King James Version

Snow

Today a sister spoke in church. After listening for 15 seconds I tuned out and I opened up my new Martin Luther biography... but after a few minutes I had to stop reading and start paying attention. She gave a great talk, primarily about the KJV. Below are some interesting facts she covered (that I got from the internet):

B.        The Program for the Translation

1.    The number of translators

a.         54 men were appointed to the work, but only 47 actually worked on the translation

b.         Of them, The Translators to the Readers states, “In this confidence and with this devotion, did they assemble together; not too many, lest one should trouble another; and yet many, lest many things haply might escape them.”

2.    Their division – They were divided into six companies with two companies each located at three locations: Westminster, Cambridge, and Oxford.

3.    Their practice

a.         Each company was given a portion of the Bible to translate. Initially, each member of the company would make an individual translation. There were evidently at least seven members in each company, so each passage would be translated a minimum of seven times at this stage.

b.         Each company would then go over the work together and come up with a joint translation.

c.         The translations were then passed along to the five other companies for their review and correction.

d.         For the final review of the entire translation, a general committee was made up of two men from each of the original companies.

e.         In addition, other scholars not on the formal committees were encouraged to give comments and suggestions throughout the translation process.

f.           By using this method, each passage was closely gone over at least 14 times.

What she didn't talk about but I thought about was that about 95 years earlier William Tyndale translated and published the first English Language Bible. Whereas dozens and dozens of scholars took seven years to translate the KJV. Tyndale flew solo...

How good was his translation?

The KJV New Testament is 90% Tyndale. Of what Tyndale translated of the Old and New Testaments, the KJV accepted 80%.

If you hear a catchy phrase like: signs of times or fight the good fight - you're hearing Tyndale. In fact if you guess that the author of any significant phrase is either Shakespeare or Tyndale, you'll be right more often than wrong.

Course the Church confiscated all his Bibles they could find. They branded him a heretic. He was strangled to death and burned (probably in that order in Brussels in 1536, 85 years before the KJV came out. In the days of the Holy Roman Empire, do good deed went unpunished.

Guest Starsky

Very interesting Snow...thanks for sharing....geeze...you must have an awesome ward...between your talks and stuff like this....I could start to really enjoy church again.... :D !

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmm

The Bible...a very important book translated by MEN

The BOM...a very important book translated by a MAN

doesn't sound so bad thinking about it now does it?

Thank you for sharing the interesting facts

Guest curvette

I'd be interested in reading something translated by WOman! I'll bet there'd be a lot less mention of wars, and more detail about individual people.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by lindy9556@Jul 6 2004, 01:39 PM

hmmmm

The Bible...a very important book translated by MEN

The BOM...a very important book translated by a MAN

doesn't sound so bad thinking about it now does it?

Thank you for sharing the interesting facts

I read somewhere once, where the Bible was re-written by Shakespear....by King James command...that is why it has so much poetry and stuff in it..

Guest Chell
Originally posted by yaanufs+Jul 7 2004, 05:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yaanufs @ Jul 7 2004, 05:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@Jul 7 2004, 11:02 AM

and more detail about individual people.

Sort of information about how they had done their hair, what colour their nails were painted, who they were involved in a relationship with.........

Hey....welcome.... :D;)

Originally posted by Chell@Jul 7 2004, 12:00 PM

Hey....welcome.... :D;)

At least if a woman was involved in the translation of the Bible we would know for sure if Christ was or was not married. There is no way a woman would allow information like that to be omitted, including intimate details about the brides dress. ;)

And welcome to what?

I registered a long time ago. Stopped coming. Account was deleted through inactivity. Re-registered and there seems to be very, very little happening.

Is it just me or is this place pretty slow? Are there more dynamic discussion forums on the evils of the LDS church. Or a faster paced forum that may even be quite friendly to the Church?

I'll probably lurk around for a while and see if any lively topics crop up.

Hi yaanugs,

Nice to see you again.

The board tightened up the application of the rules and disallowed blatant Church bashing just for the sake of bashing so away went some controversy and things have been a little slow as of late; a bit too slow but all in all it seems like a healthy change.

Originally posted by shanstress70@Jul 7 2004, 04:00 AM

Actually, I'm more apt to believe something translated by 'men' so that we don't have to take one man's word for it.

um..*cough*...didn't the missionaries tell you that the spirit revelith the truth in all things? Thats the beauty of it. You don't have to take "one man's" word for it. You can ask God if its true and just take "one God's" word for it. ;)

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by yaanufs@Jul 7 2004, 11:16 AM

Is it just me or is this place pretty slow? Are there more dynamic discussion forums on the evils of the LDS church. Or a faster paced forum that may even be quite friendly to the Church?

There are more dynamic forums...but I don't think they allow us to post their links....too much competition... :D;)

Originally posted by Nina@Jul 9 2004, 12:11 PM

vaanufs< what is it you want to discuss?

Ha, ha, ha

You sound like a psychiatrist with a line like that.

I'll discuss anything, but there seems few people around to discuss much with. I'm probably out of my depth with the regulars and there seems to be nobody else here.

Originally posted by yaanufs+Jul 10 2004, 09:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yaanufs @ Jul 10 2004, 09:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Nina@Jul 9 2004, 12:11 PM

vaanufs< what is it you want to discuss?

Ha, ha, ha

You sound like a psychiatrist with a line like that.

I'll discuss anything, but there seems few people around to discuss much with. I'm probably out of my depth with the regulars and there seems to be nobody else here.

Well, if you'll discuss anything, then pick a topic, issue, controversy, etc. and start a thread. Don't wait around for everyone else to come up with a topic you are interested in.

Originally posted by Jenda@Jul 11 2004, 06:06 AM

Well, if you'll discuss anything, then pick a topic, issue, controversy, etc. and start a thread. Don't wait around for everyone else to come up with a topic you are interested in.

I think I'll stick with the tried and trusted approach of lurking for a while to figure out what's going on. If something takes my fancy I'll jump in.