Okay, this is serious -- Music Recording??

MaidservantX

I have decided that I am now going to spend some money on music recording software, equipment, etc. for use on or with my computer.

I am not a 'green thumb' when it comes to this kind of thing. I know what kind of results I want, but not so sure how to get there. I need it spelled out for me.

Although in some sense price is not an object, on the other hand, I want to start first -- like right now -- with only the bare minimum of what is needed. If someone really wanted to get into this with me, they could outline a NOW, you need; then a year long shopping list with what to get each month to build it up.

I have an IBM compatible computer with not too much ram (512) but plenty of total, empty, free hard drive space. Would it be good to buy more RAM? I need that spelled out too, and want, again, what would be best, but also minimum.

I am almost sure I want cakewalk's sonar unless someone would say that is the worst mistake of my life and wishes to send me in a better direction -- again, a nice basic package that I can learn on. I can build up later. (Although a nice basic package with lots of neat features is also good).

Also, right now I am going to work with my MIDI compatible keyboard (that has drum tracks), and my own voice. That is all for now. So I expect I will need a microphone (what kind?). But anything else? Brands and exactly what equipment it is would be appreciated.

I expect to record, keep files on my computers for a variety of sharing and web publishing, and also to burn cds (my comp will burn cds); for now anyway. Any tips on this will be appreciated too.

Thank you so much!! If you are interested, I'll keep you updated? The X music recording adventure blog, lol. We'll see.

But, really, I need help!! And thaaaank you.

Hey X

I myself use Cakewalks Guitar Tracks, but that is just because it was pretty cheap at the time. It has 8 recording tracks and a limited supply of effects that you can add to the tracks. So I checked out Sonar and it looks much better so if that is the way you want to go then go for it. I know I have had fun with my Guitar Tracks, but the lack of MIDI capabilities seriously sucks. I would love to upgrade but right now my music isn't at a high priority in my life.

So what kind of music are you gonna record?

Hymns and really slow stuff . . . . PSYCH!!!! . . . ROCK MUSIC OF COURSE!! ha ha. Actually I'm prolly a little on the pop side of things more than pure rock, but I do like heavy beats -- and you know, whatever I come up with. I like love songs, but I don't like them to drag too much. We'll see. I have created rock music in the past based on bible stories. I don't know why I do that. But in any case, I'm going to start all fresh. Brand new writing, not going to use any of my old songs to begin with. After getting started fresh, I'll prolly go back and re-do my previous. I sing, and do a little keyboard (piano). I don't play guitar or any other instrument.

I've seen Cakewalk Sonar, and it's great software. I, myself, use Cubase. It's great, too. I'm not sure I could really say one or the other is "better".

I've been making LDS-oriented rock and pop for a long time, now, and I'm about to release a second CD. I'm so psyched! Check it out at LDS Rock Music for Mormon Youth -- free downloads - clickincome

Where can we hear your music!?

MRKH

Is that canonised? ;)

The one and only sin I need repent of is switching from MACs to PCs. I knew not what I was doing at the time.

Well, actually I did, but I thought it was a momentary thing. Then I let a harlot of a laptop lead me away from the one and only true mind meld of human and machine.

Will anyone hear my confession?

Elphaba

The one and only sin I need repent of is switching from MACs to PCs. I knew not what I was doing at the time.

Well, actually I did, but I thought it was a momentary thing. Then I let a harlot of a laptop lead me away from the one and only true mind meld of human and machine.

I love confessions! Especially if they lead me to make a better choice in the future. I could be a naive simpleton who lives in a MacPC (as in Donald) world who needs to - convert to Mac (minus PC). (I hate change, a rebel at heart, but....)

:deadhorse:

Elphaba

I'm not sure but is forgiveness for such even possible?

Get an MBOX:

Digidesign | Products | Pro Tools LE & M-Powered | Mbox 2 Family | Mbox 2 | Mbox 2

This is the most basic package you can get from Digidesign. They are the makers of Pro Tools. Pro Tools is used in virtually every recording studio out there. It will take considerable time and practice getting used to this software, but it is very user friendly and very powerful.

For vocals, get something like a Rode NT1:

RØDE Microphones - NT1-A

This equipment will work with both MAC and PC.

Its what I use. Love it.

-a-train