The oldest mormon chaple in the world ??

adie_vale

The oldest continuously surviving unit of the Church anywhere in the world is right here in England too - in Preston, Lancashire. We haven't had the same building in Preston all that time but the ward/branch has never ceased to exist since it was first formed when the first missionaries came here in 1837. It is not far from my own Ward of Blackburn although we are in a different Stake. We used to be part of Preston Stake until it split a few years ago. Now we are Chorley Stake but one amusing thing is that we have two temples in England. One of them is located on the same site as our Chorley Stake centre and yet it is called "Preston Temple" and has the name on the wall outside the driveway which leads to the temple and our Stake Centre.

There are quite a few interesting historical sites around this area, the River Ribble where the first baptisms in England took place, the flag market in Preston where the first missionaries preached, the lodging house where they stayed still exists too but is no longer a lodging house but privately owned. To anyone who lives in this area it's interesting to check out the sites but there are few official memorial marks to denote connection with the church. Apart from in Avenham Park in Preston there is a plaque relating to the first baptisms (the River Ribble runs through the park) and in Clitheroe, Chatburn and Downham there are benches donated by the church bearing memorial plaques dedicated to the first converts from the area who emmigrated to the USA.

The oldest continuously surviving unit of the Church anywhere in the world is right here in England too - in Preston, Lancashire. We haven't had the same building in Preston all that time but the ward/branch has never ceased to exist since it was first formed when the first missionaries came here in 1837. It is not far from my own Ward of Blackburn although we are in a different Stake. We used to be part of Preston Stake until it split a few years ago. Now we are Chorley Stake but one amusing thing is that we have two temples in England. One of them is located on the same site as our Chorley Stake centre and yet it is called "Preston Temple" and has the name on the wall outside the driveway which leads to the temple and our Stake Centre.

There are quite a few interesting historical sites around this area, the River Ribble where the first baptisms in England took place, the flag market in Preston where the first missionaries preached, the lodging house where they stayed still exists too but is no longer a lodging house but privately owned. To anyone who lives in this area it's interesting to check out the sites but there are few official memorial marks to denote connection with the church. Apart from in Avenham Park in Preston there is a plaque relating to the first baptisms (the River Ribble runs through the park) and in Clitheroe, Chatburn and Downham there are benches donated by the church bearing memorial plaques dedicated to the first converts from the area who emmigrated to the USA.

Thats really intersesting i would like to visit all that! I live in the stoke area but that sounds good.

LOL thanks Willow I should have known that - need to correct my branch history I have and found out more about the Banff branch

-Charley

Thats really intersesting i would like to visit all that! I live in the stoke area but that sounds good.

I'll see if I can dig out my old photos from the Susquecentennial celebration here when President Hinckley came and we did a tour of all the historical sites.

LOL thanks Willow I should have known that - need to correct my branch history I have and found out more about the Banff branch

-Charley

I wonder if maybe Banff is the oldest branch in Scotland?

I remember years ago saying that I thought we should have a Temple in Preston Stake with all the historical connections here, then we got one - then they changed the stake and now it's in our Chorley Stake!

:D

I'll see if I can dig out my old photos from the Susquecentennial celebration here when President Hinckley came and we did a tour of all the historical sites.

I wonder if maybe Banff is the oldest branch in Scotland?

I remember years ago saying that I thought we should have a Temple in Preston Stake with all the historical connections here, then we got one - then they changed the stake and now it's in our Chorley Stake! :D

I suspect it is the oldest branch in Scotland:) - I love having a temple in Preston, I was born in Ormskirk and my family is from North of England/Borders Scotland it feels like doing their work in their home which makes it very special.

-Charley

Does anyone think there will be anymore temples built in the uk ? Chorley isnt to far away for people from stoke like myself, it is a stretch for some people!

I am in North East Scotland have about the furthest to travel not too many Saints have a bigger distance but its not too bad to Chorley especially when you are like and remember when the London Temple was closed and the trek was to Frankfurt

And like President Hinckley said in 1993 in Dundee we won't get a Temple in Scotland until their is an attitude change and we appreciate the one we then had in London. At the time several Scots were refusing to use the Temple until one was built in Scotland they got throughly told off and reminded of the African Saints that need to walk 1-2 weeks or did at the time to get to a Temple often selling all they had to do it. That speech stuck with me and whenever I travel to the Temple I think how lucky I am its so close, plus distance means we stay for a whole week which is great too.

But every chapel that is built is now in a position I understand to become a temple in just a few hours.

-Charley