1 Nephi 2:15

skalenfehl

Since the days of my mission I have been fascinated by some of the little details of the Book of Mormon. One such detail is a tiny little scripture written by Nephi and what its significance must have meant:

"And my father dwelt in a tent."

The fact that he "dwelt in a tent" was mentioned three more times. Anyone ever notice this?

1 Ne. 9: 1

And all these things did my father see, and hear, and speak, as he dwelt in a tent, in the valley of Lemuel, and also a great many more things, which cannot be written upon these plates.

1 Ne. 10: 16

And all these things, of which I have spoken, were done as my father dwelt in a tent, in the valley of Lemuel.

1 Ne. 16: 6

Now, all these things were said and done as my father dwelt in a tent in the valley which he called Lemuel.

There were very limited resources in the mission home for studying the more profound details of the Book of Mormon, but the many old Ensign and Liahona magazines provided me with some insight and information about what the life of Lehi and his family must have been like.

I believe that Lehi was a very wealthy man, who had a house, also a land of inheritance and many riches and took nothing with him but his family, tents and provisions. (As a sidebar, what does this teach us about valuing worldly things? What will we be able to take with us when we leave this world behind?).

1 Ne. 2: 4

And it came to pass that he *departed into the wilderness. And he left his house, and the land of his inheritance, and his gold, and his silver, and his precious things, and took nothing with him, save it were his family, and provisions, and tents, and departed into the wilderness.

He must have traveled a lot and was very familiar with the trade routes of his area and he probably took Nephi, his youngest son on many journeys perhaps to trade, or visit with acquantances and maybe even business men of other territories. These are just my opinions.

I think, though, that the journey that they took out into the wilderness, even common trails and trade routes that must have been frequented by other traders and even raided by plunderers, bandits and robbers, might not have been such a new experience for Nephi, who emphasized that his father dwelt in a tent. He mentions this as a sidebar in the midst of describing family issues. Since pondering this scripture again I decided to do a little online searching to see if I was the only one who wondered about this tiny passage. I was surprised to see I'm not alone. I discovered that "the sheikh's tent is the center of everything". But in Lehi's case there might be more to it than that! Didn't the Israelites have a portable tabernacle? A tent? A temple? Where did Lehi marry his sons to the daughters of Ishmael? Where did Lehi and even Nephi commune with the Lord while in the wilderness? The tent was mentioned about fourteen times.

I found a couple of good websites where others have provided their insight, which I find very fascinating and confirm to me that there was much more to Lehi dwelling in a tent than meets the eye:

Blogger of Jared Blog Archive “And My Father Dwelt in a Tent”

My Father Dwelt in a Tent BoM Groupies

I posted this on my blog, but I also wanted to share it here for discussion. Has anyone else found this curious?

I have often wondered about that short little phrase. Very illuminating!!

I read once that practically ANY TIME you notice a conspicuous phrasing like this -- it is the Lord's way of saying "Wake, up!! There's a mystery of godliness here!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Professor Nibley found it very curious, and wrote a whole book on it, "Lehi in the Desert", coupled, later, with "The World of the Jaredites". This theme also pops up much in his lectures and other writings. I realize we shouldn't base (at least the bigger part of) our testimonies of the Book of Mormon on technical details that Joseph Smith could never, in a thousand years, have gotten from his milieu, but this is a fun read, as is most of Nibley's stuff, and is well worth your time.

I believe I may have read it about twenty years ago (I used to read his works). I'll have to check it out. I agree about not basing our testimonies on such things and mine isn't, but yes, such reads are indeed enjoyable.

I gotta say that Nephi is just about my favorite prophet in the Book of Mormon. There is so much that we can learn from him. I could write volumes.

"And my father dwelt in a tent."

The fact that he "dwelt in a tent" was mentioned three more times. Anyone ever notice this?

1 Ne. 9: 1

And all these things did my father see, and hear, and speak, as he dwelt in a tent, in the valley of Lemuel, and also a great many more things, which cannot be written upon these plates.

1 Ne. 10: 16

And all these things, of which I have spoken, were done as my father dwelt in a tent, in the valley of Lemuel.

1 Ne. 16: 6

Now, all these things were said and done as my father dwelt in a tent in the valley which he called Lemuel.

It is these curious topics that makes us look deeper into our study of the scriptures.

Someone mentioned Professor Nibley. Well, he commented on this very subject:

The Tent

It is most significant how Nephi speaks of his father's tent; it is the official center of all administration and authority. First the dogged insistence of Nephi on telling us again and again that "my father dwelt in a tent" (1 Nephi 2:15; 9:1; 10:16; 16:6). So what? we ask, but to an Oriental that statement says everything. Since time immemorial the whole population of the Near East have been either tent-dwellers or house-dwellers, the people of the bait ash-sha'r or the bait at-tin, "houses of hair or houses of clay." It was Harmer who first pointed out that one and the same person may well alternate between the one way of life and the other, and he cites the case of Laban in Genesis 31, where "one is surprised to find both parties so suddenly equipped with tents for their accommodation in traveling," though they had all along been living in houses. Not only has it been the custom for herdsmen and traders to spend part of the year in tents and part in houses, but "persons of distinction" in the East have always enjoyed spending part of the year in tents for the pure pleasure of a complete change.

It is clear from 1 Nephi 3:1; 4:38; 5:7; 7:5; 21-22; 15:1; and 16:10 that Lehi's tent is the headquarters for all activities, all discussion and decisions

(Hugh Nibley, An Approach to the Book of Mormon, 3rd ed., p.243-)

In a book I read recently, "The Holy Secret" -- it offers another insight into this "and my father dwelt in a tent" thing.

It speaks to their poverty.

In fact, the book explains that Nephi purposefully began his record by talking about having been born of "goodly" parents. In other words, they were quite wealthy. They received the best education. To leave all of that behind was hard for EVERYBODY in the family, even Nephi. Right after Nephi makes this statement about his father living in a tent (very humble conditions) we see Nephi on his knees, asking the Lord to soften his heart, so that he will not rebel like unto his brethren:

15 And my father dwelt in a tent.

[LOOK AT THE PATHETIC CONDITIONS WE'RE LIVING IN. WE'RE DWELLING IN TENTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!]

16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.

[THE LORD HELPED ME NOT TO REVILE AGAINST MY FATHER (BOTH EARTHLY AND HEAVENLY) BECAUSE OF OUR HUMBLE CIRCUMSTANCES AND HAVING TO LIVE IN TENTS]

17 And I spake unto Sam, making known unto him the things which the Lord had manifested unto me by his Holy Spirit. And it came to pass that he believed in my words.

[i WENT AND HELPED SAM NOT TO REVILE AS WELL]

18 But, behold, Laman and Lemuel would not hearken unto my words; and being grieved because of the hardness of their hearts I cried unto the Lord for them.

[bUT LAMAN AND LEMUEL COVETED THEIR POSSESSIONS TOO MUCH. THEY MISSED THEIR OLD LIFESTYLE TOO MUCH.]

This is way cool. I am beginning to see how the Book of Mormon really was written for our day. I am learning it "afresh". 1st and 2nd Nephi are a metaphor for our OWN spiritual progression -- our own need and our own individual struggles with fleeing the pull of "Babylon"

The tabernacle was the tent in which the LORD's glory came to Israel. Later, in great splendor, Solomon erected the brick and mortal temple in Jerusalem to which the LORD also came.

We are today traveling through the wilderness in our mortal tabernacles guided by the LORD's cloud or Spirit. The time will come that this mortal tabernacle will be gone and we will meet the LORD in our glorious and immortal temples.

-a-train

Indeed a-train.

Tomk, interesting that you confirmed my belief that Nephi is from a very wealthy family. I've always believed that Lehi was very wealthy as alluded by all his riches, the land of his inheritance and his home in Jerusalem. I personally believe that he was a very successful trader that traveled a lot and apparently spoke more than just Hebrew.

Indeed a-train.

Tomk, interesting that you confirmed my belief that Nephi is from a very wealthy family. I've always believed that Lehi was very wealthy as alluded by all his riches, the land of his inheritance and his home in Jerusalem. I personally believe that he was a very successful trader that traveled a lot and apparently spoke more than just Hebrew.

I speculate Lehi had travels through Egypt.

Or it was to be found in Jerusalem somehow? After all they "came out of Egypt" via Moses.

The tribe of Joseph was still in Egypt during this timeframe. The biggest trade in Egypt at that time was metalsmithers. Something I had learn from a old professor who now passed on.

Josephites, I would call them, in their own business trade had a special written language that helped to pass messages among each other without the threat of the Egyptian ruling class in keeping their own religion alive among themselves. Perhaps, reformed Egyptian writing only known to them.

Noting the plates, you will find, Lehi carried extra plates with him. Being of wealth, I suspect his father or Lehi was one of them. This was a lucrative business during that time.

Ah! That makes even more sense, Hemi! I wonder if Lehi knew he was a descendant of Joseph before procuring the plates of brass from Laban.

Ughh, I wish Martin Harris hadn't lost the 116 pages!! I think once the Lord consented they were forfeit regardless of whether or not Martin had returned with them intact. I'd love to have read what Lehi wrote. From what I understand these pages contained Lehi's writing. But then that might also have meant leaving out another book or other accounts that Mormon abridged. Who knows...

Remember, what is lost can be had via the spirit if you have that desire to know the truth.

I will say, the plates are not Laban but belong to Lehi's father. Through Hebrew traditions of the fathers, the father would in his last days pass down the family records to his oldest son. Somehow, don't know what really transpired, but Laban obtained the plates. I do believe that Laban and Lehi were related by blood [Josephite] though. How would Lehi know where Laban house was and what he had.

It was based on family records that Lehi wanted. What purpose would it serve Laban than noting something special about the plates.

1 Nephi 2:3 For behold, Laban hath the record of the Jews and also a genealogy of my forefathers, and they are engraven upon plates of brass.

Not only that, careful reading within chapter two, will reveal other things concerning Laban relationship to Lehi, since he didn't questioned who they were.

So far what I have in my notes from my mission days are the following references:

1 Ne. 3: 3

3 For behold, Laban hath the record of the Jews and also a genealogy of my forefathers, and they are engraven upon plates of brass.

1 Ne. 3: 12

12 And he desired of Laban the records which were engraven upon the plates of brass, which contained the genealogy of my father.

1 Ne. 5: 14, 16

14 And it came to pass that my father, Lehi, also found upon the plates of brass a genealogy of his fathers; wherefore he knew that he was a descendant of Joseph; yea, even that Joseph who was the son of Jacob, who was sold into Egypt, and who was preserved by the hand of the Lord, that he might preserve his father, Jacob, and all his household from perishing with famine.

• • •

16 And thus my father, Lehi, did discover the genealogy of his fathers. And Laban also was a descendant of Joseph, wherefore he and his fathers had kept the records.

If I remember correctly Laban was an Elder of the church, also had commanded many men (hence Laman and Lemuel's concern about procuring the brass plates as a hard thing to do, beside the fact that they had to travel back about 180 miles), so he definitely was a prominent man, especially for possessing a sword of fine steel and pure gold hilt, which was hardly typical of the lesser quality swords of the time. Here's a couple articles that I've had bookmarked about the sword that gives further insight into his prominent character:

"The Workmanship Thereof Was Exceedingly Fine" - Maxwell Institute JBMS

Nephi's Jerusalem and Laban's Sword - Maxwell Institute JBMS

I definitely agree that Lehi and Laban were related, but just how close? Here is an excellent article that definitely puts things into perspective.

Meridian Magazine: Book of Mormon: How Nephi Became the Birthright Son

1 Ne. 5: 14, 16

14 And it came to pass that my father, Lehi, also found upon the plates of brass a genealogy of his fathers; wherefore he knew that he was a descendant of Joseph; yea, even that Joseph who was the son of Jacob, who was sold into Egypt, and who was preserved by the hand of the Lord, that he might preserve his father, Jacob, and all his household from perishing with famine.

"Not famine (food / water) ... but Famine for the word of God"

2 Ne. 1: 10

10 But behold, when the time cometh that they shall dwindle in unbelief, after they have received so great blessings from the hand of the Lord—having a knowledge of the creation of the earth, and all men, knowing the great and marvelous works of the Lord from the creation of the world; having power given them to do all things by faith; having all the commandments from the beginning, [PLATES OF BRASS] and having been brought by his infinite goodness into this precious land of promise—behold, I say, if the day shall come that they will reject the Holy One of Israel, the true Messiah, their Redeemer and their God, behold, the judgments of him that is just shall rest upon them.

Mosiah 1: 5

5 I say unto you, my sons, were it not for these things, which have been kept and preserved by the hand of God, that we might read and understand of his mysteries, and have his commandments always before our eyes, that even our fathers would have dwindled in unbelief, and we should have been like unto our brethren, the Lamanites, who know nothing concerning these things, or even do not believe them when they are taught them, because of the traditions of their fathers, which are not correct.