Thomas S. Monson Solemn Assembly

Heather

I was wondering how everyone felt about Conference today? It was a really neat experience to watch and be part of the Solemn Assembly to sustain President Thomas S. Monson as our Prophet, Seer and Revelator. I'd love to hear what were some of your favorite moments and why.

My son, who is coplaining about NOT having any Spiritual testimony, saw the same as I did when President Monson was sustained. We both saw his features, which are quite different from Hinkleys to resemble Hinkley a lot as he sat there and was sustained by others. I had to kind of look twice... later I looked at that again, but saw not what I saw then. That was my favorite moment. Unfortunately I cant recall when that happened, but for me and my son it did. It dazzled me, I was not prepeared to it.

The whole Conferance so far has been really great. Fantastic speaches! The number of members was a bit of a dissapointment... I was expecting a LOT more than that... so GET TO WORK!

Who...me?? I am so little, I know so little, I am nothing, my family is not in order, I am not a good excempel, what could the little me do, I always make a mess on things, well at least I am a good warning example .... who cares... I will do it anyway... a bit more brave, and make the nettside finally... scarry!:eek:

I am really enjoying conference so far. My kids loved sustaining the prophet although we can only hear it as the video stream was very scratchy. Its first time I have done it at home and it was much better we had a fun tea and nice treats and sat as a family playing games and listening to it, then once kids were in bed we listened to the other session more seriously.

Joseph B Wirthlin's talk was the one I got the most out of - it contributed to me rebuilding my testimony I appreciated his testimony and the reasons he was grateful for being a Latter Day Saint.

-Charley

The Solemn Assembly was great. But my 'knowing' that Thomas Monson is the President of the Church came during his PH session talk tonight. Don't get me wrong: during the news conference when he was presented to the world as the President, and during the solemn assy I felt it, but his talk tonight was so...different. It told us what we as a PH needs to be doing. Wow. That was when I knew that the mantle had truly passed and that he is now the Prophet that the Lord wants at the head of the church.

His administration, I feel, will be marked by the theme of service. Bishop Burton brought up all the church is doing (which is phenomenal) in service oriented activities. Pres Monson will make that even more of a priority, I feel.

I don't ever remember this being done in a general conference (I'm not saying it hasn't but I don't remember). I thought it was very interesting that it was done by groups. It helped give a clear picture of everyone in each quorum or group and you knew if they were raising their hands or not. When its just everyone together it is easy for some people to just not raise their hands and you might not notice.

I've been in the primary for a few years now and I was hoping he would ask everyone in primary to stand. It would have been impressive to see all the children under 11 raise their hands.

I don't ever remember this being done in a general conference (I'm not saying it hasn't but I don't remember). I thought it was very interesting that it was done by groups. It helped give a clear picture of everyone in each quorum or group and you knew if they were raising their hands or not. When its just everyone together it is easy for some people to just not raise their hands and you might not notice.

I've been in the primary for a few years now and I was hoping he would ask everyone in primary to stand. It would have been impressive to see all the children under 11 raise their hands.

my kids just joined in with us :) they raised their hands.

-Charley

Solemn Assemblies are always done by groups. What is different this time, IIRC, is combining the Patriarchs, High Priests and Elders together for the vote (they've been separate in the past); and having the Relief Society and Young Women vote as groups. I thought it was wonderful to give the women of the Church the same level of respect and opportunity as those of us in the quorums of priesthood.

I agree that Pres Monson's talks last night and this morning were very different for him. He spoke as THE prophet, with greater power and authority than I've heard him before. And I loved how he can wiggle his ears, as he did last night. You ladies will have to wait until the video is available to see what I mean.

I only watched the priesthood session and a few other talks. So far, from what I've seen, I really liked the the talks given by Bishop Burton about the church's humanitarian efforts that influenced at least 4 million people. I also liked the talk given by Elder Child on the subject of tithing. The promises given in that talk to those who pay their tithing are definitely something worth reviewing.

I am so sad that GC is over. I look forward to it for months, and do all I can to watch all 5 sessions. Then 6 p.m. Sunday comes, the last note by the choir is over, the benediction offered, and I'm left wanting more.

This conference was fantastic, the best I've ever watched (but then again, I say that after every conference!). Certainly a lot to chew on and work on...

I expect there are many who would like to understand more about what a Solemn Assembly is and why and when we call them.

I hope this Ensign article excerpt helps. The link to the entire article is at the bottom. I have also posted this and another article by Marlin K. Jensen, the Church historian and recorder on the HOME PAGE of LdsNet... please go over there, and DIGG these articles so that we can help educate the public about Solemn Assemblies as well....;)

Digg Digg Digg:-)

The dedication of the Kirtland Temple was a solemn assembly, just as has been each subsequent temple dedication. In that temple’s dedicatory prayer, the Prophet spoke of one of the purposes of a temple—“that the Son of Man might have a place to manifest himself to his people.” (D&C 109:5.) On such holy occasions, the sacred Hosanna Shout is given, as it was at the dedication of the Kirtland Temple. (See Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2d ed., Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1979, p. 368.)

A solemn assembly is also called when the membership of the Church sustains a new prophet of the Lord. By sustaining the President, members of the Church signify their willingness to heed his counsel, as the Lord admonished the Saints in Joseph Smith’s time: “Thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;

“For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.” (D&C 21:4–5.)

As President Spencer W. Kimball explained in the April 1974 general conference, “Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were first sustained by a congregation, including a fully organized priesthood. Brigham Young was sustained on March 27, 1846, and was ‘unanimously elected president over the whole Camp of Israel’ by the council. (B. H. Roberts, A Comprehensive History of the Church, 7 vols., Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1978, 3:52.) Later he was sustained, and the Hosanna Shout was given.

“Each of the presidents of the Church has been sustained by the priesthood of the Church in solemn assembly.” (Ensign, May 1974, p. 45.)

This has been the order of the Church ever since its organization. When President Gordon B. Hinckley spoke in the solemn assembly of the April 1986 general conference, he called the meeting “a tremendously significant and sacred occasion for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints throughout the world.” The format for sustaining officers at that conference was abbreviated from that of past solemn assemblies because, explained President Hinckley, “in these present circumstances, it is considered unfeasible to seat by quorums those assembled in the Tabernacle and the many other halls. We shall, however, vote by quorums and groups.” (Ensign, May 1986, p. 73.)

Solemn assemblies may be called for other reasons. On 2 July 1889, a special solemn assembly was held in the Salt Lake Temple in which President Lorenzo Snow presented the law of tithing as the word and will of God for members of the Church to accept. (See Francis M. Gibbons, Lorenzo Snow: Spiritual Giant, Prophet of God, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1982, pp. 222–23.) Other solemn assemblies have been called by the First Presidency to instruct priesthood leaders and returned missionaries.

Some solemn assemblies are held in temples, some in the Tabernacle, and others in stake centers. Whatever the purpose or location of the assembly, the sacredness of the event is paramount. At such times, we may want to keep in mind the words of the Lord to the Prophet Joseph Smith: “Hearken ye to these words. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds.” (D&C 43:34.)

tDMg

LdsNana

Perhaps with a little more understanding, we can have some great discussion on how we felt and feel about the privilege it is, both men, women, youth and children... all members of the LDS Church - what this should mean to us?

Herein, is the unity of the Saints:-)

LDS.org - Ensign Article - I Have a Question

Also for anyone interested in the history of the female membership of the Church, and our involvement with Solemn Assemblies... here is the first time ever, that the Relief Society and the Young Women were designated as separate groups and stood to vote in that body of women....

This was the 1995, Solemn Assembly - when Gordon B. Hinckley was sustained as the President and Prophet of the Church. Thomas S. Monson conducted this solemn assembly...

1995 First time in the history of the LDS Church...

"Will all members of the Relief Society—that is, all women eighteen years of age and older—please arise. It is proposed that Gordon Bitner Hinckley be sustained as prophet, seer, and revelator and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, together with his counselors and members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as previously presented and voted upon. All in favor, please indicate by the uplifted hand. Thank you. Any opposed may so indicate it. You may be seated.

Will the young women—that is, all young women ages twelve to eighteen—please arise. It is proposed that Gordon Bitner Hinckley be sustained as prophet, seer, and revelator and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, together with his counselors and members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as previously presented and voted upon. All in favor, please indicate by the uplifted hand. Thank you. Any opposed may so indicate it. You may be seated.

http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Magazines/Ensign/1995.htm/ensign%20may%201995.htm/the%20solemn%20assembly%20sustaining%20of%20church%20officers.htm

Note: It is good to remember, that Joseph Smith, when organizing the female Relief Society, specifically said - that it (RS) was being organized after a or the pattern of the Priesthood. The female organizations of the Church are companion groups, with those of the Priesthood - in building up the Kingdom of God on earth.

tMDg

LdsNana

A Solemn Assembly is only held when a new prophet is sustained. Last one was 14 yrs ago before yesterday.

Ben Raines

Actually, there are other reasons to call a solemn assembly - a temple dedication, for instance (D&C 109:6-10). And a solemn assembly can be held for a limited/smaller group of saints - it isn't necessarily just for a meeting of the general membership.