Stem Cell Research

Guest curvette

Originally posted by curvette@Jun 22 2004, 04:14 PM

What are your thoughts on this?

I believe stem cell research is a good thing and should be done. All the arguments I have seen against it is not because of the research but "possible" methods of obtaining the stem cells.

I agree that there needs to be laws governing risk or missuse of human life to obtain stem cells.

The Traveler

Originally posted by curvette@Jun 24 2004, 04:26 PM

My daugher just turned 8 and she has type one diabetes (very different than the more common type II.) She will be totally dependent on insulin injections (4-6 a day) to live. With all of our modern medicine, there still is no reliable means to deliver the proper amounts of insulin to her system without injecting it. The insulin pump cuts down on the number of needle pokes, but it requires a really big one to put the thing in, and then it needs to be changed every 2-3 days. The disease can usually be managed with very strict monitoring, but there are a lot of variables and females have the extra worry of pregnancy and childbirth to worry about. (remember Steel Magnolias?) It breaks my heart to have to stick a needle in her several times a day. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm doing it to keep her alive.

A few years ago I read about research that had developed a bacteria that produced insulin. The bacteria was placed in a capsule and imbedded in the body on a blood source. There were two parts of the capsule. One had a bacteria that produced a small electoral current to run a micro chip and switch. The blood would constantly be monitored for insulin. When it became low blood would be feed to the insulin producing bacteria to release insulin into the blood stream. When insulin began to rase the insulin producing bacteria would be isolated. I think the article said that it can take 20 to 30 years for this to perfected enough to become available.

Science is a good thing - politics sometimes gets in the way of good things. I wish you and your daughter well and strength to get through this.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Faerie@Jun 23 2004, 08:42 AM

I am looking into donating my baby's stem cells from his/her umbilical cord...Coming from the point of view of having loads of friends who have done IVF to get pregnant...there are leftover embryos that are never used...those could be donated...

If every pregnant woman donated her cord blood, there wouldn't be as big of an issue about this!

What makes you think that the babies' umbilical cord has stem cells? Where did you get that information?

Originally posted by Cal@Jun 28 2004, 05:40 PM

What makes you think that the babies' umbilical cord has stem cells? Where did you get that information?

*sigh*

Why donate Cord Blood"

You should REALLY do some research before asking such a question...

Cord blood retrieval is one of the latest breakthroughs in modern medical research. The umbilical cord contains blood that is very rich in stem cells that may be used instead of a bone marrow transplant. This program allows expectant parents to preserve their baby's cord blood for the child's future should the need arise.

What is cord blood?

Cord blood refers to the blood that remains in the umbilical cord and in the placenta after it is separated from the newborn following childbirth. The umbilical cord and placenta (also known as afterbirth) are expelled and usually discarded after childbirth.

The blood found in these organs is rich in a special cell type called stem cells. Stem cells not only generate all the cell types found in blood but they also can be used to treat a variety of life threatening diseases including leukemia, other cancers, blood and immune disorders, and sickle cell anemia.

Why donate cord blood?

Cord blood can be donated for one of two reasons. First, a parent may choose to donate the cord blood for use by the child or a sibling in the event one of those life threatening diseases develops. In this case the cord blood stem cells will be stored, and no one can access these cells except the parent or child at the age of consent. Second, the cord blood can be donated to the community, similar in principle to a routine blood donation. Under these circumstances the cord blood will be released for use by a qualified recipient, identified through a registry.

What are the advantages of saving cord blood?

1. Immediate availability of matching stem cells for your child, eliminating the need to search for a suitable bone marrow donor. 2. Cord blood has a better chance of being used by a sibling of the same parentsÑconsiderably higher than a bone marrow match.

3. Increased safety. Cord blood stem transplants have resulted in significantly lower incidence of life threatening side effects that occur in large percentages of bone marrow transplantations.

4. Cord blood stem cells are especially suited for use in gene therapy. Already, through gene therapy, cord blood cells have been used to cure children born with SCIDS, otherwise known as the "bubble boy" disease. Researchers are optimistic about similar treatments for AIDS, rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes.

Collection and Storage

The only time cord blood can be collected is immediately following the birth of a baby. In a simple 20 minute procedure, it is collected from the umbilical cord by the attending physician, nurse or technician after the placenta is expelled and after the umbilical cord is cut from the newborn. The procedure does not interfere in any way with the birthing experience. On occasion we are unable to collect sufficient cord blood to extract the stem cells. The blood is then sealed in specially designed packaging for immediate delivery to the Community Blood Services laboratory in Paramus. Once received, the blood is tested, processed and banked. The cells are carefully stored in a cryogenic freezer using state-of-the-art procedures for optimal cell preservation; research indicates these cells could last indefinitely. The cells will be uniquely labeled, and no one can access these cells except the donor or the child at the age of consent.

Google is your friend...

Originally posted by Faerie+Jun 28 2004, 02:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Faerie @ Jun 28 2004, 02:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Jun 28 2004, 05:40 PM

*sigh*

Why donate Cord Blood"

You should REALLY do some research before asking such a question...

Cord blood retrieval is one of the latest breakthroughs in modern medical research. The umbilical cord contains blood that is very rich in stem cells that may be used instead of a bone marrow transplant. This program allows expectant parents to preserve their baby's cord blood for the child's future should the need arise.

What is cord blood?

Cord blood refers to the blood that remains in the umbilical cord and in the placenta after it is separated from the newborn following childbirth. The umbilical cord and placenta (also known as afterbirth) are expelled and usually discarded after childbirth.

The blood found in these organs is rich in a special cell type called stem cells. Stem cells not only generate all the cell types found in blood but they also can be used to treat a variety of life threatening diseases including leukemia, other cancers, blood and immune disorders, and sickle cell anemia.

Why donate cord blood?

Cord blood can be donated for one of two reasons. First, a parent may choose to donate the cord blood for use by the child or a sibling in the event one of those life threatening diseases develops. In this case the cord blood stem cells will be stored, and no one can access these cells except the parent or child at the age of consent. Second, the cord blood can be donated to the community, similar in principle to a routine blood donation. Under these circumstances the cord blood will be released for use by a qualified recipient, identified through a registry.

What are the advantages of saving cord blood?

1. Immediate availability of matching stem cells for your child, eliminating the need to search for a suitable bone marrow donor. 2. Cord blood has a better chance of being used by a sibling of the same parentsÑconsiderably higher than a bone marrow match.

3. Increased safety. Cord blood stem transplants have resulted in significantly lower incidence of life threatening side effects that occur in large percentages of bone marrow transplantations.

4. Cord blood stem cells are especially suited for use in gene therapy. Already, through gene therapy, cord blood cells have been used to cure children born with SCIDS, otherwise known as the "bubble boy" disease. Researchers are optimistic about similar treatments for AIDS, rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes.

Collection and Storage

The only time cord blood can be collected is immediately following the birth of a baby. In a simple 20 minute procedure, it is collected from the umbilical cord by the attending physician, nurse or technician after the placenta is expelled and after the umbilical cord is cut from the newborn. The procedure does not interfere in any way with the birthing experience. On occasion we are unable to collect sufficient cord blood to extract the stem cells. The blood is then sealed in specially designed packaging for immediate delivery to the Community Blood Services laboratory in Paramus. Once received, the blood is tested, processed and banked. The cells are carefully stored in a cryogenic freezer using state-of-the-art procedures for optimal cell preservation; research indicates these cells could last indefinitely. The cells will be uniquely labeled, and no one can access these cells except the donor or the child at the age of consent.

Google is your friend...

Why would I ask the question if I had already done the research. Why should I do it when it was YOU that made the assertion? All I asked you to do was back up your statement with facts. You did that nicely. Thank you, I think.

why do you feel the incessant need to doubt everything that everyone says? i actually had done little research on the matter, i had read a few pamplets....i didn't NEED to do RESEARCH to know the truth....

you're like a 4 year old "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?"...i'll tell you what my father always told me when i asked him WHY:

look it up, you may learn something...

Originally posted by Cal@Jun 30 2004, 10:02 AM

What makes you think that the babies' umbilical cord has stem cells? Where did you get that information?.....

------------------------

Why would I ask the question if I had already done the research. Why should I do it when it was YOU that made the assertion? All I asked you to do was back up your statement with facts. You did that nicely. Thank you, I think.

Because your question Cal made it sound like Faerie didn't know what she was talking about. You didn't ask if she could provide you with a link or book to Stem Cell Umbilical cord research - your question inferred she was talking out of her *****.

M.

Originally posted by Maureen+Jun 30 2004, 02:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Jun 30 2004, 02:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Jun 30 2004, 10:02 AM

What makes you think that the babies' umbilical cord has stem cells? Where did you get that information?.....

------------------------

Because your question Cal made it sound like Faerie didn't know what she was talking about. You didn't ask if she could provide you with a link or book to Stem Cell Umbilical cord research - your question inferred she was talking out of her *****.

M.

thank you maureen :)

Originally posted by Faerie@Jun 30 2004, 10:08 AM

why do you feel the incessant need to doubt everything that everyone says? i actually had done little research on the matter, i had read a few pamplets....i didn't NEED to do RESEARCH to know the truth....

you're like a 4 year old "why?" "why?" "why?" "why?"...i'll tell you what my father always told me when i asked him WHY:

look it up, you may learn something...

The reason I question what you say is evidenced in your statement " I don't need to do research to know the truth".

Apparently you are of the ilk that believe that knowledge just magically pops into your head. Be sure I will always ask for the source of people's factual assertions. Most people, like you apparently think that, if it's in your head, it must be true.

BTW---"my father always told me"????????????? Can't you think for yourself. Maybe YOU are the 4 year old.

cut the childish insults cal...it's really not becoming to you...you took what i said about my father out of context...

i'll tell you what my father always told me when i asked him WHY:

i was referencing to when i was growing up as child, and i would go to my father (as children do..or maybe you've been reading the encylopedia since you were 2 years old) and i would say "daddy why is it like this" or "daddy why does this do that" and my father would tell me to LOOK IT UP...instead of telling me, he taught me to learn for myself...perhaprs you overlooked the last part of my statement...

and this proves nothing:

The reason I question what you say is evidenced in your statement " I don't need to do research to know the truth".

Apparently you are of the ilk that believe that knowledge just magically pops into your head. Be sure I will always ask for the source of people's factual assertions. Most people, like you apparently think that, if it's in your head, it must be true.

you really ARE full of yourself....i trust my doctor when she presents the case for cord blood donation..i read a few pamplets..it wasn't IN MY HEAD...i read something, and agreed with it...sheesh...take a valium

Guest estump

Curvette...

I heard from my doctor that many people can walk around for a decade and not realize they are diabetics. My dietician said the same thing. I had literally walked around for about a decade feeling like crap!

I was always thin growing up....I could eat a bum load and I always felt like I couldn't get enough to eat...yet I could NEVER concentrate. I had to go to the bathroom all the time. Then again, I was drinking 15 to 20 8 ounces glasses of water a day. So I chalked it up to that...not realizing I should have never been that thirsty. I woke up w/ dots in my eyes...but I though I just had to get more sleep. I also started having light red patches show up on my back and neck. I've since learned they were yeast...and it was also a sign. I had doctors check them and they simply said I was allergic to my detergent. I could NEVER concentrate in school and now i've learned it is because my brain thought I wasn't eating, though I was eating all the time. I am honestly surprised I didn't go into a diabetic coma. I don't know how I managed, because my ketones were SO HIGH during that time. I can tell when they are now...by a sweet taste in my mouth....I still drink a lot of water, but now that my sugars are w/ in normal range for the most part...I don't wake up to go to the bathroom fifteen million times. It was my mom who pushed me to talk to my doctor before the normal gestational diabetic testing once my dad was diagnosed w/ type two...because he started doing all the crap I had been doing for the past ten years and then when he was diagnosed a lightbulb went off in my mom's head. She is a nurse too! She had thought I might have had low blood sugar....and mentioned it, but the doctors always dismissed her. She was miffed a lot while I was growing up. I am SURE had this happened NOW, I would have been tested right away. They didn't because I was the epitome of health by weight and activity or so they thought. I just learned how to do good feeling like crud!

When I first heard that it was yeast (the spots) was from a doctor that checked me over from head to toe while pregnant w/ my son. IT was a blessing I became pregnant when I did. It was a blessing I found and OB who listened and diagnosed me....albeit gestational until after all my kids were born. Anyone under 30 who becomes insulin dependent will be categorized as type 1.

All though my BS is just coming under control now...pregnancy was never easy on my body and keeping my sugars normal was even harder.

I digress....how is camp going for your daughter? She'll probably feel better once she sees it is actually meets other kids who deal w/ it too.

Originally posted by Faerie@Jun 30 2004, 01:57 PM

cut the childish insults cal...it's really not becoming to you...you took what i said about my father out of context...

i'll tell you what my father always told me when i asked him WHY:

i was referencing to when i was growing up as child, and i would go to my father (as children do..or maybe you've been reading the encylopedia since you were 2 years old) and i would say "daddy why is it like this" or "daddy why does this do that" and my father would tell me to LOOK IT UP...instead of telling me, he taught me to learn for myself...perhaprs you overlooked the last part of my statement...

and this proves nothing:

you really ARE full of yourself....i trust my doctor when she presents the case for cord blood donation..i read a few pamplets..it wasn't IN MY HEAD...i read something, and agreed with it...sheesh...take a valium

Why should I simply accept your assertions that you know something to be true without asking your for the source of your information? And why does it insult you so much to be questioned? If you thought I was trying to insult you, then I apologize for that. But you need to realize that no one is obliged to believe something you say just because you say it.

As to your analogy about believing doctors or other authorities on face value....perhaps I would have believed you if you could have presented some credentials in medicine.

Originally posted by Maureen+Jun 30 2004, 11:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Jun 30 2004, 11:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Jun 30 2004, 10:02 AM

------------------------

M.

My question did no such thing. I simply asked her to back up her assertion with a factual or authoritative source. Why should you or anyone else be offended to be asked for the source of your information?

Originally posted by Cal@Jul 2 2004, 08:59 AM

M.

My question did no such thing. I simply asked her to back up her assertion with a factual or authoritative source. Why should you or anyone else be offended to be asked for the source of your information?

It did so! :P And the fact that you're going on about asking the question, instead of actually interested in the answer, gives credence to me that you're just plain suspicious and would prefer to argue than get information. You could have easily just googled Stem Cell Umbilical cord research and been well informed without the tantrum.

M.

Guest curvette

Please Cal. Let's try to stick to the topic and helpful information. (thanks.) Erin--interesting story. I'm learning more every day about the disease. (Way more than I ever wanted to know! :) ) My little girl is home now. In fact we just got home with her. She had a great time, and is even doing her own shots now--at least she's trying. She is a brave little angel. I missed her soooooo much. I feel much better now that she's back. :D

Guest Starsky

I'm so happy she is home....and doing better....I guess it will get easier with time...

I pray the Lord will give you all strength....and eventually good health...