kids and food

Avrham

my 3kids choose to be vegetarian they are 8,4,2yrs old and only eat what my wife eats(whos a vegetarian of course) alot of people at church are suprised because they don't cause a disturbance or carry on and are always respectful(at the best of times) its funny because my kids eating habits has a huge effect on their behavior believe it or not, well my wife has always told me diet "effects behavior"good or bad , they have a very placid/relaxed and attentive attitude especially at church even at home ,but kids will always be kids its just one of those things i am finding out as a parent just recently "ÿou are what you eat":):)

food does affect behavior more than i think most give credit for these days.

i think there are greater implications there as well. all my opinion but, parents who are concious that their kids eat right are also more likely to pay attention to other factors in the home. like family meals, good manners, learning and emplimenting proper diciplinary methods, education, cleanliness in the home, proper sleep and hygeine, etc. these factors also have major impact on behavior. parents who let their children live off junk food alone probably don't look into or see these other things as important either.

I've gotta ask, if your kids are eating what their Mom eats then how is it that they are choosing to be vegetarian?

I do agree however that diet affects behavior. Most people eat too much red meat and WAY too many simple carbohydrates. My daughter behaves very well in Church as well. I think a part of it is her diet and part of it is parental guidance. She knows when it's okay to run around like a crazy monkey and when it's time to be reverent. She is also health conscience. It's so cute when she asks me a for a healthy snack to eat!

your right their ruthiechan i tried to tempt them with meat(all the time) but all i get are glares and pretty mean ones at that, between the cheeseburger and the avocado the avocado wins all the time the kids see the vegies not as healthy but tasty (blah) and they seem to think that carrots taste best when eaten raw and washed(double blah) well as to their choosing it , they prefer not to eat what i eat which is meat, i think ive lost that one but i should stop whinging its really good that what is considered to be healthy food they think its just normal food

Food has a very big impact on our moods! I've been reading quite a bit about it these past few weeks. Overly processed foods are stuffed with loads of starches and sugars, which are good for SHORT term energy boosts, but will leave a person feeling sluggish and tired afterwards. Things that take longer to break down and use, such as fats and proteins, will give you a longer lasting energy boost. But remember to get a decent amount to sleep, because no amount of food or stimulants can overcome the effects of accumulated sleep deprivation!

I'd be jumping for joy over kids who willingly eat veggies that aren't deep fried and breaded!

I am vegetarian but my kids like to eat what their Dad cooks which is sausages, hamburgers and chicken.

I don't really wish for them to be vegetarian, I am happy for them to make healthy choices even if that includes meat.

I wish they would eat more vegees but I can choose for them not to eat junk - easy - don't buy it. Unfortunately the kids do get lollies etc from elsewhere but I can limit it.

I definitely believe the food we eat has an effect on behaviour. If you are lacking in vitamins and minerals it can also leave you lethargic, it can work both ways.

Its amazing what our kids can teach us, isn't it?

wow! Im impressed. We have several veggie families in my home ward and they all have 'perfect' kids lol. Just one thing-if they dont eat meat make sure they get enough proteins that meat offers through things such as beans and pulses. You can't cut out a food group without replacing it with something. Good for your kids tho, your wife must be an incredible example.

Im probably a bit anal when it comes to food. I eat very healthily and try to enforce this to my husband who doesnt. I do worry at our differing views on food for when we have kids as there's no way in hell they are going to any fast food joints or eating rubbish processed or high fat food. But if DH is eating it-How can I enforce it?

I personally would support your wife and dont try and tempt them with meat, they are living wonderfully. They will probably all be slim, healthy and heart disease will be as alien as the meat they shun. Good for them!!

When you think of the junk some kids eat which the parents try to stop them eating - sugar filled drinks, things with chemical additives and artificial colourings - I would say many would envy you. Just getting kids to eat vegetables at all is an uphill struggle for many parents. As your wife is vegetarian she will be able to ensure they have a good balanced diet.

i took my 4 yr old to the dr and the nurse kept asking me if he ate well, ect. she asked if i wanted to talk to the nutritionist. i finaly asked what her concern was. she said my son was only in the 25th percentile for height/weight for his age. i just laughed. of all my children i'm the least worried about him. he loves vegies and eats great. i told her to go to the school yard and pick any 6 yr old she wanted and my son could keep up physically and nutritionaly. which is true, he keeps up with his big brothers with ease.

after we left the dr office i asked him what he wanted for lunch. he got all excited and said, SALAD!! so we went to the supercenter and he got to look at and pick from one of their prepared salads. he had a great time, looking at all the things in them and different kinds. after picking one i asked what he wanted for desert and he said an apple so i let him pick any apple he wanted. so my 4 yr old had salad and an apple while i ate fried chicken. lol

and the nurse was worried about him. lol