I can relate to where you're coming from. I did exactly the same thing. I didn't want to be taught by missionaries who in my opinion had been trained to brainwash people. I wanted to find out for myself by reading as much as I could. I read the Book of Mormon. Then I borrowed a book from our local library about Brigham Young called something like "The Lion of Judah". The next thing I read was "Truth Restored" by Gordon B. Hinckley.

If you want to look for LDS books online check out this site.

Looking for some reading guide texts/further reading:

A guide to the Book of Morman

Any books that might assist

Yes really, I've been living under a rock. Maybe I am taking the hard path about things, but please just help me anyway even if you don't think this is the right way about going things and that I should just talk to a missionary.

I'm not sure if this is want you are looking for, but I found books

on DeseretBooks.com that explain the scriptures.

The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 1: 1 Nephi through Words of Mormon by David Ridges

The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 2: Mosiah through Alma by David

Ridges

The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 3: Helaman through Moroni by David Ridges

I don't have any of these books tho. I did order The New Testament Made Easier, Part 1: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John by David Ridges.

I don't have it yet so can't say if it's any good or not.

Hidden

I'm slightly sensitive about the occasional clanger I come out with.

Pretty much Willow, the idea of being under any pressure! While I don't think they are going to do that (honestly how long would a conversion like that last) the pressure would be 'ME' I think. Added to that, I think I need to sort out the WOW bit on my smoking habit (yes I know there's support) but picturing myself calculating how much longer until I can have a fag during a meeting is just woeful.

I read Nephi and was just really disappointed that I had missed out on so much when I got an online guide that was just awesome. So thankyou for all of your help.

I really appreciate the link Nate as postage is probably going to be a sloooow option.

I'm trying to get myself to follow all the scriptures by reading the Gospel Principles and Preach My Gospel manuals...I must admit that I'm having trouble getting started properly, but my intentions are good, lol :)

Edited to add: I know you can follow the Gospel Principles manual online via The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and you may find Preach My Gospel there too..

I love a Marvelous Work and a Wonder by LeGrand Richards its so simple puts the church in a good perspective, if you can get through it Jesus The Christ is good James Talmage.

Charley

"Jesus the Christ" is an amazing book. I'm reading it right now, I'm only on page 125 though. It's pretty thick but I'm far from bored with it.

• 2 weeks later...