is that our Book of Mormon was translated from Nephi's small plates (through the Words of Mormon) and Mormon's abridgement of the large plates (Mosiah through 4 Nephi), plus Mormon's own history, Moroni's additions to that (book of Mormon), Moroni's abridgement of the Jaredite plates (Ether), and Moroni's own additions (Moroni).  See here for further thoughts on plates and translation:

My thinking of Mormon's compilation and abridgement is that it went like this:

1. Mormon abridges the large plates from Lehi to Omni (Lehi is possibly Lehi's own plates or Nephi's abridgement of Lehi's record (see 1 Nephi 1:17)).

2. Mormon searches for the small plates (probably because of what he'd read about them and promptings of the Spirit) and keeps them.  Possibly, he writes Words of Mormon on the small plates at this point (Words of Mormon make it unclear to me whether it's before or after he abridges the rest of the large plates).

3. Mormon abridges the large plates from Mosiah to 4 Nephi.

4. Mormon writes his own history (part of Mormon).

5. Possibly, Mormon adds Words of Mormon to the small plates and puts said small plates in with his abridgement.  Mormon gives his plates, the Jaredite plates, and the small plates to Moroni.

6. Moroni finishes his father's book (Mormon).

7. Moroni abridges part of the book of Ether (24 plates).

• Ether 4- it seems these plates also held the writings of the brother of Jared, from when he came down from seeing the Lord in the mount.  (It's unclear to me if that's Ether's abridgement or the brother of Jared directly.)
  • Whatever the case, Moroni sealed up what the brother of Jared wrote, so it seems we don't have that.  I seen things that say these writings are part of the sealed portion of the plates Joseph Smith had.
  • From Ether 1, these 24 plates are the Book of Ether, but they contain history all the way back to Adam and writings of the brother of Jared, so I have to assume all that is Ether's abridgement of other Jaredite records.  Where those original records might be is beyond me.  I don't know that we've ever been taught anything about them.

8. Moroni writes the book of Moroni.

9. I would assume that the book of Ether is part of the sealed portion of the plates Joseph Smith had, otherwise, Moroni would have had to hide those separately after abridging.  So Joseph had, small plates + Mormon's plates + Ether's plates?  I'm sure we learn this stuff in history, but middle school and high school convinced me to avoid history like the plague, and I'm still recovering...

The end of my thoughts on the introductory materials.

(I've never much been interested in all this "which plates were which" stuff - I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon as the word of God, so that part didn't ever seem terribly important to me, but for some reason, on this reading, I decided to dig a little deeper.)

My family was wondering if there was any significance to the total number being 12.

(1) Joseph Smith

(3) Witnesses

(8) Witnesses

(12) Total

It was almost as if the first quorum of the 12 were being formed.  But too many of the 8 went astray before the priesthood restoration.  Makes one wonder what they gave up.

Thoughts on 1 Nephi 1-5 (not presented last time, as far as I can recall - certainly, not in my journal from last time):

Chapter 1

v17: Nephi notes that he abridges his father's record.  I assumed he did this on the large plates, but I suppose part of what we read on the small plates is an abridgement of Lehi's record.  Abridging seems to be a very common thing not only among the Nephites but also the Jaredites...

(Notes written with KWZ El Dorado (link for Jamie :D ) are not exactly easy on the eyes.)

Chapter 2

v2: The Lord may ask you to give up your familiar, comfortable, secure life and go into the unknown (aka wilderness). This is almost guaranteed to require sacrifice (v4). Do it.  The Lord leads us to the best things. Trust that!

v11: Laman and Lemuel are like Lot's wife, longing for what they left.  When the Lord calls you into the "wilderness", long for what's ahead, not what you leave behind.

Chapter 3

v8 React in ways that cause others to be glad.

v18: If you ignore the Lord's warnings, don't be surprised or upset when you suffer the things he warned you to avoid.

v19-20: Focus on the future and promised blessings (and what's needed to make that future a reality).

Chapter 4

v1-3:Know your scriptures.  They can build faith and encourage you in hard times.

v10-18: It's OK to double check that you heard right.  It's OK to reason through what God asks you to do, to come to understanding.  And you can do those things in faith, trusting God, with the intent to obey (as opposed to with doubt or skepticism).

v15: Having the scriptures does us no good unless we study them and adjust our behavior accordingly.

Chapter 5

v5: This is faith: to speak and act as if a promised blessing is already a reality.

v8: Sariah believed after.  Lehi and Nephi believed before.  Laman and Lemuel refused to believe.  Try to be like Lehi and Nephi.  If you can't be, be like Sariah.  Don't be like Laman and Lemuel.  (Meanwhile, poor Sam, lost in the middle, rarely mentioned.  Whenever he believed, he did believe.)

v9: This was no speedy "thanks for the help" prayer.  Burnt offerings would have required quite a lot of time.  Only after this did they enjoy the fruits of their labors (studying the plates).  That's some serious delayed gratification.  Lesson: Give sincere and proper thanks first.  Use and enjoy second.  I think of things like tithing, fasting, service, etc.  Do we do those later, after we've done things life requires or things we want?  Do we put them off until it's convenient?  Or do we do those first, and fit the rest in second?

Verse 18 is interesting.  The brass plates were to go to all of Lehi's seed.  Perhaps once said descendants fell into apostasy, this promise was "put on hold" until such time as his seed would be worthy and receive the record.  I can only assume that eventually this will happen.  I suppose one could argue that the Bible is a near equivalent, but probably not near enough.

v20-22: Sometimes it's good to reflect on your spiritual status, either for encouragement or for correction.

1 Nephi 6

This chapter is a short lesson on what's most important, and on separating what's important to you (and perhaps some people around you) vs. what's important to the entire human family.

• Nephi's genealogy is important to him and his family; kept, but elsewhere.
  • Family history (not the same thing), or the life of a previous prophet, also important, but not the most important.
  • Most important (and relevant to the whole human family): the things of God, persuading people to come unto God and be saved.
  • Utterly unimportant: things which are pleasing to the world - leave them out.

Teach your children what's important.

1 Nephi 7

Clearly the Lord isn't always concerned with efficiency, otherwise, he would have sent them to Jerusalem once.  This may be a line-upon-line example - the Lord telling them what they need and seeing whether they obey before telling them the next.  It also wouldn't surprise me if Lehi had already considered and prayed about these things before receiving guidance.

v4-5: Be the kind of person who recognizes a call from the Lord and responds positively - even if it sounds far-fetched.

v6: I doubt the make-up (number and gender of children) of Ishmael's family was an accident. :)

v10+: One of the goals of the Book of Mormon is to show "what great things the Lord hath done for [our] fathers".  Therefore, it's important to remember these things.  Therefore, it's important to record and pass on this knowledge (not just prophets in scripture, but also family history).

1 Nephi 8

This chapter is so familiar that it can be hard to take time and really think about it.

v3-4: Ishmael and his family joined us in the previous chapter.  Yet as far as we can tell, Lehi only related this vision to his immediate family.  To me, that suggests that Lehi felt this vision related to his stewardship as father rather than as a prophet or leader of this group of people.  And that might suggest something to the parents out there. (I could be wrong, Ishmael and his family may have been present to hear about the vision - it's pretty common for them only to be mentioned by name when they play a specific role in events.  Still, this has the feel of Lehi relating it to his immediate family.)

v5-10: Be careful who you follow and where you follow them.  Seek the Lord's guidance early - as soon as it starts to seem dark and dreary - be aware of whether things are getting dark or dreary. :)

v11: When you learn about something desirable (in a positive way), don't waste time - pursue it.

v14-16: When you're not sure where to go / what to do, know who you can trust, so that when they "beckon" you, you know whether to heed their counsel.

v20: A strait and narrow path is also an efficient and clear path, not leaving room to meander or dawdle, thus making it easier to continue and reach the goal, and harder to wander off.

v24-26: Lehi doesn't even notice the great and spacious building with its mocking crowds until he sees others paying attention to it.  Be like Lehi - don't pay them any mind.  (Or at least, know that when you do notice them, they aren't worth your attention.)

v29 & 36: I wonder what details we don't have.

1 Nephi 9

Nephi didn't know why he was making plates.  From that perspective, the lesson is obvious: even if the Lord doesn't explain his reasons, even if the task seems redundant, do what the Lord commands.  (Nephi did have some hints though: "wise purpose" and "he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works".)

We know why he made those plates (to cover for the lost 116 pages).  And from this, we ought also to learn to trust God's omniscience and power; to know that he's prepared (possibly centuries ago) ways for us to accomplish what he commands; and to trust that if we screw up, he's got it covered.

v3-4: In our own records, some things are more important to record than others.  Make sure you're documenting the sacred and important things (not just the mundane).

1 Nephi 10

v1: Takes us back to my speculation on 1 Nephi 1:17, but suggests that the first 9 chapters (or 2-9 anyway) were abridged from Lehi's record - maybe...  (Ah, but v15 also indicates more of Lehi's words were written on the large plates - so, perhaps more detailed abridgement there, shorter here?)

v4-6: Reads to me like this is a new idea to Nephi (e.g. "this redeemer").  If so, that really suggests that the Jews / Israel had really quashed this teaching repeatedly (since, per v5, a great number of prophets had testified of these things).

v17-19: This section seems to me the most important of the chapter, emphasizing:

• hearing the words of the prophet
  • receiving the witness of the Holy Ghost
  • having faith in Christ
  • desiring a personal witness by the power of the Holy Ghost (recognizing - aka having faith - that this is a "gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him")
  • faith in the Lord's consistency (same yesterday, today, and forever) and promises

And chapter 11+ demonstrates that acting on the above can get you the greater witness that you desire.

v20-22: Don't seek to do wickedly.

1 Nephi 11

[Last time I read this chapter, Klaw was "making adorable sleeping-stretching squeaky noises." Now he's just using my left arm as a pillow.]

v1: Pondering us under-rated.

v6: The Spirit usually speaks in a still, small voice, yet here, he uses a loud voice.  I'm not sure we would rejoice to this degree just because someone said they believe in the Son of God.  This scene might be ponder-worthy.

Don't really have more thoughts than what I recorded last time, except:

• Nephi is asked to interpret symbols rather than the interpretation given to him. There's likely a principle here regarding how the Lord teaches us.
  • After this vision, in a way, Nephi is like an apostle, having witnessed what they did (and perhaps more than some).
  • Don't gather to fight against the apostles of the Lamb!
  • Avoid great and spacious buildings. :)
Edited by zil2

1 Nephi 12

You have to wonder whether every prophet sees this sort of thing, or whether only some of them do.  I wonder how much of these things Nephi taught, and to whom.  He had a lot of easy-to-understand specifics, including timing.  The prophecies of the Second Coming are difficult to understand, and exclude timing...  Makes me wonder about the differences.

Still seems like the primary message of this chapter is: be humble, repent, resist temptation.

1 Nephi 13

v1: It occurs to me that all these "Look! And I looked..." repetitions are a lesson for us.  The Spirit, scripture, the gospel, prayer, etc. can tell us where to "look" (focus our attention).  Do we "look" when invited or commanded to "look"?

v2: Similarly, all the "What beholdest thou?" sequences (question, answer, further explanation) can teach us that though God knows (and this angel knew), He asks us so that we can think, work it through, have time to come to understanding.  Sometimes, to me, prayer seems almost bizarre - God knows everything, including my thoughts and emotions, what I need; he's going to do what he's going to do, so what's the point in prayer?  (Yes, I know the excellent information contained in the Bible Dictionary Entry.)  I'm not saying prayer is bizarre, I'm saying sometimes my brain perceives the idea of prayer as bizarre.  Anywho, I think all these "obvious" questions are an example of why we should talk to God and tell him what we "behold" - it lays a foundation for teaching, revelation, understanding.  It sets us up to receive.

v13: Our (Americans') ancestors "went forth out of captivity" at great risk and sacrifice (or so it seems to me).  Are we as willing to come out of captivity (aka Babylon)?  I just watched an Instagram video of Elder Kearon talking about how he'd just spent 3 hours doing a series of interviews with various reporters and that it was draining, but also that it had left him filled with peace because he'd spent 3 hours talking about the things our Savior and Heavenly Father do for us.  It seems related to me - getting caught up in the day-to-day distractions of living in the modern world can be a kind of captivity.  Yet, are we willing to give it up to spend 3 hours talking about our Heavenly Father and the Savior?  (Just stuff to think about.)

Give up captivity.  Be humble.  Rely on God. Make and keep covenants.  Feast on the word of God.  Believe in Jesus Christ.  God is playing the long game, arranging for all who will to have the gospel sooner or later - trust that he knows what he's doing, and get on board. :)

1 Nephi 14

v9: Apparently, by the time we get here, the angel no longer feels the need to continue the sequence of "look" "and I looked" "what do you behold?" "I behold..." "here's what that means".  I expect Nephi is now sufficiently educated and in the right frame of mind, has learned to understand and therefore can be taught more directly without missing the significance of what's taught.

Not really seeing anything else in this chapter more than I saw last time, except that verse 12 answers the question I posed about verse 14 (apparently I have a short attention span) - one group of people, two descriptions of them (not two different groups of people).

Choose to be part of the church of the Lamb.  Keep your covenants so that you can be "armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory."  The alternative doesn't end well.